A Little Healthy Competition?

What do you think about Halo-ween photo contest?

• I think you may be on to something here...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No thanks, I don't think I'll finish in time.

• Nope, not interested.

• This is by far the worst idea in the history of bad ideas,evar!

• A jar of almonds.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed.

Though the orginal idea was to be focused more around the noobs around here to get their butts in gear if they needed an extra push (which some do). This contest would be to encourage people to start/finish a set of armour to show off at the end of October.

Sticking with the goal of this contest, I think that a photoshop category should be left out this time around. Wouldn't want any noobs to get discouraged too quickly, especialy those who can't use photoshop. Besides, this an armour fabricating site, not a Photoshop site. Perhaps there could be a photoshop contest another time on it's own?

Having said that, this isn't a photography site either. People who have no experience with photography shouldn't be hindered by bad or unexciting shots. But they will. Since it will be the members voting, obviously the coolest, most awesome pictures will win. Here's where I hope this will help: Photohraphy Tips

I know it's about cars, but the fundementals are still the same. Rule of Thirds, proper lighting, it can all be applied to your shots. With this you can easialy go from a mirror cam shot to a dynamic attention grabbing shot.

As for shots with captions on them, or shots setup as motivational posters, they should have their own category.

Most important rule of all! Remember to have fun! You're showing off your armour that you've spent countless hours of labour on. A labour of love. Blood, sweat and, quite possibly, tears, type of stuff.

Cause seriously, if you don't love making this stuff (or Halo for that matter), you're in the wrong place.

-angelvirusx

Can I change my vote to Almonds?

Watch out!!! My little Spartan Sophia is going to own that JR Chief Catagory!!! So consider the gauntlet thrown!

I love this idea it builds community and pushes us all to do better and to create better things!

He's my suggestions, I am not sure who is keeping tally of the prizes but I think this should be done like a Best in Show contest. Each catagory gets has a 1st 2nd 3rd prize and they get a Forum Badge for thier signature, or some sort of Electronic Swag and braggin rights. The catagory Grand Prize winner should recieve a physical prize(s). The all of the catagory winners should then be judged to determine an over all Halo-ween Best in Show Winner!

Also I don't like the photoshop catagory, I will probably photoshop Sophia, it's what I do for a living, into some game shots but I think the physical work should be judged by itself. This is site is about craftmenship.

I also think this should only be for Halo Costumes, I know this place has alot of other suits being built but the entries should only be Halo exclusive. (Grunts, Cortana, Master Chief etc...)

And my final thoughts are... Why almonds?

Count me in!!!

@ chwbcc: I wonder if there be any other Jr Spartans showing off? Or would the category go unanimously to your daughter?

The jar of almonds is a reference to an old "Who's line is it anyways?" episode, the one that Drew Carry hosted. One skit had them doing an improv of "Who wants to be a millionaire?" and the guy pretending to be Regis always had option D as a jar of almonds. Random halarity.

Ooooh yay! Interest...!

---

PHOTOSHOPPING

I'd also be inclined to say leave 'Photoshopping' out. Reason being it creates a niche where it's not as much about the costume but the level of editing skills.

I think the only exception would be if there was 'red-eye' or a very dark picture that needed to be lightened to view. I'm a photoshop person so I know it's tempting to want to make this an art project (signatures/avatars would be the place for that), but I'd prefer to see entries that were straightforward and true to life.

CATEGORY FOR CARDBOARD, PEP, MOLDED

To keep it simple, I still like just the Best in Costume. There are lots of merit that could win any manner of costume a prize. It could be the craftsmanship, the ingenuity, the color choices, and the personal details. I think no matter the medium, people can bring their A-game and have a chance. I've seen amazing cardboard that for the very fact of what they had to use, my jaw dropped :) Also seen some molds that someone obviously babied and labored over that deserve respect.

GROUP CATEGORY

Most ppl live in a 'spartan dry' area where you won't have others to troop with, I know this feeling (there's a handful!). I posted originally that a group shot could be 1 Halo Costume + at least 2 other people in any costume (Master Chief could be fighting a Ninja and Mario, for example). That's a 3 person minimum which I would hope isn't too hard for people to achieve? I don't want to set a maximum because that would limit the creativity and ingenuity.

