Armour Making

Status
Not open for further replies.

shade

HI Everybody. Lets discuss what gear everybody uses to build their armour. Who knows, you might get an idea to try something new eh? xD

Cardboard is one of the most abundant thing,so cardboard is my first.Then paper mache for strengh.Sometimes I use wood.I also use metal.(not very good. :( )

Only problem is that if paper mache gets wet.Tough luck!

I also use DUCT TAPE.

Handy topic, as i've just found "fiber glass" tape on ebay. Its around £6 a roll, and i'm just debating about whether to try it out :\

In case this topic get's really large, i'd suggest making some kind of list in the first post so people dont have to read through the entire thing (and you know there's going to be a lot of people saying the same items)

Anyhow...

I use 65 lb Astroparche Premium Cardstock bought at Wal-Mart for smaller pieces, and 110 lb cardstock for larger things (like chest plates).

I use a Dremel MiniMite 4.8V Model 750 for minor sanding an cutting and drilling and so on

Bondo's Fiberglass Cloth... for obvious reasons....

Bondo's Fiberglass Resin and it's already packaged Hardener

I also use Bondo's Glazing & Spot Putty

And I have used (but never again.... GRRR!!!) Great Stuff Expanding foam. It's only good for small projects and areas. but to fill something large, it's terrible!

110 lb. Cardstock printer paper(good for strength as it doesnt warp to easily, but annoying to cut out unless you have a few exacto blades handy)

Multi temp hot glue(about 40 sticks a bag)((works well if your fast and know RIGHT where to move the piece to have it anchored in an instant))

Dremel Tool kit(single speed but ive got about 200 attachments for anything)

3M Bondo liquid Fiberglass Resin(im out of liquid hardner and money its only 2-3 dollars too T___T)

3m Bondo fiberglass/resin mix(DO NOT USE RIGHT AWAY ON PAPER!!! >__<, it is a PUTTY and hardens QUICKLY, not even my cardstock could hold up to it >_<, use liquid resin FIRST)

3M Bondo Fiberglass Cloth, 100 Feet cloth.

With any luck, I'll be moulding mine out of fibreglass, with aluminium plates for triple composite reinforcement.

Strankyman said:
Handy topic, as i've just found "fiber glass" tape on ebay. Its around £6 a roll, and i'm just debating about whether to try it out :\

DONT BUY IT. It's that yellow meshy stuff right? It won't work. The only thing that will work is fiberglass mat or cloth. It's like 4 bucks for a huge mat.

Last edited by a moderator:
mc hammer time said:
DONT BUY IT. It's that yellow meshy stuff right? It won't work. The only thing that will work is fiberglass mat or cloth. It's like 4 bucks for a huge mat.

It'll work, but you have to layer it to hell... it's not as strong as cloth, which isn't as strong as mat. It's ok for strengthening after using mat, covering the joins in the mat to add strength, applying it while the resin's still wet. It shouldn't be used to replace mat though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its a good idea to use fiberglass for strength, but you gotta make sure your paper can withstand all that resin. A heavy cardstock will do the trick (200g per meter aka 200g/m). I havent been working on my armour lately beacause im low on funds, and needing to get a job, but as soon as i get my coffers up fiberglassing resin, fiberglass mat and bondo are on my top buy list. Also a dremel tool and some new sandpaper xD. If anyone has any suggestions for me to change my buying list go ahead, as we are all here to help eachother out xD. Cheers! In regards to what your talking about with the fiberglass tape, everyone feedback seems to be bad, except to use it as either strengthener for the actual coat, or to fill crevices xD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back