Yet another Jorge WIP (with Pics...;-) )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erikm1811

Well guys, here goes my first WIP post. After much research on 405th and a few other sites, I've decided to start a new armor project, Jorge from Halo Reach. I'm going for a slightly different spin on the Jorge theme though. I'm using some Reach, Mark IV, and Mark VI pieces for my armor set. I figured at 6'3" and 280 lbs, I can pull off the Jorge look without any problem, as long as I can scale the pep files appropriately.

Edit: Figured I'd put a progress Pic that will updated in this post, since so many like to see that...LOL
progress-05.jpg

The Files I'm using for my armor are as follows:
Head – Jorge M2 by Forged Reclaimer or Grenadier by Forged Reclaimer with rework
Left Shoulder – Jorge Shoulder by Rhinoc
Right Shoulder – ODST w/ sniper plates by Nightshade w/ shrunk Gungnir Plates
Bicept – Combo of Reach Bicept by BMcClain and Reach Bicep by FR
Forearm – Mk IV Robby Benstreeper
Left Wrist – Carter Forearm Addon
Right Wrist – Jorge Forearm Addon
Handplates – Mk VI HD Handplate by Robogenesis
Back – Jorge Backpack Rhinoc unfold
Chest – New Jorge Torso L3X by Blueriver
Cod – MK IV Groin by Swisdemon
Thigh – Reach Thigh HD by Forged Reclaimer
Shin – Modified HD MKVI shin by Nickt
Boot – 3 Pt HD Mk VI boot

And here are a few pics of my Pep work so far:
JorgeBuildWIP001.jpg

JorgeBuildWIP002.jpg

JorgeBuildWIP003.jpg

JorgeBuildWIP004.jpg

JorgeBuildWIP006.jpg

JorgeBuildWIP005.jpg

So, long story short, I have 1 arm, 1 leg, the torso, and Backpack pepped, with the other arm, leg, codpeice, and helmet to go.
Please feel free to make suggestions and comment, I welcome constructive criticism (and praise...LOL)
And if anyone is in the Kansas City, Missouri area, please drop me a line. I'd be very interested in forming a Noble 6 group in this area for appearances and such.

And HUGE props to all the modelers and unfolders that have contributed to this community. Hopefully someday I can contribute back to the community in thanks.

In my opinion, you're doing an absolutely fantastic job. Your pep work looks immaculate. I can't wait to see this done. My best friend is 6'4", and I oversized a Mark V helmet a bit (at least I think I did. haven't posted pics to get opinions) Anyways. The helmet fits him, and what he doesn't know is that I'm at least planning to finish it and give it to him as a graduation gift, and so I'm dying to see how your suit looks all finished.

One question tho. How long did it take you to pep all that you have so far?

Looks great, how did you scale the chest piece? I'm still working on my MK VI build but am in the planning stages for a jorge build...

@ Murnhead - Well, I'm unemployed at the moment, so basically I've been working on the peps about 16 or so hours a day, except for this past weekend, since it was Easter.

@ Brkat02 - I enlisted the help of my wife and used a yardstick and 2 drumsticks and got height, width, and depth measurements all over my body, and then hoped like he** the original modeler designed the piece using those same measurements. Although honestly I made the chest and thighs a lil small to give me extra incentive to loose about 25 lbs...LOL

If anyone is interested in using the same spreadsheet I used for the measurements, just let me know. I've been using that form for all my armor orders for years. I make leather and Maille for Larp and sport combat.

Thanks for all the praise so far guys, but there really isn't any constructive criticism on it? It's my first attempt at Pep and I didn't think it looked all THAT clean, but maybe I'm my own worst critic.

Oh, and as far as the hardening stage goes, can you mix glassing and rondoing on the same piece? I'm thinking about resining the outside a cpl times for stiffness, then using rondo in the small detail areas, and glassing over the whole thing on the inside. Do you think that will work?