I would leave the prize divvying to the winners respectively, but we could offer types of prizes that would be easier for the winners to split (like 3-5 lanyards, grenades, buttons, etc). That way they go in knowing there is a limit to what they receive and to come to an agreement on who receives what. We can decide more about this later when we have the full list of donated prizes too :)

JR. SPARTANS

I'm hoping there will be a few parents who help their kids make a Halo Costume. I would like to leave the opportunity open at least so folks feel invited or driven to try. If there are no entries then I can close the poll for that one and distribute the prize to another category or something. This could apply to any category where participation didn't occur (which I doubt will happen hehe).

---

Anywho...that's just some more thinking on my part. Please continue :)

noe photoshopping ??>.<

(sarcam)

masterchief.gif

How about a Halloween category? Like pictures of a MC trick or treating. Or a marine punting a pumpkin (could get messy). Or a Halloween paint scheme Spartan? Or some ODSTs pigging out on candy?

I like this idea! Just wondering though... I know that you can only enter one photo, but can we enter in one photo for each category (one for best group, one for funniest photo, etc)?

It'd be nice, but I think you should be limited to winning only one of the categories. Don't want just one person running off with all the goodies!

New question: will there be a cap on how many entrants there will be per category?

Now the big question is: when will there be an official announcement and rules/regulations thread? Not like it really matters to putting up category threads so early, but I think the rest of the members that didn't have a chance to see all this should be made aware. The more the merrier!

Great idea guys, ill get in on this for sure. And it seems like theres enough people interested in it. Now i have 2 big reason's to finish by Halo-ween. Oni-con and this.

I'd hate to win by default so I would decline any forfeited victory to be put into another category, so my little Sophia could whoop some of your Old Guys' tail!!! (me <- old guy too :LOL)

And if I could only enter one category I may have to wait until after Halloween because I may want to enter in the funniest category.

I think the age category is cool but really I don't fit in the JR. category I'm 35 but I am building my MC for a 3 year old.

I'm really just working at a at different scale... a 39" master chief has extremely small tabs to glue and detail... Degree of difficulty... Pain in my ALMONDS!!!!

My daughter isn't really building it, I am, so I shouldn't be in the category with 12 year olds who maybe just learning to costume-smith.

I wish there was a way to enter several different categories. I would like to try to do some fun photos with her but I also was to be judge on the quality of my work. I am no where near at the level of some of you guys and girls but I want to know where a I stand as far as talent and creativity, accuracy and other measurable areas.

Maybe each category should be based on level of expertise. Beginner, Intermediate and Expert, I have been here a little over a month and I am still learning so I am a beginner and my work shows that but Noobs like me shouldn't be discouraged my competing against experts.

And BTW love Who's line is it!!! I used to work with Wayne Brady at Disney... for like 3 months before he went off to be famous... O.k. not immediately famous but when he transfered out of entertainment and started on that path... He is the same guy he was then.

I think that this should have a set point in time. Meaning: The actual voting ends one week after Haloween, but it opens one week before. That should give everyone enough time to get some awesome pictures. So the jar of almonds is just something that bears no overall importance to the voting? ;) I think that the Mods should make a post in the ezine, and there should be an official thread about this.

just a couple of thoughts on the matter

Cheers!

Well the big con for the year, where I'm planning on debuting my WETA ODST, is just a week before 'halo-ween' so count me in :D

I like the idea of having a category for best photo, not just based on the armour, but on the visual aesthetics of the photo. and a funny photo would be a good idea too.

If this contest will happen are all the members allowed to join? The members that are from far places. How will they receive the prices like the hand plates?

Caboos318 said:
So, halo-ween is just around the corner, is this still happening?

also interested, and where are we going to send/ post the pics for this??

Also if you are going to close entries at 12am server time on nov.1st how are we suppose to upload the photos from "Halo"-ween night??

Last edited by a moderator:
Although I wont be entering, its a good idea :)

I was really tempted to vote a jar of almonds... do you even get almonds in jars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back