Zaeldren's ODST WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaeldren

Hey guys. Decided I should probably post about the project I'm working on. What I've decided to do is make an ODST costume (original, eh?). So far what I'm working on is the helmet, as I will shortly be making an extended trip to Japan for a few months, so I want to have a finished helmet to get me into making the whole shebang.

Here's a picture of the helmet thus far:
helmetwip1.jpg

I've got the pep file constructed as you can see, and I have resined it. Since this was my first attempt at resining, it's quite sloppy, but I figure I'll clean that up during the touchup stage after I get the rondo inside. Either tonight or tomorrow I'll get that rondo in so I can have as much time as possible to touchup and cover this puppy in bondo.

Here's a video of it. It's easier for me to ramble on film about the project than it is to type it all out.

Special thanks go to RUNDOWN for making the pep file I used, and to Ben Streeper for his awesome videos that have pretty much taught me everything I could have hoped for to get this ball going.

helmetwip2.jpg

Got the helmet reinforced with rondo. It took a couple coats, as the cups I was working with were a bit small, so the colors are different due to differing amounts of hardener. However, before I move on to the next steps, I'd appreciate some advice.

When it comes to sanding the thing prior to applying the bondo, how much smoothing is handled by sanding out unwanted corners, and how much is handled by the bondo? I have never worked with straight bondo before, so I don't know how it applies to the surface. I guess namely I'd like to know is do I sand the thing smooth so the bondo goes on smooth, or do I let the bondo do most of the work, and only sand down troubled angles?

Thanks in advance.

First off, looking great!
as for the bondo, it should go on fine as is, I rarely do any sanding before applying bondo. There are a million ways to skin a cat though, its whatever you find works best for you. There will be bubble holes, valleys, and crevices in the dried and sanded bondo, but that wil happen regardless of pre-sanding. You just fill those in with more bondo and sand again, or fill with spot putty if the pits/crevices are small enough.

Usually after applying bondo and then sanding, I do find that I end up sanding though the paper layer on certain spots, but as you are using Rondo on the interior, it should maintain a fairly even texture.

Best of luck, looking great so far.

helmetwip3.jpg

I've run into what I think might be a bit of a problem. I'm applying bondo to the outside to smooth it, but the stuff is going on very rough. I understand that it won't be perfect, as that's what the final sanding is for, but it just seems to not be going right, to me. Does the above picture look ok to you guys who are more experience with the stuff?

How are you applying the bondo? This video has some good information as far as the application process is concerned.
(skip to 3:43 in vid)

I find that applying it with bondo knives over small thin layers in sections is best, there is quite a bit of bondo on this helmet but it will be just a matter of sanding and reapplying to fill in the pitting - or you may find that starting a new helm will be faster, (im a slow sander). Might take some elbow grease but WE BELIEVE IN YOU!!!

Keep up the good work we look forward to seeing your new helm

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the advice! I busted out the ol' electric sanding tool and started working on it with a low grit paper, and things really started smoothing out. I think I can combine it with the dremel tool to be able to get everything looking perfect. I should have it all ready to make a mother mold by the end of tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back