kitnip's Halo 4 Master Chief foam build with custom paint scheme and undersuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well you've done it!! I'd say you've earned yourself a place up the with the top builders. That suit is just beautiful! I can't wait now till the under suit and paint are done. At the same I don't want it done! Then there will be no more updates.

Well DAYM!! I leave for a week or two and I come back and you've finished your suit! Now the fun part... Paint it :)

Wow is all I can say. Very nice foam work. Can't wait to see progress of undersuit.
Thank you! The undersuit is going to be an adventure lol, I can't wait to see it too.

AWESOME!! This all looks fantastic!
YAY! Thank yoou

This.... Is.....AMAZING! Each piece is so well crafted but seeing them all together at once is even better!
Lol, I know it's so exciting! I WANT TO SEE YOURS! Get on it :p

Way cool, that is some serious detail there

one of the best foam armors I think I've ever seen. Amazing work. Now looking forward to the under suit. Have snaps to fasten the armor would be a nice idea, and if done correctly would make the look so much cleaner. Good luck.

Relly well done detailling, you look badass! :cool

Thank you all!!

Well you've done it!! I'd say you've earned yourself a place up the with the top builders. That suit is just beautiful! I can't wait now till the under suit and paint are done. At the same I don't want it done! Then there will be no more updates.
Lol! Thank you, that means a lot coming from the King of Foam :p

Well DAYM!! I leave for a week or two and I come back and you've finished your suit! Now the fun part... Paint it :)
Omg, I wanna paint it so bad you have no idea. But I'm making myself wait until my undersuit is done lol. I must set these punishments for myself or else I won't get the dumb thing done lol!

Quickie update!

Nothing to do with the undersuit but...

My motto is when something is pretty awesome... it's about 10x awesomer when it has LED's. BEHOLD!

LEGEND-WAITFORIT-

DARY
0tNLgop.jpg

0EGlMdH.jpg

Firstly, they are WHITE LEDs... not blue... no idea why the pictures look so blue lol.

Second, they aren't really THAT bright. The camera makes them glow more.

Third, ignore the messy foam bits stuck all over the back it. I had to do some renovations to make room for the magnets and things are still under construction back there.

Fourth, it's late and I still need to watch Game of Thrones so I gotta get to bed!

More to come soon!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow this is a really good build! :)

Jeeeeezus! This is absolutly stunning!!there's just no other words to be said here. Except YOU ROCK!!!!

Really nice job! Those LEDs set it off perfectly.

Oooooo pretty! Looking forward to your take on the under suit.

Thank you all!! Your comments mean so much, they really keep me wanting to keep on workin' :)

Another little update

Again, nothing to do with the undersuit (Sewing really isn't my specialty AT ALL, so it's going to take a bit) but my airbrush came in the mail and I REAAAAAAAALLY wanted to try it out!

Here's a taste as to what my paint scheme is going to be :)

tEo1zg7.jpg

First time ever using an airbrush; I loved it! But I still have some learning to do.

Hopefully my next post with the undersuit will be soon!! Thanks guys!!

Before I say anything let me apologize if my questions have previously been answered.

What airbrush do you have? Would you mind linking me what you have?
What kind of foam is that? Where did you purchase it? Again another link would be appreciated.
Are you using hot glue to put everything together?

That's all I got for now. You are doing some EXCELLENT work! I've been wanting to do this exact build myself. (different colors though, fan of original colors :p) But keep up the good work! I'm excited to see your progress.

bloody hell this is amazing work, with a fantastic amount of detail i can't actually wait to see it finished :D

^ +1,
that is brilliant work, the colours scheme looks interesting, and please do link the airbrush equipment used would kill to get my hands a good setup

I concur with everyone here. The suit is coming along beautifully! The paint work you have done is also great.

I too am at the stage of lighting and painting and will be airbrushing as I have all the compressor malarkey to go with it. The thing I have been giving a lot of thought is the type of painting procedure. I am interested to know what worked for you.

My plans currently revolve around Plasti Dip and having it mixed in custom colours so its an exact match to carters armour with a 50/50 thinner mix and plenty of coats. I will then add the metalizer to give it that metallic look but wont gloss it. The detail would then be done with normal paint and I intend to you some glow in the dark plasti dip to replicate some covenant blood. My only worry is that this method will get expensive VERY quickly.

did you go down the PVA and normal paint route?

This is looking amazing! And I completely agree, the paint job is looking awesome! I can't wait to see more on this.

Before I say anything let me apologize if my questions have previously been answered.

What airbrush do you have? Would you mind linking me what you have?
What kind of foam is that? Where did you purchase it? Again another link would be appreciated.
Are you using hot glue to put everything together?

That's all I got for now. You are doing some EXCELLENT work! I've been wanting to do this exact build myself. (different colors though, fan of original colors :p) But keep up the good work! I'm excited to see your progress.

bloody hell this is amazing work, with a fantastic amount of detail i can't actually wait to see it finished :D

^ +1,
that is brilliant work, the colours scheme looks interesting, and please do link the airbrush equipment used would kill to get my hands a good setup

I concur with everyone here. The suit is coming along beautifully! The paint work you have done is also great.

