Youth ODST/Spartan Hybrid WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

OptimusWang

Jr Member
So my nephew wants to be Sgt Buck for Halloween (apparently even 6 year olds <3 Nathan Fillion), but he wants him to be a spartan. The plan is to do an ODST helmet and chest, with the rest of the pieces coming from the Mark VI armor. I've built lots of SCA armor over the years, but never anything quite like this.

Anyway, on to the pics! :D

To get this done on time I bought a cheap, rough-cast ODST helmet off ebay. To be honest, I'm really disappointed with it - it's obvious the original was warped to hell and there's no symmetry between the two sides. That said, he probably won't care or even notice.
originalhelmet.jpg

After a first coat of black:
helmet1.jpg

Masked off for the green:
helmet2.jpg

After pulling the tape:
helmet3.JPG

Argh, I majorly screwed up yesterday. I took too long applying the resin and it started to ball up on the the thigh, so now I'm having to dremel the heck out of it to get the surface back to being flat and smooth:
leg-rough.JPG

Did much better on the arm. I would like to spend more time sanding down some of these hard edges, but I don't think it's going to happen in time for Halloween:
arm-painted.jpg

So I went over there tonight and it's all too small. Not a ton, but he can't get his wrist through the forearm opening or his knee through the thigh :(

Any suggestions on saving this, or am I stuck scaling it up and trying again?

i might keep an eye on this thread, im also building a spartan/odst suit, mine is based off of the reach MJOLNIR MKV(b) variant armor, maybe we could collaborate ideas to make these suits the best they can be!

I've been meaning to update the thread, but the last two weeks have been crazy. Anyway, on to the pics :)

Side-by-side of the first arm and the new one. I had no idea how off I was until I saw them together:
arm-comparison.jpg

After some dry brushing:
arm-detail.jpg

Keeping him up late to test the fit :D
test-fit.jpg

Just need the chest piece now:
armor.jpg

Bleh, I can't edit that above post for some reason. Anyway, I'm basically out of time on the chest so I'll be skipping the rondo and going straight for the hot glue method on the chest to get everything finished by Thursday.

Also, I found one of the AR knockoffs in the Toys-R-Us bargain bin:
rifle.jpg

Bleh, I can't edit that above post for some reason. Anyway, I'm basically out of time on the chest so I'll be skipping the rondo and going straight for the hot glue method on the chest to get everything finished by Thursday.

Also, I found one of the AR knockoffs in the Toys-R-Us bargain bin:
rifle.jpg

What is the AR look alike made from?

Haven't updated this in awhile since it's been a mad rush to finish on time :)

Here's the chest pepped:
chest-pep.jpg

Resined:
chest-resin.jpg

Primed & sanded:
chest-sanded.jpg

Finished:
chest-detail.jpg

Bonus pic - this is what he saw when he walked into the house the next day:
master-chair.jpg

I forgot the most important pic! Here's him in his costume:
finished-costume.jpg

To me it looks a little big on him, but to actually get everything on and comfortable I had to dremel and jigsaw quite a bit of it away last night. Granted, some of that was from the rondo warping but it felt like I was chopping out bits everywhere. Is there a standard way to make these easier to get into & out of?

All that aside, he loves it and was grinning ear to ear once he put it on. Thanks to everybody who answered my endless questions, there's no way I could have put this together in under a month w/o your help :D

actually, I think the scaling is as good as it's going to get. Kids heads are ALWAYS bigger proportionally until fully grown... It looks really good! Probably going to have a ton of jealous kids tailing him... :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back