I don't think I've seen it done before, but there's no reason it shouldn't work. I've seen rondo and fiberglass used together on the same piece, yes, but not in this way. To be completely honest, I love this idea. It's a weight saver because you're not rondoing the whole inside, and the worst part of fiberglassing is getting the mat to hug corners. You are talking about rondoing the details on the inside, right?

No constructive criticism needed those peps look great. The only thing I could tell is maybe a slight bit of warpage on the top of the backpack. It could just be the way I'm looking at it though. Nothing a little bondo can't take care of.

As for the hardening question, that should work out fine. Just keep that rondo on the inside. It's a lot tougher to sand than normal bondo if you put it on the outside.

@ Senti3nt6 - True, it really isn't fully Jorge, but he's the primary inspiration for the kit, and when it's finished, I think peeps would see this as Jorge, so that's what I called the post...LOL

@ Bishorzidi - Yes, Rondoing the inside fine details to solidify it, and then glassing over the top of that for smooth finish and continual strength. I just wasn't sure about how well the glass would bond to the rondo, just haven't worked with the materials before.

@ EMAW09 - Thanks for the praise and the info, yes, the Rondo will be on the inside. And I agree about the warpage, it is there, I almost scrapped the backpack because of it. But I figured bondo WILL hide many sins...LOL.

As a side note, the backpack is in 2 pieces and not very stable as it is, Ill prolly be treating it like a weapon and filling it with expanding foam after hardening it to give it a lil mass. You guys think that will be necessary or will it be fine once hardened?

I don't have any experience with using expanding foam on armor props. I have read through some threads on here where people have used it and destroyed their creations. I guess if I were you, I would start with the glassing and rondo. If you still feel like it needs something read through the creation discussion threads and learn from others mistakes before messing up your own.

Your pep work....is FANTASTIC. I wish mine was that clean right 'bout now, its full of nasty excess hot glue >:I Looking forward to seeing this project completed!!

Your pep work....is FANTASTIC. I wish mine was that clean right 'bout now, its full of nasty excess hot glue >:I Looking forward to seeing this project completed!!

Try a tacky craft glue. People on this forum swear by hot glue, but I could never get it to work for me. I always had a problem with overapplying and the little glue strings. Tacky glue works great for me.

@Kaiiser - thanks for the praise..;-)
As far as the overapplying and the strings go, I get them also, but I just rub it with my thumb and it comes off, as long as it hasn't hardened first. I also go over the joins that are a bit "fuzzy" with the glue gun tip, it melts the excess glue and then you can wipe it off. The first piece I pepped I used superglue, since I've been a collector of tabletop games (Go Games Workshop!!) and I've worked with it so often, but I ended up tossing the piece because it just was too warped.

Very Small Update, Only one more piece done... ;-(

Hiya guys, Real life has reared it's ugly head again, as a result I haven't gotten much done, but here is one more piece...My right shoulder piece, not really sure if I'll use this or not, but wanted to try something a lil....weird I guess.

This is temporarily assembled with masking tape.
JorgeBuildWIP007.jpg

And here are the individual pieces. The Gungnir Symbol is applied with 1/4 EVA foam, much easier than Pep...LOL
JorgeBuildWIP008.jpg

You have VERY GOOD pepping skills!
Keep this up and you'll have an Epic suit.

Cheers!

Thanks so much Longshot-X, I've been watching your work for some time. The fact you think it's good means alot, at least to me...heh...;-)

Although I'd still like to know if there are any members in the KC area that would like a "Jorge-ish" member for their group..I would really like to see a group of Spartans.

Oh and as a side note, I Pepped the boot covers the other day...they are really HUGE!.. Not sure if I need to size them down a bit and repep or not.

Your welcome!

Its true. Your folds are clean and straight. Little or no warping. Your edge id's are lined up. Your doing a pep/foam hybrid build. Good detailed parts... all of this is observable in your photos.

I definitly stand by what I said. "VERY GOOD". You deserve a pat on the back.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back