Another Chief to join the ranks (First Mjolnir WIP) [image heavy]

Status
Not open for further replies.

JujubeeSeas

Hey all!

I've been lurking for some time, and decided to jump on into the party! A week or so ago I started my first pep, and where else to start but with mjolnir?

I got through the scaling alright (actually the toughest part for me, I suffer a bit with numbers) and managed to do alright with assembly.

IMG_0405.jpg

Then came the resin/fiberglassing, which was a learning experience and actually a lot of fun! This is just hit with some primer to help me see where I needed to start getting into sanding with the dremel (which is now my best friend. Seriously, we've got matching necklaces and everything. BFFFF.)

IMG_0471.jpg

Now I'm on the... 3rd? ...27th? 89th sanding? I've been doing it in sections to try and keep from getting TOO obsessed with perfecting the whole thing all at once.

IMG_0490.jpg

IMG_0492.jpg

IMG_0493.jpg

IMG_0528.jpg

I did have a pretty frustrating problem with getting the front symmetrical, but some bondo seems to have taken care of most of that...
Not so super :
IMG_0495.jpg

A tad better methinks!
IMG_0510.jpg

Hopefully with what it'll be when it grows up hiding in the back...
IMG_0516.jpg

So far things are doing not terribly, I'm having a ball with it! Any advice you guys have got would be much appreciated! Anything I should know before I paint? (in 40 or so more sandings I might be ready for that!)

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• IMG_0405.jpg
    IMG_0405.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_0471.jpg
    IMG_0471.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_0490.jpg
    IMG_0490.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0492.jpg
    IMG_0492.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_0493.jpg
    IMG_0493.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_0528.jpg
    IMG_0528.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_0495.jpg
    IMG_0495.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_0510.jpg
    IMG_0510.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_0516.jpg
    IMG_0516.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 154
Thanks for the feedback!

And Jackal, that's actually the legendary helmet in the back, I didn't make it (I wish!). I'm using it as a guide for details. I hear that there are ways to modify it so you can actually wear it, but I'd rather not risk messing it up if I fail horribly hahaha

Optical illusion or is the top of the helmet curved to the right a bit instead of being straight? I had that problem in one of the first helmets I attempted as well.

Optical illusion or is the top of the helmet curved to the right a bit instead of being straight? I had that problem in one of the first helmets I attempted as well.

it looks like the angle is not straight because thers is more visible to the right than left

I was planning on getting something like ribbed pvc pipe (I wonder if that actually has a name...), which I'm going to get when I need to finish the boots, as something similar fills in the mid-section from toe to ankle piece. Failing that I figure I can just sculpt it out of clay and glue it in. I also have to make the small square-things at either side of the visor, but that can wait until I actually get the thing.

And yeah, that's due to the crappy photo. At least I hope it is...
My real problem was getting the area where bottom of the visor will go even. I must have messed up a fold when pep'ing, because it's taken some time to fix.

I think the legendary helmet is just too shiny, it could have been a darker, realistic green color. Also, it could have been bigger, but then there wouldn't be as many.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back