Props Beam Rifle Wip *new Pictures Page 2*

Status
Not open for further replies.
darkesword2020 said:
Hey Jason,
Would you mind helping me find/locate one of the lasers for myself, I think I could use it for something.

- Fitz

well, the one i got came from www.wickedlasers.com. they're really the only people i've dealt with in terms of buying high powered lasers. If you're interested though, i've got a spare blue one i dont really use. PM me for details if you're interested.

EDIT

I was browsing through some of the excellent reference shots provided by Xavier and i'm glad I did. As it turns out, theres a purplish/pink light running along the barrel's sides as well as a small portal in the back of the drum mag where this light is visible.

gallery_2379_7_39191.jpg

gallery_2379_7_183466.jpg

now that i've seen this, i'm already planning far ahead in the construction process to account for these finds.

I'm figuring now instead of wiring the laser pointer to the trigger and letting the beam run down the length of the gun that something else should be done.

one would involve putting a clear plastic screen over the barrel lines and switching the laser on and using that to light the interior, then rigging a small cover to the muzzle so when the triggers depressed, the cover opens and lets the beam shine out.

Now that i'm thinking about it, a better idea would be to follow in smik's steps with his LED kit for the spiker and ream out the channels where the lights at and install LED's and cover it with tinted semi-transparent plastic. then just use the laser as originally planned.

if anyone else has any creative ideas on illuminating these parts, i'm open to suggestion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jason 'Biff' H said:
well, the one i got came from www.wickedlasers.com. they're really the only people i've dealt with in terms of buying high powered lasers. If you're interested though, i've got a spare blue one i dont really use. PM me for details if you're interested.

Can you give me more details please?

- Fitz

Holy smack... that thing is going to be absolutely huge.

As for the new lighting... couldn't you just use some internal mirrors to refract some of the light? Or perhaps just use some LEDs and some diffusers?

Crucible said:
Holy smack... that thing is going to be absolutely huge.

As for the new lighting... couldn't you just use some internal mirrors to refract some of the light? Or perhaps just use some LEDs and some diffusers?

I thought of mirrors, but i think thats getting a little too complex. you'd have to ensure they're at the perfect angle mounted on an imperfect surface and custom cutting it. and what exactly is a diffuser? do you mean like domethign that will break the beam into a less concentrated light?

CPU64 said:
The will lights on the rifle stay on and not just when shooting.. Right?

i'd have to check the in-game animations, but i'd suspect so. I'll probably go with the simplest solution of using smicks method. All i'd have to do there is run some wires, make a trench to stick the LED in and fill the trench with a clear liquid plastic.

If you do use leds. you will probably need to sand the lights with some sand paper to defuse the lights some, otherwise you will see each led in there. You might be able to buy them that way but sand paper is easy to. You will need to come up with a way to make them all blend together and not look like separate leds, if you know what I am saying. Put a string of leds together and then put something transparent in front of it and you will see what I mean. You might want to look into something like the pic below also. Check out the purple ones. http://www.vibelights.com/pococabili.html
They also have el wire that runs on batteries but I didnt look that far into it. I wil try to come up with some more ideas to help with the lighting for you. I will check out the ref pics some more.
[attachment=7463:bike_lights.gif]
[attachment=7464:neon.gif]

Hey thanks smick. I get what you mean about the LEDs, even if the LEDs aren't completely visible through the screen, the spot where the lights emitting form is going to be brighter than the rest of the area.

the only thign i might run into with these is length. until the model is sitting right in front of me, i wont' know the length of this channel and what size cold cathode or EL strip i'd need. even then if its an off number, would it be possible to trim the EL strips or something to fit?

Jason 'Biff' H said:
Hey thanks smick. I get what you mean about the LEDs, even if the LEDs aren't completely visible through the screen, the spot where the lights emitting form is going to be brighter than the rest of the area.

the only thign i might run into with these is length. until the model is sitting right in front of me, i wont' know the length of this channel and what size cold cathode or EL strip i'd need. even then if its an off number, would it be possible to trim the EL strips or something to fit?

