3D printed chest piece - How to connect it together and take it off

Draxes

The little clasping system that the 3D printed models come are for show only. They break as soon as you use them which was what I was thinking was going to happen. How do I connect the front and the back chest piece together so it is easy to put it on and take it off? I am thinking velcro on the inside of the armor...but then I don't know how I can reach in to take off the velcro. Or would I just rip it off or something? Any suggestions would be super helpful. Right now I have to hold it in place. It weights currently 3600kg but that will get heavier when I add the foam padding, paint, and cooling system.

Attachments

• IMG_9399 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_9399 - Copy.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 125
  • IMG_9405 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_9405 - Copy.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 113
Do what i did and just fuse them together, as long as it fits over your head. i had issues having a front and back so i just took the straight forward solution.

Do what i did and just fuse them together, as long as it fits over your head. i had issues having a front and back so i just took the straight forward solution.
I wish that would work. My head is much too big when i tried.

There’s some pretty strong rare earth magnets I’ve seen people use
That is one option i am looking into. I am just wondering how fragile or tough such magnets would be if closing the armor up. But i like that option. Ill loon through the forums to see if i can find how others used magnets

Wow his writeup is amazing. I love the backpack strap idea! I saw his post awhile back but now it makes more sense as i build my own. Thanks for sharing!

I don't have any great pictures handy right now, but I used a clip system for attaching the two halves of my chest piece together.

(I'll see if I can dig up some pictures)

That would be great. I just dont know how to reach inside the armor to unclip if they are inside

That would be great. I just dont know how to reach inside the armor to unclip if they are inside
Amazingly I can take the chest off myself... Though I can't fully put it on solo (can get 3/4 clips solo)

I ordered these: Magnetpro Neodymium Rectangular Magnets 44 lbs Force 40 x 13.5 x 5 mm with Countersunk Hole and Capsule, Strong Household and Industrial Rare Earth Magnet with Mounting Screws Pack of 8 Amazon.com

I am thinking i can put them nicely into the slot at the top and the bottom, and use backpack straps attached to the back part to hold that too my body comfortably. Gonna visit goodwill to scavenge some parts for the backpack bit hopefully.

I ended up using some pretty strong 60lb magnets in the spartan for security. I can certainly assure you its secure :lol:

ive found putting bike helmet clips on the edge of both sides works really well for transport and ease of access, but its not *the most* secure method

We used wide elastic webbing at the shoulder points on our last build and used it as a hinge over the head, plus lets the chest move a bit so its not so restrictive. It was super glue/E6000 epoxy and worked great. The bottom points were nylon webbing and plastic clips

This thread is more than 8 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back