Props Blueprints Halo 3 Spnkr Rocket Launcher

Status
Not open for further replies.
SPARTAN II said:
... I'm primarily drafting these schematics to aid Lee in his on-going builds. As such, I know he would benefit more from a 1:1 scale than a scaled-down version, as that saves him having to scale it up himself and allows him to be able to start work on the physical model right away.

Now I see what's going on here! Well, it's just all about Lee isn't it? ISN'T IT!?! :p :lol: :p

SPARTAN II said:
I could always do up single-page schematics and scan in them as PDF's for others (like yourself) to use in the manner you suggest, but it should be understood that those would have to come after I've finished with the full-size ones I'm doing at the moment.

No it's fine Sparten II, I was just throwing ideas out there, do it however works best for what you want to achieve. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
juliet76 said:
[...]

Now I see what's going on here! Well, it's just all about Lee isn't it? ISN'T IT!?! :p :lol: :p

[...]

No it's fine Sparten II, I was just throwing ideas out there, do it however works best for what you want to achieve. ;)

BOLD # 1: Well, actually... yeah, lol. Since I helped him get started on his SR project, I figured I'd help him with the next one (didn't think he'd mind, lol). Buuut, this does have the added benefit of providing others with a good reference to start on their own builds, once I've got them done. So, it's a win-win scenario :D

BOLD # 2: This works best for me as I've only ever drafted 1:1 scale schematics for any of my own scratch-built props. I've never done scaled-down schematics and then worked for that. Old habits die hard, I guess :p lol

EDIT: Update-wise, I'm now working on draft # 3 of the SPNKr side profile. Wasn't happy with some of the layout and proportions of my further revision to the inital design (too short). So, I'm revising it again, lol. Sometimes I think I'm too attentive to detail and accuracy for my own good.

SPARTAN II said:
EDIT: Update-wise, I'm now working on draft # 3 of the SPNKr side profile. Wasn't happy with some of the layout and proportions of my further revision to the inital design (too short). So, I'm revising it again, lol. Sometimes I think I'm too attentive to detail and accuracy for my own good.
No, that is what makes your prints so good. Without your attention to detail I wouldn't be able to build my props. Thanks Buddy! (y)

Believe me, the pleasure is all mine, Lee. Thanks for the kind words. And thank you for allowing me the privilege to take part in your projects, buddy ;)

I brought the schematics to work with me today (along with what reference material I have), so on my lunch break I can get some more work done on it. I'm not too much into this, do you think?:lol:

EDIT: Just FYI, with the revised draft I'm now working on, the SPNKr measures 49 3/4" long (which translates to about 125cm; just 10cm shorter than the length indicated on the size comparison chart I found) by 15 1/2" tall. Definately the largest prop schematic I've ever done, lol. I'll post a pic when I get home to show the difference in size between drafts # 2 & # 3. It's certainly a noticeable change.

EDIT # 2: Here be the pics! The current draft has been upsized from eight to ten pages:

SPNKr Schematic -- Draft # 03

SPNKr Schematic -- Draft Comparison

I added some length to the rear section of the launch tubes, a little to the forward section, as well as the middle launch assembly. I also added an extra inch to the height of the launch assembly housing. NOW everything looks more accurately proportionate to the in-game model.

I'm now onto draft number four for the side profile, lol. Had to tweak a few of the details on the launch assembly housing so that it'll look more like the in-game render. I'm hoping this is the final draft for this one, then I can get to work on the other views :rolleyes

Hey SPARTAN II, Try to make the launch tubes the size of some PVC pipes, because that is probably what I will use.

Looking great!

Don't worry Lee, I already had that in mind for when I started on these, lol. The launch tubes currently measure in at three inches in diameter, and are proportionate to the rest of the SPNKr.

I haven't had a chance to go out to Home Depot or any place like that here to see if they actually have that diameter of PVC piping available, so I don't know if I may have to revise that part of the design.

Gawd, I hope not... I've been revising enough of it already, and so would like to be able to progress to the next part of it, lol.

EDIT: I just quickly Google'd "Home Hardware" (one of the building supply stores up here) to look for three-inch-diameter PVC piping, and found it available in ten-foot sections. If I can find it up here, you should be able to find the same diameter down where you are, at whatever similar store(s) are in your area.

