Destiny pepakura files (download within)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1, the last post in this thread was back in November. Even at only one month you're walking the fine line to Necroposting, which is highly discouraged here.

But to answer your question, if you open up a file in the Pepakura program and click the "unfold" button, that's exactly what you'll get. The program will just chop the model into random pieces and vomit it up in the 2D window. The clean, organized unfolded models you see in the archive or the database are the result of meticulous work and, depending on the model's complexity, many, many hours of going over each of those chunks and breaking them down into more sensible components while simultaneously trying to maintain uniformity and symmetry (for example not having one "cheek plate" be in three pieces while the other is in five) as well as making sure the pieces are small enough to fit within the bounds of the paper, and to make sure the individual pieces can come together without nightmarishly complex folding. And if they're like me, an unfolder might also spend an hour or more obsessing over the layout of the flaps themselves trying to get the most support for an ideal fit and the most surface area for proper adhesion.

In short, there is no shortcut to a clean, ready-for-print unfolded model. And to make matters more complicated, the site you are pulling these models form does not use "pep-ready" models, per se. There's a lot of unnecessary components (areas that are better suited for soft materials rather than rigid pep work) as well as overlapping pieces (a scout rifle model, for example, will have every available sight and scope option for that particular model layered one on top of the other, so you might very well have a dozen or more different sights/scopes all jammed into the one model).

It's best to start with a cleaned-up model. Folks like Crimmson and several others have done great clean-up work and might be open to requests, but there may be a waiting list. Once the model is cleaned up, if they're feeling ambitious (or if it's a model they, themselves, are interested in) they might unfold it for you, otherwise it's up to you to find someone willing to unfold it, or take on the task yourself. It takes some practice to get used to and to learn what to look for. Sometimes when the program does its initial unfold it will stick pieces together that overlap and need to be separated, otherwise when it's printed out you're not going to be able to use that piece without creating a problem area.

Hello! I had a few questions about Pepakura for all of you. I've never used the program before but I wanna give it a shot with the Nerigal Savant III helmet I'm working on.

So, first things first: If the model is made up of several shells that clip into each other, will Pepakura attempt to combine them (this is what I hope it will do), or will the program just make multiple files for me to print? I've used Shapeways in the past and know that if two things are clipping in the STL, they will merge it. So I know it's possible.

Secondly, I'm planning on making the helmet out of the cardstock first, to see if I've done the scaling right. Once I've done that, I'll bring it to Shapeways to print it in ABS Plastic (If it's cheap enough). Is that a good plan, or no?

Finally, I had a question about the cardstock. If the Shapeways plastic proves too expensive, there's a good chance I will just keep the cardstock helmet and paint it. I've seen lots of videos with people using the cardstock, but then pouring resin over the helmet to made it sturdier. To me, Cardstock already seems pretty sturdy. Should I bother with it, as it will be my first time and expensive, or go for the cheap option?

Thanks in advance!

how are you supposed to download it, everytime i try it trys to make me intall all of this other crap, pleasefix this, and who the actual **** makes a download a pdo file, make it a pdf file, but which download thing do you click because everytime i click on one its like "your software download is ready", please fix this or tell me what i need to do because id really like to make this helmet

- - - Updated - - -

how are you supposed to download it, everytime i try it trys to make me intall all of this other crap, pleasefix this, and who the actual **** makes a download a pdo file, make it a pdf file, but which download thing do you click because everytime i click on one its like "your software download is ready", please fix this or tell me what i need to do because id really like to make this helmet

Is it possible for someone to turn this into a pepakura file? It's the Young Ahamkaras Spine for the hunter, from Destiny of course. :) Young_Ahamkara's_Spine.jpeg

It has been a while since I last posted here, been quite busy, anyways, I have some 3D files of some destiny weapons and armor but I am not skilled enough to properly unfold them. Could anyone help me with them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back