1st Build ZiggyGrimm's Halo Infinite Build - Fiberglass/ Carbonfiber Over Foam

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZiggyGrimm

Graphics Assistant and RMO
405th Regiment Officer
Community Staff
Spartans and Civilians (and everyone in between)! Welcome to my terrifyingly ambitious first Halo build. This summer (and beyond) I'll be building a non-canon Spartan suit based on the upcoming Halo Infinite game. This thread is going to be an overview of the whole process! It can also serve as a tutorial for how to fiberglass/ carbon fiber over foam (or I can post that separate, I'm new, I don't know how any of this works).

The major difference between this build and a traditional foam build is a few extra steps that give the foam the durability and accuracy of a 3d print, but with the weight of a (slightly heavier) foam build.

I will, of course, need everyone's help making some crucial decisions along the way as I am a bit of a n00b.

Materials
- Foam in various sizes and densities
- Fiberglass Mat/ Cloth (not the loose stuff... it is a pain for this)
- Carbon Fiber 1 & Carbon Fiber 2
- Resin for Carbon Fiber (super clear)
- Resin for Fiberglass (off-yellow normally, but we are going to paint it!)
- Suit lining material (black with some stretch... or leather if you can recycle it on the cheap via thrifting)
- Various buckles and straps
- Boa lace systems for the chest (not sure if this is brilliant or stupid)
- Heavy-duty magnets
- Lights (should I put in lights?)
- Fans (various)
- Speaker Systems (various)
- Power Banks (various)
- Spray glue and contact cement
- Spray paint and sealer
- Undersuit materials (To be determined)
- ???

Suit Components:
Helmet - Purchased from 39Bullets Airsoft (the non-airsoft cosplay version, don't worry moderators, there will be no airsoft talk in this post... I don't airsoft)
Helmet speaker system - see the awesome tutorial here by MoeSizzlac
Helmet Fan System - custom job... will need to assess space once the helmet arrives.
Visor - To be determined. (I'm open to suggestions!)
Torso by xtreemenoob - Infinite Chest low poly - I'm currently working on unfolding and sizing this in Pepakura for foam.
The rest of the body will be from MarineSniper and MoeSizzlac, who were gracious enough to pass their hard work along!

View attachment 290672

Last edited:
Now that's gonna be one hell of a build! I'm very interested to see how you pull of fiberglass on foam. I've only ever seen one or the other.
I’m pumped for it. I’ve done a carbon fiber/ fiberglass on foam for my Batman suit... but this will be more complex than that one was.
2601CFA0-EB96-4E3E-8C12-B33C5C615A34.jpeg
2BBC2871-1B5D-4BEC-B0F4-43F5E0AF7CCF.jpeg

All right... first update... I have finished deconstructing the beautiful 3D model of the Halo Infinite chest piece by MoeSizzlac. This is a foam template, I removed duplicate pieces (as you can just flip the paper over) and denoted which pages need a Left and Right foam cut.

This is my first attempt at doing something like this in Pepakura... so hopefully, someone else finds this helpful. I'll be doing the same with the rest of Moe's build for foam in the coming days and weeks!

[EDIT 1] - I'm going to use this post to post up all of the .pdo files for the foam build as I make them/ reorganize them. I'll be adding time-lapse and real-time videos of the individual component builds with a voiceover to walk everyone through the tricky/ intricate parts (in the coming months... I'm taking my sweet time on this beautiful monster).

Attachments

• Halo Infinite - Masterchief - Shoulder and Bicep - Low Poly (Print twice) [Foam].pdo
    476.2 KB · Views: 278
  • Halo Infinite - Masterchief - Chest [Foam].pdo
    772.3 KB · Views: 349
Last edited:
Has anyone used these on their suit? I picked up four zip-lacing systems... my thought is I can use them to quickly loosen and tighten some of the harder pieces to take on/off. Thoughts?
Zip Lacing System.jpg
IMG_9683.jpg
boa-0-640x640.jpg

Last edited:
Do you have a link to more info on the zip-lacing? It is hard to tell from the picture how they are use.