EDIT # 2: FYI, one ten-foot length of piping should be enough to do both launch tubes (the revised measurements of the SPNKr put the tubes at 3' 11 1/8" long, so you'd use just under 8' for both).

Looking good SPARTEN II. :lol:

Blueprints like yours eliminate so much of the time consuming planning that makes weapon builds draw out. Thank you for doing these, as I'm sure that with time Lee won't be the only one to get use out of them. :D

Lee, I hope you noticed the "TEST" button on the side, it'd be very cool if your build did that tube rotation thing. Just putting it out there. Just putting it out there. :p

Thanks, dude :)

You're so right about the time involved in drafting the plans used for one's prop builds. To attain the desired level of detail and accuracy we sometimes want in our builds it's a necessary part of it, though.

From personal experience, having gone through this process for a number of scratch-built Star Trek props I've done in the past, I figure that designing the schematics alone account for approximately one-quarter of the total time invested in building something like this.

Obviously, Lee's most recent project -- the HALO 3 SR -- is a perfect example of that. Because I drew up the blueprints for him, as soon as he got his copy of them he was able to start work on the physical model almost immediately, and we've all seen how quickly that's come together, heh.

And you're more than welcome for doing these. As I don't really have anything to show for my efforts here prop-wise (MC armour or otherwise), I just want to do what I can to help contribute to the community and assist some of the other members with their projects. I feel like I'm doing more than sitting on the sidelines that way.

That, and this gives me a great opportunity to collaborate with some really talented people, lol. Each of us brings our strengths to the project, and from what I've seen so far, those differing skills work well together.

Anyway, here is what I've done so far on draft # 04 of the side profile schematic, along with another comparison between drafts # 03 and # 04:

SPNKr Schematic -- Draft 04

SPNKr Schematic -- Draft Comparison

In case anyone is curious to know, I actually incorporated different details/design aspects from both the in-game model and bevbor's eDrawing file. If anyone can figure out just what details are from which, you get a cookie :D lol

From how this fourth draft of the left-side profile is starting to look, I think it's safe to say this will be the final draft for this view/angle (phew!). I'm very nearly done this, too; just a few minor details remaining, and then it's on to the other side profile.

juliet76 said:
[...]

Lee, I hope you noticed the "TEST" button on the side, it'd be very cool if your build did that tube rotation thing. Just putting it out there. Just putting it out there. :p

I don't know how feasible that would be for him to do (that would likely involve a good deal of electronics/mechanical components to make it work), but at the very least I'm sure he will make the launch assembly housing open up, so it'll have some sort of functionality to it :cool:

SPARTAN II said:
I don't know how feasible that would be for him to do (that would likely involve a good deal of electronics/mechanical components to make it work), but at the very least I'm sure he will make the launch assembly housing open up, so it'll have some sort of functionality to it :cool:

Great Drawings, and I had thought a little about how I could make it rotate!

We will see.

Sweet! It'd be awesome if you could incorporate that feature into your build. That would be beyond way-kewl, buddy *fantasizes* :notworthy: lol

EDIT: It's done! It's done! I just put the finishing touches on the first side profile view. Here it is --> SPNKr Schematic (Draft # 04). Now it's on to the next one, lol. The other side profile should be infinitely easier as the only thing I really need to alter is the details on the other side of the launch assembly housing.

LeeKegan said:
Great Drawings, and I had thought a little about how I could make it rotate!

We will see.

Of course you have. I think it's impossible not to think about it when you consider this build it's one of the first things you think about.

"Hmm, the rocket launcher would be a cool build. Now how do I make the tubes rotate...?".

That's how the thought process goes, at least for me. :D

Sparten II: Excellent side profile man, makes me want to build one now! Shame I haven't done half the stuff I was supposed to this long weekend. Damn it! Gotta go. ;)

*Runs off to the workshop*

*and to mow the yard* :cautious:

juliet76 said:
*Runs off to the workshop*

*and to mow the yard* :cautious:

First, the side view looks tremendous SPARTAN II.

Second, Its a little dark here right now to be mowing, but I guess its a little different down under! :unsure:

Well thank-you, fellas :D

Now that I'm done with the first side profile, I think the harder part of this has passed (with this one, had to figure out the size and proportions of everything to base the other schematics on), lol.

