You Guessed It. An Odst Helmet, Plus A Few Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanyguy

Hello everyone, a bit new here, but after looking at all the killer helmets/costumes/suits made on here, I had to give it a try.

So I downloaded Pepakura, as well as the Halo 2 ODST helmet (seemed like a simple, yet cool idea), and I printed everything out on some nice thick paper. After an hour of cutting and 5 hours of folding, gluing, and taping, the helmet is near complete. What I would do is glue the little tabs together with Mod Podge, and then use some scotch tape over it to hold it in place while the glue dries. After reading around, it seems that a majority of people have had problems with their customs being ruined due to the fibreglass resin melting the tape and the mask falling apart. I have a few questions regarding the issue:

-Since I did use Mod Podge glue on the tabs and tape over it, will it still be okay to use fibreglass resin since it apparently just melts the tape off?

-Should I just snip off the tape tomorrow after the glue settles, and then re enforce with more Mod Podge?

-The is a lot of Mod Podge coming out in different spots, will the fibreglass resin go on the Mod Podge fine?

And here are a few pictures of it (have one more spot to glue on and that part's done!):

[attachment=12752:ODST1.jpg]

[attachment=12753:ODST2.jpg]

[attachment=12754:ODST3.jpg]

[attachment=12755:ODST5.jpg]

In these 2 pictures, you can see the light layer of Mod Podge on the outside and inside of the masks:

[attachment=12756:ODST4.jpg]

[attachment=12757:ODST6.jpg]

Any tips/advice would be great, I'll post pictures once it's finished. Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the compliment :D I read around and apparently Mod Podge is good, just the tape being melted by the Fibreglass resin I'm worried about. I've been peeling as much of it off as I can, but it's taking some of the paper with it and I just don't want to have any weak spots (although it could make for some interesting battle damage)

Allright cool. Can't wait, tomorrow I'm going to put the fibreglass resin on (as long as it isn't raining), and then I'll buy the fibreglass cloth for the inside. I'll keep posting pics as I work along. thanks again for the help!

well i used scotch tape on one of my pep helmets before and the resin didnt really do anything to it. maybe i got lucky :p. oh yeah i think theres an hd halo 2 odst helmet out there somewhere.

daftndirekt said:
well i used scotch tape on one of my pep helmets before and the resin didnt really do anything to it. maybe i got lucky :p. oh yeah i think theres an hd halo 2 odst helmet out there somewhere.

Sweet, glad to hear the scotch tape held. And HD helmet eh? Just more detailed, or..?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back