All Metal Props

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandon McClain

Hey y'all! So I am totally new to the 405th, but have been reading it over and working on my MKvi for about 3 weeks now and have decided to try and put some of the skills I have learned as and engineering student to good use. I have free access to a full shop on campus with a CNC machine, 5 axis mill, and many other tools, and I only have to pay for materials. I want to do either the shotgun or ODST SMG with movie quality detail in all metal. First, I was wondering which one more people would be interested in having. Second, I was hoping for some hi res refence photos from multiple angles so I can build my 3D models. The reason I am looking to do a hi res model, is so that I don't have to mold. I can cut as many parts as often as I want in the lab and it only cost materials. I thought it would be nice addition to the 405th armory. Let me know what you think. I'm always open to requests.

There should be some great HD models around here already, you will just need the makers permission to use them. as for which one to build, people around here prefer it if you choose it bieng your project etc...

Good luck, I can't wait ti see what you come up with.

I plan on doing both, just wondered if there was more of a desire for one or the other. I am going to PM Spartan II about blueprints, which should be a good start. As far as other HD models, I use Catia and NX 4.0, whose model files are usually non-compatible with other software so I have to start from scratch.

Just based off of looking at which projects people make here...the H1 / H3 assault rifle, SMG (now silenced ODST SMG), and Sword seem to be the most popular. personally I think the SMG's and shotgun look too much like real guns for me to carry around when I'm in costume, but the Assault Rifle is very Halo.

You sir, have an enviable amount of tools at your disposal. I really hope you can make some fantastically cool stuff with it. Personally, my vote is for the SMG, I've been a big fan of that gun. As for model reference, I'd say check out This and This link, I'm not posting them in the thread because they are HUGE. You wanted high res, you've got high res. :pAs for top and bottom, that may be a little easier to figure out, I have a schematic I snagged from somewhere Here. It's the basic version, but it's the same gun aside from the supressor and the sight on top. Best of luck to you, and come back with progress pictures! :D

I agree with the two above, the SMG is something I'd definitely be interested in seeing. I'm excited to see a project from a metal-worker, definitely keeping tabs on this thread ;)

If those are my only choices I would totally buy an SMG off you if you make one of the ODST Versions. If you are taking suggestions the BR is an awesomely glorious gun. I would totally buy and SMG from you though if it is gonna be metal

Thanks for the input. I will get started asap. The plan is eventually to do the whole armory. I know that for me, no paint job looks quite like the real thing, so I wanted to give it a shot. If I can do it for cheap its better for eveyone. I will keep y'all up to date on how it is coming.

Hey Flyerfye, those files were great, they will help immensely. Between the two reference pictures and the layout, it should go pretty quickly, I just need a scale to work from. Any idea as to length or other dimensions? I have done a preliminary layout sketch, and am working on how to model and assemble the parts with a collapsing stock & front handle, working laser sight etc.

I'm not 100% sure on the scale, I'd say try getting in touch with LeeKeegan, he made a VERY nice SMG, might be able to help you out with some things.

Brandon McClain said:
Hey Flyerfye, those files were great, they will help immensely. Between the two reference pictures and the layout, it should go pretty quickly, I just need a scale to work from. Any idea as to length or other dimensions? I have done a preliminary layout sketch, and am working on how to model and assemble the parts with a collapsing stock & front handle, working laser sight etc.

Total length of the silenced SMG, with extended stock: 35.25 inches / 89.5 cm

Length of just the silencer: 12.75 inches / 32.4 cm

Good luck with your project, sounds like fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brandon McClain said:
I plan on doing both, just wondered if there was more of a desire for one or the other. I am going to PM Spartan II about blueprints, which should be a good start. As far as other HD models, I use Catia and NX 4.0, whose model files are usually non-compatible with other software so I have to start from scratch.

Well, thanks for the compliment :oops:

I do have a large amount of spare time on my hands at the moment (in the middle of finding a new job), and right now am kinda busy working on drafting some schematics for Psycurve's HAZE weapons project, but send me a PM and I'll see what I can do.

