A concern on the member list

Status
Not open for further replies.
The code things are so easy to by-pass now that theve been out for such a long time. Just because you made it unhackable, doesn't mean were not going to hack it.

I would also like to point out that Adam created the site, but he's member #2?

And I used to be member #2100, but now I've gone up four places? What's up with that? I'm not complaining or anything, I just wonder how four people joined after me and still got numbers before me. It's just weird.

anonymous said:
The code things are so easy to by-pass now that theve been out for such a long time. Just because you made it unhackable, doesn't mean were not going to hack it.

RON PAUL anon?

In response to friendly, I used to be member number 1,5xx or something like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
dont do cleanup, cuz wat if i had decided not to start posting again today and my account turned out to be gone, that wouldnt be very nice now would it. Of course if its people being dumb like spam accounts then yes by all means clean it up, but for people who just havent been on in a while, dont delete those

There are two problems with doing this, the first being that it would take days of Adams work to delete unused member accounts. Think of the time required to sift through all the members and find the THOUSANDS of accounts that haven't been used in the last 6 months.. Search, user profile, delete.. times thousands, one at a time.. It would take quite a long while huh?

Second issue as tehronin just pointed out is that sometimes people do come back and expect to log into their old accounts. We've seen it happen plenty of times. We don't want to turn those people away.

The last thing I want to mention is why does it bother you guys so much that there are old accounts still listed? Did you have plans for that server space? At the moment it isn't hurting anybody to leave those accounts where they are, and actually it helps us as a website to be able to say that we have over 6,000 members internationally. Even if they're erroneous accounts, someone created those accounts.. and they count towards our numbers.

Sean Bradley said:
The last thing I want to mention is why does it bother you guys so much that there are old accounts still listed? Did you have plans for that server space? At the moment it isn't hurting anybody to leave those accounts where they are, and actually it helps us as a website to be able to say that we have over 6,000 members internationally. Even if they're erroneous accounts, someone created those accounts.. and they count towards our numbers.
I think easy way to calm down people here - is just to remove Member No: XXXX from every post :)
I think that is what demeans some people in their eyes here :)

Remember though, that that ID (member #) won't change if accounts are deleted. It's the unique identifier in the database that all your posts are logged against so it will never change :p

Remember, people are not their member number. They shouldn't be demeaned by that. The only reason they would be is because they have problems with their own self-esteem. I say leave the member numbers up, just so we can see who joined when. It's just a number, and it shouldn't be a means of insulting someone.

Sean Bradley said:
...if they're erroneous...
bargainbob.gif

EGGS ERRONEOUS! :lol:

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I'll leave now. :whistle:

Keegan said:
LOL

But yes I agree with Robo on the execption that it would take a large amount of time to do such a thing. Although, that it could be worked at, still, its would take a huge chunk out of my day.
If I were given the ability to delete the unused accounts, I would spend at least an hour a day doing it.

The thousands of spambots thing bugs me mostly because I am an orginized person in general. I think of it like saying "I have 6000+ emails :D ", when 5000 of them are spam, and keeping the spam ones just so you can say that. I guess having 6000 members, even with most of them not real, opposed to 1000 could help the site in certain ways, but it just bugs me to no extent.

If we were to go through them, I'm not saying delete everyone that hasn't logged in for several years. I could go into a coma for 3 years, snap out of it, then come on the forums and see that I don't exsist anymore (this is the only scenario that I wouldn't come on the forums for that long :p ). That would be stupid. I'm saying only the ones that have no posts, have logged in once, haven't even edited their profile in any way (thus deleting their account would not effect anything). Anyone who has even posted one time would stay.

I'm not trying to convince anyone to do anything, I'm just stating my opinion. I just like everything to be nice, clean, and orginized.

Im like Robo, Its not the member number that bugs me its just knowing that there is an excess of members that really arnt... That didnt make sense but I hope you all get what I mean...lol

Im an organized person... when i first get to work in the morning I make sure all my pens are lined up at my left side and that my books are lined up. If something is on my desk that doesnt need to be there then i throw it away or put it in a drawer. Its just a really bad/annoying habit. And, again, it makes no sense, but to me that habit applies to the excess of members here...

Razgriz said:
RON PAUL anon?

In response to friendly, I used to be member number 1,5xx or something like that.

Im number 123 and mines never have changed one bit

There might have been a few but nothing major

EDIT: Just figured out that my number is 1 2 3 in order (im a slow one)

Sean Bradley said:
There are two problems with doing this, the first being that it would take days of Adams work to delete unused member accounts. Think of the time required to sift through all the members and find the THOUSANDS of accounts that haven't been used in the last 6 months.. Search, user profile, delete.. times thousands, one at a time.. It would take quite a long while huh?

Second issue as tehronin just pointed out is that sometimes people do come back and expect to log into their old accounts. We've seen it happen plenty of times. We don't want to turn those people away.

I dont think it would hours you would just have to right a java script that only allow active users it wouldnt be all that hard

I dont know if agree with you there like if some one looks at our club and reads that we have 6000 members. Then looks at the least and sees that we only have x number of people. I think he might turn away because were not being true to how many members there really are

(hope i typed that right dyslexia kills my writing)

Robogenisis said:
I'm not trying to convince anyone to do anything, I'm just stating my opinion. I just like everything to be nice, clean, and orginized.
Im with you there. I like every thing clean and crisp with all the extra baggage taken off

My only comment is that i would like all them hidden. So then when you look at the member list it only show active members

Ok, let's take a look at this objectively.

I can see the reasons for keeping them and deleting them. I'm like Robo and Rose. I just don't like clutter. Then again there are some people that sign up to look around(lurkers) and don't post for a long while. These people might be mistakenly deleted in the purge process. No program will be useful enough to do all this, it will have to be done manually to determine an accounts activity. Although, the member search function could be used to weed out 0 post accounts that have no last visit time or have only visited once. Then again, the old accounts aren't really doing anything. They don't spam, they don't advertise, they are just there.

Ultimately, it's up to Adam whether he wants to take the time to get rid of the useless accounts. It's his site. Just ignore that 5000+ number. It's just a number after all.

PS - No one got my Ernest Goes to Camp joke...so much for trying to lighten the mood. :(

yes seans right, you guys probably dont know how much work it is to run a forum, let alone deletes hundreds to a thousand accounts. Heck its a pain just deleting one lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back