As things stand, I've already begun work on the other side profile, so I hope to have that one done soon. I figure I'll work from hardest to easiest: side profiles, dorsal/ventral views, then front/rear. The last two there will be, by far, the least complicated I have to draft.

I'll post more pics once I've finished the second side profile :cool:

@ juliet76: Once I'm done these, feel free to use my schematics for your own SPNKr build if you like. It's nice to know that, even with just what I'm drawing, I'm helping to inspire/motivate others to do their own projects.

Like I did last week, I again brought the schematics with me to work today, so on my lunch break I can get more done on them (since I live in a matchbox-sized apartment at the moment, I don't have enough room to put a proper table in there, so doing this at work on my own time is a little easier). Believe it or not, I'm already almost done the other side profile, lol.

Looks like I was right in assuming the rest of this set would go more quickly now that the first one's out of the way

EDIT: As I expected, over the lunch break I was pretty much able to finish up with the other side profile. Just have to add the lettering that goes on that side of the launch assembly housing, and it'll be done. YAY!

EDIT # 2: Still working on the lettering. Though on the in-game model it looks all worn --> SPNKr Side Detail (from the ref pics package on the HALO wiki), I've been editing it a bit to look new so everything is clearly legible.

EDIT # 3: Spent the tail-end of my evening last night drafting a template for the lettering, and at lunch am going to apply that lettering to the schematic. I think it'll look good with the "fresh from the factory" stenciling on the launch assembly housing.

EDIT # 4: Lettering has now been applied. I must say, it does look good, lol. I'll post some pics when I get home.

Since I felt this thread needed to bumped back up (I figure it should be okay to, as I haven't made the last three posts all on the same day), I'm making a new post here to show a few pics of the other side profile with the lettering stencil. Like I'd said in one of my edits in my last post, I decided to clean it up a bit to make everything legible:

SPNKr Schematic -- Lettering Stencil Template

SPNKr Schematic -- Draft # 01 (Right side)

SPNKr Schematic -- Draft # 01 (Close-up)

After I finished with the accurate stencil template, I figured I'd have a little fun with it and drew up a couple "Hold Like This" gag illustrations just for $#!^ and giggles, lol:

SPNKr Schematic -- Hold Like This

And there you have it. You can compare the lettering on the schematic to the side detail ref pic I linked to in the last post to see how close I got it to what appears on the in-game model.

Now that I'm mostly done the other side profile (as can be seen in the second pic linked to above, one part of the schematic is missing, due to an error I made that needed to be fixed), I'll be able to move on to the dorsal and ventral views next.

SPARTAN II said:
After I finished with the accurate stencil template, I figured I'd have a little fun with it and drew up a couple "Hold Like This" gag illustrations just for $#!^ and giggles, lol:
dsc00179.jpg

They're from the after market ones that had to be recalled aren't they? I heard they made their way onto the black market and killed some insurgents who followed the "ïnstructional diagrams" :p

Looking very good Sparten II. Once you get the first view done it all starts to come together a lot easier doesn't it?

I also noticed in your profile that you don't have Xbox live. If you ever need any reference pictures taken from out of the game let me know. ;)

LeeKegan said:
Love the hold like this!:lol:

Drawing are great.

juliet76 said:
They're from the after market ones that had to be recalled aren't they? I heard they made their way onto the black market and killed some insurgents who followed the "ïnstructional diagrams" :p

Looking very good Sparten II. Once you get the first view done it all starts to come together a lot easier doesn't it?

I also noticed in your profile that you don't have Xbox live. If you ever need any reference pictures taken from out of the game let me know. ;)

BOLD # 1: I don't know exactly what prompted me to do those, but I figured they'd be good for a laugh, lol

BOLD # 2: You've got it! Darn after-market/black market recalls :lol:

BOLD # 3: You're so right. Since I've finished figuring out the size and proportions of the SPNKr with the first one (which is mainly why it took so long to complete), the rest are coming along a helluva lot quicker. And I've still got half a work week of lunch breaks to work on the others. So, who knows... maybe I'll have these all done by the weekend :)

BOLD # 4: Thanks, buddy. If I need anymore ref pics from out of the game, I'll let you know ;)

EDIT: In the course of just one lunch hour, I've now almost finished the dorsal (top) view schematic, lol. This is just my first draft, of course... I can already see there will need to be a few revisions to be made, but it's progress. Man, I seem to be just flying through these now, heh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back