CLOTHAR's ODST Armour Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad to see your build back up and running I was really wanting to see some foam odst armor, and I really admire your space marine armor

Ninja - Thanks man, the space marine armour was (and still is) a lot of fun.

Life has been busy, so progress on the ODST has been slow. But I have been able to pick away at it over the last month. Finished up the shin piece, and got a start on the helmet. I think it is coming along nicely, but it is a very detailed piece, so I am taking my time. I will let the pictures do the talking here:

Foam32_zpscc8619bb.jpg

Foam34_zpsca8600cd.jpg

Foam35_zps4fe03cd5.jpg

Foam37_zps0a81162d.jpg

Foam38_zpsa9f228a6.jpg

Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• Foam32_zpscc8619bb.jpg
    Foam32_zpscc8619bb.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 218
  • Foam34_zpsca8600cd.jpg
    Foam34_zpsca8600cd.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 193
  • Foam35_zps4fe03cd5.jpg
    Foam35_zps4fe03cd5.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 217
  • Foam37_zps0a81162d.jpg
    Foam37_zps0a81162d.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 187
  • Foam38_zpsa9f228a6.jpg
    Foam38_zpsa9f228a6.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 222
It been a little while since I've been over to this thread, and it looks like you've gotten a lot of stuff done recently. This is coming out very nicely! I'm impressed (and just a tad bit jealous) that your helmet is looking as great as it is. :). I can't wait to see this when it's finished man.

Looks really cool! Going to be starting on my own ODST build soon. So watching what you do to see if i can incorporate some stuff into my build.

Thanks everyone!

I managed to get the helmet mostly done, so I am almost done phase 1. Soon it will be onto detailing and prep for molding.

Helmet still needs a few finishing touches, but it is done enough that I can see it, and be happy with the size!

Foam39_zpsb4f74757.jpgFoam40_zpsb179a1bc.jpgFoam42_zps868acc14.jpgFoam43_zps4c6ae7e9.jpg

Attachments

• Foam43_zps4c6ae7e9.jpg
    Foam43_zps4c6ae7e9.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 236
  • Foam42_zps868acc14.jpg
    Foam42_zps868acc14.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 197
  • Foam40_zpsb179a1bc.jpg
    Foam40_zpsb179a1bc.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 200
  • Foam39_zpsb4f74757.jpg
    Foam39_zpsb4f74757.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 189
Wait just a second ... You made the helmet from foam too ? That's one sexy job for a foam helmet I always thought it wouldn't work because it's so curvy but you seemed to manage . This build is coming along great can't wait to see more !

looking at this build makes me want to do an ODST from foam for my next build!

Nice build that is truely some beautiful foam armor. Definetly the best foam ODST helmet I have ever seen :)

I have a quick question for you if you don't mind. I notice that you have used cardboard or something for spacers in sections of your helmet. What exactly are you using? I must say, it's pretty clever.

Hey all. I have been working on detailing pieces of the armour. Not really much to show in photos at the moment.

Father Damien - Hmmm, the space marine was tougher in the sense that I was learning the method. But the ODST has a lot more corners, and finer detail, so I would say the ODST has been more difficult.

Sikaxis - Yep, it is all foam! I have tried Pep in the past and it just isn't for me.

U513 - Thanks, glad you like it. You should give it a go.

Spicythai - Thanks, I look forward to seeing your version. Your spartan suit has a cool paintjob.

Flushercape - Thanks! I appreciate it.

Grave_Hawk - Good eye Hawk. It is actually 2 mm craft foam. It will save lots of effort/stress trying to carve the grooves in later!

Spartan 1336 - Well the project is incomplete, but so far... probably around $75 for foam, hot glue, and knife blades. I haven't formally tracked my time, but probably at least 50 hours, including scaling, printing, tracing, cutting and building.

Cool thanks im going to start my first suit of armorwhen i get the time im going with O.D.S.T variation one question do you know how durable the foam armor is because i want to know if i can use it for paintball I've seen armor that can handle it but didn't know what it was made of

I wouldn't recommend using foam armour for paintball. I think it would get beat up pretty quickly. You could coat the foam in plastic or resin to give it some added durability. I definitely wouldn't use a home made helmet for paintball. If the armour on your body gets damaged no biggy, but you could get seriously injured on your head/face if a helmet breaks.

Well life has been pretty busy over the last while, and I have been chipping away at a few things. I have been modifying the gauntlets for a better fit, and trying to get them to look a little more accurate. But no pictures of them since they are still in progress. I did decide to rebuild the shin piece. My earlier version was just too large, I tried modifying them but they were starting to lose features. But the new ones are great. The fit allows for much better movement. And, I modified the patterns in a few places to get a more accurate model. Pics:

Foam44_zpsd91e2b1e.jpg

Foam45_zps619b2d55.jpg

Attachments

• Foam44_zpsd91e2b1e.jpg
    Foam44_zpsd91e2b1e.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 196
  • Foam45_zps619b2d55.jpg
    Foam45_zps619b2d55.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 189
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back