Do you have a link to more info on the zip-lacing? It is hard to tell from the picture how they are use.
I've added more pictures. I'll be attaching them on top of the shoulders under the flap looking bit (it will flip up for access).

Where did you snag those from? Also, the only thing I see possibly being an issue is getting caught in the line.
Send me a DM, it was a seller on AliExpress, but they sell shoes with them built-in, I asked if I could just buy the mechanism on the cheap. The line will be contained in the foam which will be covered in fabric (that can be peeled back for access if the line breaks or something) so it can't get snagged on anything. Looking forward to showing that part off once I get it built.

Send me a DM, it was a seller on AliExpress, but they sell shoes with them built-in, I asked if I could just buy the mechanism on the cheap. The line will be contained in the foam which will be covered in fabric (that can be peeled back for access if the line breaks or something) so it can't get snagged on anything. Looking forward to showing that part off once I get it built.

Nice, I'll hit you up in a bit brother. Thanks!

Minor update... I purchased a Halo Infinite visor from Branfhur Studios to go with my helmet.

Attachments

• 4A24E8AD-06D7-4830-872B-514B9CD60DD8.jpeg
    4A24E8AD-06D7-4830-872B-514B9CD60DD8.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 304
  • 76B8DDC7-54EB-4519-9BB9-F7F344443E17.jpeg
    76B8DDC7-54EB-4519-9BB9-F7F344443E17.jpeg
    975.4 KB · Views: 328
  • 8034D4CA-5AC4-41F4-9442-E5EFC245DF57.jpeg
    8034D4CA-5AC4-41F4-9442-E5EFC245DF57.jpeg
    637.1 KB · Views: 315
All right... first update... I have finished deconstructing the beautiful 3D model of the Halo Infinite chest piece by MoeSizzlac. This is a foam template, I removed duplicate pieces (as you can just flip the paper over) and denoted which pages need a Left and Right foam cut.

This is my first attempt at doing something like this in Pepakura... so hopefully, someone else finds this helpful. I'll be doing the same with the rest of Moe's build for foam in the coming days and weeks!

[EDIT 1] - I'm going to use this post to post up all of the .pdo files for the foam build as I make them/ reorganize them. I'll be adding time-lapse and real-time videos of the individual component builds with a voiceover to walk everyone through the tricky/ intricate parts (in the coming months... I'm taking my sweet time on this beautiful monster).

Keep us updated! I'm real keen to see your progress as someone else who's trying to make the Infinite Chief armor. As a first time builder of this stuff, I'd be very keen to see that real-time/time-lapse video of you assembling it. Seems way more complicated than anything else I've had to build with EVA Foam.

Last edited:
Keep us up to date with your progress! I'm keen to give the Infinite Armour a go

Keep us updated! I'm real keen to see your progress as someone else who's trying to make the Infinite Chief armor. As a first time builder of this stuff, I'd be very keen to see that real-time/time-lapse video of you assembling it. Seems way more complicated than anything else I've had to build with EVA Foam.
Will do. The pandemic has made it exceptionally hard for me to track down some of the supplies I need and some materials (carbon fiber, helmet, visor, and battle rifle) are all ordered but stuck in the mail. I’m hoping most show up soon to provide me with some morale.

This week my goal is to finish up the right gauntlet pepakura file. if I get that done I’ll start the left. I might do some printing and cutting and show off my prep/ organizational skills to keep my workflow tidy and keep me sane.

A question to the 405th squad... how the hell do you scale these gauntlets? If the wrist hole is big enough, the inner arm is way too long. If the inner arm is the right size, the hand hole is made for ants.

A question to the 405th squad... how the hell do you scale these gauntlets? If the wrist hole is big enough, the inner arm is way too long. If the inner arm is the right size, the hand hole is made for ants.
A few things I've seen and will try is a to choose the size where it fits comfortably around your arm and wrist, then cut a slit, astetically to the armor, and use magnets and velcro to attach it on your arm so it looks like you slipped it on but you basically have a latch to snap it open and just pull off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back