Keep in mind the schematics I draw are pen-on-paper, not digitized (ie. AutoCAD). So, that may not work if you're looking to input them into a CNC machine. Just FYI, there are also other SMG schematics available from other members. If I'm not mistaken, the member "wizardofflight" drew up both the SMG and Shotgun. That could help, too.

As for which one to do first, the SMG has been by far the more popular of the two lately. Haven't seen many attempt building the Shotgun, so you might want to try that one. But, like Lord Devious said, the decision's really up to you, as it's your project first and foremost.

Either way, with the materials and resources at your disposal, I don't doubt these will turn out great. Looking forward to it, dude :cool

Thanks Spartan II for the update, i will get that PM off to you. I don't input the drawings into the CNC. I use them to build all the parts and assemble them first using the software, then just carry my file down the hall to the lab, load the file and it cranks it out. after that its only checking sizing, and running the tap and die. As far as the weight is concerned, i can do a multipeice design that has been hollowed out, I will probably go with an 1/8 in thickness on the model. I am shooting for sub 5 pounds. In a compact gun like the SMG it shouldn't be a problem. The shotgun should be the heavier of the two. Thanks to Flyerfye's hi res pics, I am going to give the SMG a shot first.I was up till 4 this morning doing layouts and sketches. For the most part, the design plan is coming together, I should be able to make the barrels interchangeable so you can go with either the Halo 3 or ODST SMG. I will use a RAP4 barrel for both. The silencer will be a slip on with a set screw, the same set-up I use on my current paintball gun. It will slide over a 6" barrel. For the Halo3 setup, you would simply twist off the 6" barrel and swap it for RAP4's 3" SMG barrel. So next step is to get into the computer lab and knock out some part models, hopefully I can get to that sometime this week. Thanks for the help so far y'all!

This keeps sounding better and better, glad to see you're making really good progress. If you happen to make these available, I'll be first in line.

Wow, I sure wish I was in your shoes. I would have to pay for machine time if I did anything like that at the shop I work at. So what material are you going to make it out of? Aluminum I assume. Also, if you are going to crank them out as finished pieces, why not just make a steel pattern and then use that to make your parts? If Im not mistaken you can pour aluminum into a steel pattern and the pattern will still last a good amount of time. It may cut down on time and cost of material in the long run if you were to make more than one. (not sure how long it would be though, an engineer or someone who works in a foundry would know the answer to that...I can always find out more about it if you want me to though). When you get to it, id be interested to know how long of a run time the part took on the machine. For the longest time now I have been wanting to cnc some parts but have not had the money for materials or machine time. And I had some good ideas for some molds with cores setup. You have my envy. I hope to see good things coming from this thread.

As far as making these available, thats the plan. I hope to be able to do them cheap. I get the metal stock at cost, the Rap4 barrels are only $15, and i found a laser last night for under $10. Molded weapons are great, but I think for all y'alls dedication to realism, the 405th deserves that little extra in reality. If the plans go like I hope, they should be super easy to fabricate, and I should be able to crank them out pretty easily. Glad y'all are as excited as I am.

I keep thinking of things for this! For your optics, I'd say look into retrofitting some Airsoft gear. The ODST SMG has a reflex sight on the top I believe (if not, it sure would be cool), and you can get those for not a whole lot either. It lights up and looks real cool! :pHere's one I dug up real quick, might be able to be modified for use on these things.

Brandon McClain said:
As far as making these available, thats the plan. I hope to be able to do them cheap. I get the metal stock at cost, the Rap4 barrels are only $15, and i found a laser last night for under $10. Molded weapons are great, but I think for all y'alls dedication to realism, the 405th deserves that little extra in reality. If the plans go like I hope, they should be super easy to fabricate, and I should be able to crank them out pretty easily. Glad y'all are as excited as I am.

Are you planning on making moving functional parts?

If you are making just one weapon now then milling the pieces would be fine, but I think it would be kind of inefficient to make several and mill each one. (<--- thats just my opinion, please dont take offence). But, then again that all depends on how much time it takes on each parts run. If you do get alot of people requesting one when you are done I would still look into making a pattern for it. And you would still get the same realism in the end as long as your casting were made of metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back