I think el wire can be cut to size but you should look into it. I also just notied the 5 jewel like parts on the hub that are lighted also. Do you have a casting plan yet? For that many lights you may have to do it in 2 halves to access wiring. I think the little jewels could be done by casting little clear pieces and adding some leds behind them. I was thinking about the long part being lit by one wire running over that handle part and through the center and a piece of clear plastic piece on both sides (could always be tinted or painted to desired effect). They sell clear plastic tubes for display / shipping purposes that might be usable. Some ideas to think about.

i haven't given much thought about casting right now. so far i've just been trying to knock out the electrical aspect and get the pep done then seek adam's advice and help making a cast.

I found out though the EL lights can in fact be cut and trimemd to size, so that sounds liek the most viable option as of now.

Jason 'Biff' H said:
i haven't given much thought about casting right now. so far i've just been trying to knock out the electrical aspect and get the pep done then seek adam's advice and help making a cast.

I found out though the EL lights can in fact be cut and trimemd to size, so that sounds liek the most viable option as of now.

The reason I ask about the casting is for adding the electric. When casting the final piece you need to have the electrical install figured in it. You could always cut and grind to put stuff in but if you come up with a way to make it easier before you do a finished mold, you can build it into the product. Like recessed areas or cutouts already in the cast pieces. Thats the reason the spiker is in two pieces. Anything to make it easier in the long run ya know.

thats a good point. Now that you have me thinking on it, i'm almost positive the mold will have to be done in 2+ parts. I'm pretty sure it'd be a giant waste of silicone and materials if i was to cast the whole thing seeing as you have that giant empty space in the drum magazine.

i'm really over thinking the stuff too much. At this point I should be focusing on just completing the pep model by the deadline i gave myself, and focus on the other details later on in the process.

I've got some small updates since the last set of pictures. So far, the drum mag is no entirely complete and I'm in the middle of doing the end behind the drum and just finished up 3 of 4 sides of the pistol grip.

You can really tell how big this is going to be when its done. The height of the pistol grip next to the ruler in the following picture is at 8.5 inches.

Also I'll be adding new pictures to the gallery hosted by the 405th, so if you want to see more pictures as I'm going along you can check them there.

gallery_6752_861_56939.jpg

gallery_6752_861_337006.jpg

gallery_6752_861_189382.jpg

gallery_6752_861_238796.jpg

iizahsum said:
I see the same deoderant i use XD

It is looking great, keep up the good work and you will have a beutiful Beamer

heh thanks man. got another small update. (someone stop me if adding pics of new sections built is getting annoying)

Well this morning I've finally realized what a beast this sucker is becoming at 1:1. I've got the whole pistol grip done and mounted in between the start of the top and bottom rear extensions.

med_gallery_6752_861_118091.jpg

med_gallery_6752_861_171064.jpg

eep.... ;)

Jason 'Biff' H said:
heh thanks man. got another small update. (someone stop me if adding pics of new sections built is getting annoying)

Well this morning I've finally realized what a beast this sucker is becoming at 1:1. I've got the whole pistol grip done and mounted in between the start of the top and bottom rear extensions.

*pics*

eep.... ;)

Holy wow! That sucker is going to be huge!

Ohh, man, that's going to take a while.

At least it will be in scale though, I mean, It is supposed to be a Sniper Rifle, so largeness is expected.

its actually going pretty fast. i've been working on this for maybe like 2 days out o the weeks time since I started it and i've already knocked off 30 of the 130 parts in the thing. theres going to be about 25 more small parts that require some finesse and then the rest is parts that take up more than half the page, most of them are actually taking up the full page.

it should go quickly oncei get past the small parts. I'm already prepping for the second phase and got some resin and bondo. Unfortunately, i didn't notice the resin can i bought was messed up. I pulled it out at home and went to pop the top off of it and had a good amount drip all over me, along with the hardener tube, which apparently got eaten through by the resin..

oh well...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back