**Carpathia's Mk VI Armor: Master Chief Going into Cryostasis!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking very good.

Yes. Foam brushed do not work with resin, or spray / auto paint. Use some of those cheap chip brushes.

Hey Carp, how many cans of spray paint have you gone through so far? I'm getting close to the painting stage for my suit and I'm curious as to how much $$$ I need to set aside for paint.

Over the entire suit, I think I've gone through 3 or 4 cans of primer, 3 or 4 cans of Italian Olive, 3 cans of Silver, 2 cans of Dark Grey Primer and 2 cans of clear coat. I have to go out tonight to pick up a can of everything but the base primer. Hopefully, what I buy today will be enough for the cod and the torso, it should be enough. So, assuming about $4 per can (give or take) I think I've spent somewhere in the range of $60 in paint, with another $16 - $20 coming up.

What kind of paint are you getting, the Rustoleum stuff or Krylon or something else?
I went to Walmart this past weekend and my wife bought a can of the Krylon primer to paint a dresser. She went through an entire can without even getting full coverage on the dresser (and it was a small dresser).

I'm using Krylon Primer, Italian Olive, Silver and Flat Clear Coat, and Rustoleum Dark Grey Primer. I know it's not recommended to mix different brands of spray paint, but I've had very few problems so far, plus the dark grey primer under the italian olive is a great effect.

Krylon now has larger cans of primer spray, which I find very nice since it's what I seem to go through fastest.

Yea, the Krylon can we got said something like 25% more or whatever on it, but she still seemed to burn through it pretty quick. Might be because she has literally never spray painted anything before and I wasn't supervising her... Hopefully I'll be able to get more life out of a can than she did.

Well, tonight was a little crazy. I went out to get the supplies that I need to finish up my cod. I got the mat board from Hobby Lobby just fine, but I went to one Walmart to get the paint and they only had the Dark Grey Primer and the Italian Olive, but not the Flat Clear spray that I needed (I decided to hold off on the silver for now), so I went over to the other Walmart across town only to find that they had the Flat Clear spray, but no Dark Grey Primer or Italian Olive!! I should have just bought the two colors while I was there, but I figured the better-stocked Walmart would have everything I needed, and I didn't feel like dragging my wife and daughter back across town again just for a few cans of paint. I'll have to pick them up tomorrow. I did get this done though...

DSCN1227.jpg

So now my torso is ready for resin, which I hope to start tomorrow as well. I should be able to finish the paint job of my cod up on Thursday, there are still a few details I need to add in, but I'll wait until I'm doing that to divulge that information.

Anyway, crazy day! Let me know what you think of the detail!

No!! Do not use foam brushes! They'll just fall apart when you try to brush the resin on.

Thanks for chiming in GuitarMaster. Sorry for the bad info. My project is already littered with the fragmented fingertips of nitrile gloves that were sold as being resin proof (only vinyl works for polyester), I would not want to add bits of foam to the work as well!

Redshirt

The back detail looks awesome, it makes me wish I had done it the way you're doing it rather than pep those little details.

Sorry about being a bit off topic here, but how could one buy these Krylon paints in Europe?
I've tried to search Ebay but there are very few colors available, and one would of course prefer to order from a single vendor to minimize shipping costs... Not to mention that the average prices go as high as $10-15 per can :O

Sorry about being a bit off topic here, but how could one buy these Krylon paints in Europe?
I've tried to search Ebay but there are very few colors available, and one would of course prefer to order from a single vendor to minimize shipping costs... Not to mention that the average prices go as high as $10-15 per can :O

You will have to look on the internet, as Krylon is typically available only in the US (as far as I know). I found a few websites that ship over seas, but the shipping for one can is nearly $40 (about 30 euro or 9,000 HUF, I'm not sure which is used in Hungary), when I checked how much shipping would be on 10 cans, it doubled. Unless you have a large amount of spray paint you wish to order and have shipped, it may not worth it.

Well, I'll probably have to look for something else that's available here then. I just thought that Krylon is a proven brand and that's one less thing to research, but it looks like I can't skip this part ;)

Thanks for the help though!

Well, had a bit of a setback today. I got the base paint job for the cod piece done, and went to do a test fit. Apparently, the foam belt makes the fit of the cod too tight with my undersuit on. Being the stubborn guy I am, I tried to force it. I got one buckle closed, then switched over to the other buckle, pushed a bit and heard it lock into place, then I let go and heard a snap followed by the sound of something very small landing on the floor. When I looked, I saw this...

DSCN1230.jpg

Now that I think about it, relying on that tiny bit of plastic to hold the cod on was kind of dumb, so I've got to rethink the buckle system. I have an idea, and I'll let you all know how it goes. That's it for now.

Dang, that sucks.

I hope that the rest of your armor wont do the same thing. That would not be cool!

I guess the close up shot makes your cod look really good and smooth.

Thankfully it broke when it did, and not at a later more inopportune moment. I'll be interested to see what your new solution is.

Ok, got some work done tonight, and I'm in a much better position now. Before, I was using buckles like this...

DSCN0874.jpg

The same type I am using in my boots. Well, my boots can take it because the buckles are simply to hold the front cover on, and have no structural purpose other than that. There is very little stress on them as I walk around. With the cod, the two buckles were subjected to much more stress and were pivotal in holding the cod pieces together. For this, I needed something a bit more sturdy. I started looking for heavier duty front release buckles, but then I got to thinking, I've got tons of these on hand...

DSCN1238.jpg

So, I started to look it over, and thought with a little care, they could work. So, I traced their outline on over the current buckles and tacked them into place...

DSCN1231.jpg

DSCN1234.jpg

After a little bondo and some spot putty, this is where they are now...

DSCN1237.jpg

They still retain the overall shape of the buckle, but I have easy access to the sides so I can unbuckle them, they're much more sturdy, and I actually think they look pretty cool. Now I just have to let the spot putty dry, sand it down a bit and paint over it in black. I tried to get as little bondo and spot putty on the paint job as possible, so I didn't have to repaint, and I think I did ok. So, tomorrow, I'll be able to finish the paint job for the cod.

I also took the opportunity to do another test fit, with much better results than yesterday...

DSCN1241.jpg

DSCN1242.jpg

DSCN1244.jpg

I've decided that I'm going to trade in my current pants for something less bulky, probably a pair of underarmor pants or something similar. The pants I have now are just too difficult to keep in the armor, they end up sagging over the back sides of the thighs and are just kind of a pain.

I also have to do a little repair work on my undersuit as this has happened to both sides over the past year...

DSCN1245.jpg

It's nothing major, and the cod piece covers it, but it will only get worse if I do nothing. I think I'll replace the two panels and install a zipper, so I don't have to pull it up over my hips (which is what ends up pulling on the vinyl the most).

Well, that's what I've been up to for the night. I'm pretty much on schedule, the cod will be more or less finished tomorrow (before the end of the month as I had planned) and I can get back to work on my torso and have that finished by the end of September! Let me know what you think!

Setbacks suck but at least it was small fixes that were needed. But on the other hand it all looks great but that is another reason you are a moderator, lol :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back