Can Dry Resin Fumes Cause Cancer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gearsofhalo

Can Dry Resin Fumes cause cancer? because I have an armor peice in my room and it has a very strong smell of resin. even when it is dry is it still poisonous? I Don't want to die!!!!!!!! lol, But please any assistance is appreciated.

Gearsofhalo said:
Can Dry Resin Fumes cause cancer? because I have an armor peice in my room and it has a very strong smell of resin. even when it is dry is it still poisonous? I Don't want to die!!!!!!!! lol, But please any assistance is appreciated.

It doesn't literally "Cause Cancer" or "Kill you".

But it could be a possibility, perhaps it would Stimulate cancer, or make it worse if you already have it.

But it cant "Cause" it, Not on its own anyway. But to answer your question. No.
If your Resin has fully 100% cured, then it should be harmless. Have you checked your house for any open resin bottles, spillages or drops on your clothes? And did you use the hardener correctly? If you spilt some on the floor without realising, it wont dry without hardener. So that could be the course of the fumes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ackkk! Cancer?! I sure hope it doesn't, because Ill have to have to store all my armour parts in my room when they've been resined! *shudders at thought of cancer*

I will go and find out now, with the power of google ;]

Inhaling the fumes caused by the chemical reaction between the resin and hardener could potentially cause cancer - they're carcinogenic. But that's more of a risk from the active reaction - cured resin just smells a bit. A suggestion I've seen here is to rub your part over with baby powder to take the smell away.

xxFemaleSpartanxx said:
Ackkk! Cancer?! I sure hope it doesn't, because Ill have to have to store all my armour parts in my room when they've been resined! *shudders at thought of cancer*

I will go and find out now, with the power of google ;]
Oh... Well WET Resin. That is dangerous.

I wouldn't leave that stuff in your room. Especially if you sleep in that room. Unless you plan on wearing a respirator to sleep, you will need to find a different place to store your curing pieces.

Edit: Yeah... What Crucible said... :S

check that the resin is hard and make sure you get the mixing ratios right. also, make sure the temperature is okay for curing. dry resin does not give of fumes.

other than that, it's probably just the "after smell"... if you're sure the resin has cured properly, leave the pieces outside (or in a well ventilated room if weather is bad). babypowder is a good idea, however, just remember it's not the ideal solution as your pieces should smell okay, if you just have them lying around (they still stink if you smell them)

oh yeah: check for spillages, if you spilled resin somewhere, it'll continue to stink.

If it smells at all, it means it's not fully cured. Baby powder (talc) will soak up whatever tackiness is left to fully dry it and stop the fumes.

Sigma-LS said:
If it smells at all, it means it's not fully cured. Baby powder (talc) will soak up whatever tackiness is left to fully dry it and stop the fumes.

On the Resin piece or just like around it?

On the piece. But even if it feels dry to the touch the piece may not completely cure for several weeks without proper outside temp. It's cold in winter so that can cause problems at this time of year.

The Stig said:
Oh... Well WET Resin. That is dangerous.

I wouldn't leave that stuff in your room. Especially if you sleep in that room. Unless you plan on wearing a respirator to sleep, you will need to find a different place to store your curing pieces.

Edit: Yeah... What Crucible said... :S
Ah boodly hell, having said that, I just remembered that I used to work with Bondo putty when I installed a ram air scoop on my car. Of course I didn't know the dangers and the guy that worked for my dad was bloody stupid so neither of us wore masks.

Poll: Am I boned?

The resin just smells really toxic, it's actually only bad enough to give you a fume high (Toxic Inhalation Psychosis), but it can't really kill you unless you spend like a constant 10-20 years around it.

The MEKP hardener however is the real nasty stuff! Those fumes can cause significant damage under constant short exposure. Mix them together and you get the worst of both worlds but after it's 100% hardened and cured (2-8 hours depending) you can literally eat off of it without getting into trouble as it is now a plastic (anything involving a resin-catalyst mix falls under the category of thermoplastics). I wouldn't personally recommend eating off of it, but it is 100% plastic after you are done and no longer toxic.

At any rate, wear your respirator, work next to an open window, and use a fan to blow the fumes out that window until the resin is completely cured.

EDIT: As a side note, Acrylic is food safe even though it contains cyanide. And there are a lot of plastic plates and cups that are made out of a plastic that consists of a melamine-formaldehyde compound, and they're all completely safe to eat off of in their mixed polymer state... just don't microwave them or heat them up in an oven.

Acrylic you can heat form but DO NOT EXCEED 375°F! You will start to see bubbles which are actually cyanide gas decomposing out of the rest of the plastic. It's good because you can do this in your oven and actually make visors by bending the saggy acrylic around a large round form, let it cool, and then use gold auto tint on the inside to get it perfect.

You can also cast acrylic if you have an autoclave rig.

Sean Bradley said:
Warmth and extra hardener.. thats about it.

Yep. Remember kids, all resins are thermosetting meaning that heat will cure them, the hotter it is the faster it cures. Resin Hardener is something that you mix into the resin in order to form an exothermic (heat generating) reaction in order to speed the curing time.

But don't explode yourself as these jawns usually have a flashpoint of about 250°F. Also, you can double up on the hardener to get the resin to cure faster. I usually do this if i'm adding spraypaint or some other pigment containing a solvent to color it. Works like a dream! But if you put too much hardener into the mix you'll reach flashpoint and cause either a fire or an explosion. Don't screw around unless you have to!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back