Curiosity killed the Kat (a noob build)

Status
Not open for further replies.
nice. i'm'ma watch this. we're planning to do a couple of halo armors so most probably i'll be doing Kat also. really cool build!

Sorry about the lack of updates as of late. Anime Central (a convention in Chicago that I work at) is next month, so I'm in the process of finishing this year's cosplay for there: Alex Mercer (blade arm form) from [PROTOTYPE]. Here's what it looked like in February at Anime Milwaukee:

183631_774342234847_5601787_41816248_399888_n-1.jpg

(photo courtesy of The Enthusiasts)

I've added some more detail to the blade arm (like red veining an such), and I'm in the process of fixing up the jacket a bit. I'm in a rush to finish this because I've been having too much fun making Kat's armor!

Now, onto the Kat build. My underarmor came in the mail a few days ago, and what amuses me to no end is it, well, doesn't take into account that a girl could wear the armor at some point. XD Still, it shouldn't be a problem as the chestpiece has enough room to accommodate the...bulge...yeah. -_-

I've finished the helmet v2, and I'm liking it - I think I'll be using this helmet to move forward. I've also moved onto the thigh pieces. Now, I'm using the female versions first, albeit with some trepidation. See...I'm a former figure skater, and current inline hockey player - meaning I have very muscular, non-female-ish legs. My fear is that my legs won't fit the female versions of the thighs and calves. Therefore, I've decided to build the left thigh and calf first, using the female versions. As soon as I'm back from running to McD's to get the boyfriend and I some unhealthy-but-so-good breakfast, I'll show some pics of the progress on the thigh, as well as the helmet and other goodie pics!

Last edited by a moderator:
Cardboard inner skeleton reinforced with dowels and craft wire, expanding insulation foam, and paper maché. Thankfully, for being 3'10" tall, it weighs less than 5 pounds. I'm glad you like it!

Cardboard inner skeleton reinforced with dowels and craft wire, expanding insulation foam, and paper maché. Thankfully, for being 3'10" tall, it weighs less than 5 pounds. I'm glad you like it!
I did a Prototype build for Akon last year. I made my mercer blade out of housing insulation (the big pink sheets). its a teeeensy bit heavier than 5 pounds i think, but it looks absolutely gorgeous. I had so much fun being a pudgey Mercer XD http://night-eco.deviantart.com/art/Alex-Mercer-Cosplay-168550190

i think the design is alot more accurate to the game than some i've seen, shape and color wise, but i still love yours. :D

I just like using the foam core because its very very stable. as long as you reinforce any thin parts with something..

Dont know how well it reacts to resin/bondo yet. my 3M spray adhesive likes to pockmark it.

This looks really good, I can't wait to get started on my own build, although I have much less experience :)

If I could ask a couple of questions..
Do you think your previous experience has had a great impact on your ability to build these pieces?

And where did you get the under armour you mentioned from? I've been looking all over the web for something semi-authentic..

I did a Prototype build for Akon last year. I made my mercer blade out of housing insulation (the big pink sheets). its a teeeensy bit heavier than 5 pounds i think, but it looks absolutely gorgeous. I had so much fun being a pudgey Mercer XD http://night-eco.deviantart.com/art/Alex-Mercer-Cosplay-168550190
i think the design is alot more accurate to the game than some i've seen, shape and color wise, but i still love yours. :D
I just like using the foam core because its very very stable. as long as you reinforce any thin parts with something..
Yours was one of the versions I looked to for inspiration before making mine! ^_^ Eventually, I decided to go for the jewel case version of the blade, not the in-game version. I like both versions, but me staring at the case for Prototype was what got me to buy it in the first place....and today it's one of my proudest Platinums I've got!

I'd considered foam core at the beginning, but then I came across Kamui's cosplay blog where she talks about using expanding foam for her props. I figured....why the hell not? I'll be bringing this to Anime Central this year and next year (yay Prototype 2 giving me a good reason to do so), so I think I'll be continuously tweaking this (like getting around to adding the tubing I bought for veins) over the next year.