I too am at the stage of lighting and painting and will be airbrushing as I have all the compressor malarkey to go with it. The thing I have been giving a lot of thought is the type of painting procedure. I am interested to know what worked for you.

My plans currently revolve around Plasti Dip and having it mixed in custom colours so its an exact match to carters armour with a 50/50 thinner mix and plenty of coats. I will then add the metalizer to give it that metallic look but wont gloss it. The detail would then be done with normal paint and I intend to you some glow in the dark plasti dip to replicate some covenant blood. My only worry is that this method will get expensive VERY quickly.

did you go down the PVA and normal paint route?

OOOOOO i like the paint scheme

This is looking amazing! And I completely agree, the paint job is looking awesome! I can't wait to see more on this.

That paint job is awsome! I especially like the weathering you did, it looks so real.

Thank you all! It's really exciting to stray away from the mainstream colors and have something a lot different and more original!

Alrighty, I'll answer what I can!

Where I got my stuff:
Foam:
I bought the foam from amazon, check it out here.

You can find the same mats on amazon.com if you are from the states. That's the 3/8" thickness foam. I also used craft foam that I bought from Michaels, although I'm sure you can find the craft foam and any arts and crafts store. The craft foam thicknesses are 2mm and 6mm. I used these ones to detail my armor whereas the thick foam served as the "base" of each armor piece.

I mostly used hot glue to put everything together but I also used spray glue to stick on the thin craft foam (2mm). The spray adhesive won't bubble underneath like hot glue does and therefore your foam is very smooth looking. I can't remember what brand I used, but I also bought it at Michael's. BUT, I have noticed with the spray adhesive it sometimes doesn't bond the edges very well and I often have to seal them down with hot glue.

Airbrush
As for the airbrush, I also got it from amazon here. Again, you can get the same one off amazon.com and it's actually CHEAPER and the shipping is FREE. Not fair because I had to pay $150 total lol.

Since this was my first time airbrushing ever, I wasn't about to buy some expensive thing so I got this one which had really good reviews for the price.

Paint
I used Liquitex Basics acrylic paint (which I also got from Michael's). This is a fairly cost effective paint with high pigment. THIS PAINT IS VERY THICK. You need to thin your paint. Think that all of your paint is actually being sprayed through a tiny needle. A fairly common rule is to thin your paint to a milk like consistency. Keep in mind there are some factors that will affect what kind of viscosity you need:

1) Pressure. The more psi the thicker paint you can use. Too thick will result in skipping or not even spraying at all. Too thin and it will run or spatter.
2) Paint. From what I understand some paint pigments have a larger molecule size then others so the type of paint will be a factor
3) The actual airbrush. Some are better then others. Some may spray some paint while others can't.

You can buy actual paint meant for airbrushes. It's already at the right viscosity so you don't have to fiddle around with that, but you may be limited to color choice and they are also a bit more expensive.

That's why I decided to use just the regular acrylic paint and thin it. From what I read, it's best to thin your paint with Airbrush Medium. I couldn't find any of that in Edmonton so I had to make due. I used Iridescent Medium (this medium gives your paint the metallic look) and then thinned the rest with regular water. I guess it's not recommended to use water to thin your paint because of some kind of surface tension mumbo jumbo, but I've found that it's been working just fine.

My painting steps:

I followed LilTyrant's painting method.

I sealed my foam pieces with Plasti-Dip aerosol. I've used Mod Podge before but I found it left paint strokes and just didn't look at clean. You can try the aerosol Mod Podge but I've never tried it so I can't really vouch for it.

I applied 2-3 VERY LIGHT coats of the black Plasti-Dip to seal them.

Once I thought my paint was thinned to the right consistency (it took a couple tries) I started by airbrushing the piece in silver as my base. This also took a couple coats as silver is very thin. Once I liked how it looked I started airbrushing my main color (charcoal grey). I didn't completely cover up the silver as you want it to show through to give it that metal effect. After that I did the blackwash step and sprayed black into all the crevices to really make my armor pop. Then as my final step I highlighted all the edges with silver. I DID NOT use my airbrush for this step. I did the dry-brush method and used a plain paint brush. Viola! Done!

I'm not sure if I'm going to seal it with either a matte or gloss finish. (If anyone has done this; did it help?)

Wow, that was a long post. But I think I got everything. If you guys have any more questions, just let me know!

Happy building!!

Cheers mate, seems to me that going down this route will be a hell of a lot cheaper! I hopr 2.5 litres of plastidip will be enough to seal the whole suit.

wow! this build is really amazing! :D I sure hope when i start my build, that it would come out as great as this. I plan on using the foam method as well. This is very inspirational as well. Now i will feel better about making the master chief's suit seeing that there are girls out there rockin' it. :D Keep up the good work! i look forward to seeing your build finished. d-(^^)z

That's not foam! You've secretly swapped out your pieces with forged metal when nobody was looking! Your mistake, because now they will be MUCH heavier when you put them on. (Yeah, they look that good - very well done there on the painting!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back