First Papakura anything ODST Helm

Status
Not open for further replies.

NightHawk

So okay here we go.. Started working the helmet last night my fiancé did the scaling and we are hoping it worked. Sadly I did not get to use all 110 paper. We used what we believe is 80lb which is holding up nicely and 120lb. But since its the first helm and learning scaling we figured w/e. Everyone was out of 110lb...

Dome
006.jpg
Side portion top

007.jpg
Got bored dealing with the top so went to the front
008.jpg
Lower front portion of visor
009.jpg

What I completed that night.

010.jpg
If you want to give any tips or advice always up for it lol.
Also what I told my fiancé every time I burnt myself, "Hot glue is hot..."

I did quite a bit I got about nearly half of the helmet done on day two my fiancé helped me out :) I only have the top portion of the helmet glued the rest is attached via binder clips which are very handy. BUy the minis.
20141011_234753.jpg
20141011_234743.jpg
I posted the bottom picture because those two part which are seen in the middle of the second picture. These two pieces were the biggest pain in the butt..
20141011_220552.jpg

I remember being at this stage during my build, oh the nostalgia! keep it up! Looks good so far! IMO, super glue works best for pep files. No more burnt fingers but be prepared for glued fingertips

I only have the top portion of the helmet glued the rest is attached via binder clips which are very handy. BUy the minis.

I have about 200 mini clips from when I did my bucket.

Have you tried using white glue like elmer's? Everyone has their own preference, and I swear by white glue when pepping. It gives you time to make sure you set the tabs right and it doesn't burn or stick or get everywhere. Try everything and see what you like!

I have about 200 mini clips from when I did my bucket.

Have you tried using white glue like elmer's? Everyone has their own preference, and I swear by white glue when pepping. It gives you time to make sure you set the tabs right and it doesn't burn or stick or get everywhere. Try everything and see what you like!

I thought about Elmer's glue but im to inpatient. Ive messed up quite a few times with the hot glue but I have a lot of extra sharp razors to handle it. So far I haven't cut myself. But ill probably give it a try because the parts I have completed are bigger pieces which are easy but the smaller ones are becoming a headache.

Why not try a contact adhesive? I personally use UHU All-Purpose - works a charm, and gives me a little work time before it dries.

I do have a question for anyone readying this but once putting the helmet together do you trim the tabs on the inside to create more room for attachments inside the helm?

- - - Updated - - -

Why not try a contact adhesive? I personally use UHU All-Purpose - works a charm, and gives me a little work time before it dries.
Ill have to take a look at that.

I do have a question for anyone readying this but once putting the helmet together do you trim the tabs on the inside to create more room for attachments inside the helm?

I used the same helmet and I thought about it, but I decided just to leave it as is. If anything the tabs create more mounting points, even if they take up a little space

Okay so I didn't post yesterday or take pictures of my progress. I will say do the freaking ear parts and the end part of gluing the last bits together were hard. So here is pictures of it all put together. So this weekend me and my fiancé will resin and fiberglass and maybe bondo. I will say I am happy with the construction, I feel it is spot on. However I feel the helmet is rather large ill leave it up to the community to judge if it is fairly large. I do not want it to look like I am a oversized bobble head. We are going to go through with the project and make it look all pretty. Not entirely sure if we want to make it a fully functional helmet because we feel it is to large. I leave it to the community to speak its mind it looks good or it looks a little to big. I am always down for making another helmit.
Halo 075.jpg

Halo 076.jpg
Halo 080.jpg
Halo 079.jpg

SO it has been awhile since I have updated so here we go.
Started to resin the helmet this is the end result. I ended up putting one coat just on the top. Sadly due to time restrictions and weather issues.. Me and my fiancés ended up just applying one layer to the entire helmet that day.
Luckily there was no warping on the tops side of front.
There was a bit of warping on the back bottom edge.
042.jpg

041.jpg
Okay so ended up using the technique Rondo style. Body Filler mixed with Resin.
This did make it a bit heavier but I actually like the weight. The helmet is very very sturdy I basically punched the helmet once it hardened and I hurt myself....
One issue I ran into was the outside since it only had one coat of resin which made it a bid bendable. This was a issue because we had the helmet sit on the top and it put a bit of a divit on the top portion of the helmet which we fixed with some body filler.
049.jpg

I really do like how solid the helmet is now. I will say I need to touch up the inside with some body filler and some resin. From my previous comment of warping a bit, you can set the Rear rim of the helmet that is warped out a bit. I managed to fix this a bit and that was I put some rondo on the inside of the lip there and held if for a couple of minutes and it helped a bit. Ill just end up using some body filler to make it look pretty again. I will say the inside of the helmet I intend to sand a lot with a dremel tool some areas it is a bit thicker and where the edges are its a bit pointy need some sanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back