Do you think your previous experience has had a great impact on your ability to build these pieces?
And where did you get the under armour you mentioned from? I've been looking all over the web for something semi-authentic..
Well, I had absolutely no experience building anything of this scale...I'm just too stubborn not to try and do this! :p As for the under armor, I ended up buying this one. Though one thing to consider if you're going to use this piece: buy the under armor first, then work on measuring your arms!! The padding adds a decent amount of bulk to your arms...and I had to scrap the robo elbow joint I'd already made because of it. My chestpiece was unaffected by the added size, but I guess I lucked out there.

Also, since I've tooled out and keep forgetting to take pictures of my progress, I'm going to *try* to make a video update tonight. If I fail at that....there will be pictures! But for now, enjoy me test-fitting the visor in the helmet, and my mane of hair spilling out from under it!

LjBc6.jpg

Alrighty - I'm back in business! ^_^

Over the past couple of months, I've been overly busy - the convention I work at, new job responsibilities, picking up roller derby, so on and so forth. As such, this project had to sit on the back burner for a while. Thankfully I've got time to start working again!

Being at work, I can't really post new picture of what I've been working on; I can, however, tell you. One of the hurdles I'd come across were my legs: to be frank, I'm built like a guy from the thighs down in the sense that I've got very muscular legs. The problem there is that the female versions of the shins and thighs don't even come close to fitting me. Thus, I'd been using the male files of just the left leg for the time being. I've also had to compensate for the fact that I'll be wearing armor on my upper body, so the arm files will have to be tweaked to fit. *sigh* So below you'll find the text updates, with pictures happening tonight.

Shin
The shin came out really well. The good news is that height-wise it's perfect...the bad news is that even before reinforcing, it fits me like a glove. As such, I'll be adding "spacers" in the back to make the shin wider (think what BLACKULA727 did to his helmet).

Thigh
I already know that this piece will be giving the most hell, as I have very muscular thighs (thank you, skating/marching/roller derby/etc.). Combining this with the fact that I actually have proportionally-short legs meant that I went through 4 thigh builds with no luck whatsoever in getting them to fit me. Then I found a thread on here that showed the builder (I can't remember your name, sorry) made his own inner thigh "fins" separately using foam covered in fake leather. EUREKA! :D So, my next step is to do just that - make the thigh piece fit me height-wise, pep everything except the fins, and build them in later. Hopefully this will work.

Torso
I made the torso, but butchered the fiberglass job. Plus I found a more accurate model that I want to make. So I'll be rebuilding that.

Forearm
The armor around the elbow (even the area near the elbow that my forearm piece rests) is pretty big, so I'll need to add a wedge-like spacer to the left forearm piece to compensate. Once I get a feel for how big of a spacer I'll need, I'll build the right forearm. As for the right elbow, I might just make the "face" of the piece and make a custom-sized piece that goes around the circumference of the arm.

Bicep/Shoulder
The shoulder pieces are done, with one coming out a lot better than the other one. If anything, I might use the shoulder to teach myself how to cast parts...it's simple enough, right?

As for the bicep, I'll most likely have to make it to fit me length-wise, and either split it into two parts to get it over the elbow armor or put the bicep piece on over the armor before I put the armor on myself. We'll see what I'll have to do soon enough. :p

Helmet
This is the furthest along of the pieces - I'm currently in the Bondo/sanding stage. I've still got a lot of sanding left to do (I had to rebuild the chin as the pep chin turned out terribly), but it's coming along nicely.

That's it for this update. Apologies for taking so long to post anything, and eventually necroing my build thread. Hope to see everyone more often around here!

Thigh
I already know that this piece will be giving the most hell, as I have very muscular thighs (thank you, skating/marching/roller derby/etc.). Combining this with the fact that I actually have proportionally-short legs meant that I went through 4 thigh builds with no luck whatsoever in getting them to fit me. Then I found a thread on here that showed the builder (I can't remember your name, sorry) made his own inner thigh "fins" separately using foam covered in fake leather. EUREKA! :D So, my next step is to do just that - make the thigh piece fit me height-wise, pep everything except the fins, and build them in later. Hopefully this will work.

I'm currently working on my fourth thigh for the same reason. I'm 6'4" and have muscular legs. I might have to try this other method.

Overall, keep up the excellent work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back