Engraving Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lbrewardB52

Hi i've almost finished my first clay peace but i would like to put some UNSC sort code and armor cereal numbers on it for extra detail. The question is will it come out in the silicon or should i put it on the resin cast after. i think i'll use a standard stencil to do this

any ideas? thanks for reading and your help

It should definitely come out in a silicon mold. Silicon is made to capture every little detail, even pores in your skin.

Yes, it will show up in the silicone as I did miniature work in silicone and the level of detail picked up is huge. I do agree with Kensai that paint would do a better job. Aside from part number and things like that, I wouldn't carve any sort of group affiliation into the actual design of the piece as these things change from one group to another and from time to time. And another thing is any sort of serial number would be underneath the armor and not on top.

And I believe you mean serial number and not cereal number. Cereals are for breakfast. And sometimes lunch but mostly breakfast.

Meleck said:
And I believe you mean serial number and not cereal number. Cereals are for breakfast. And sometimes lunch but mostly breakfast.

Don't forget the midnight snack...

Silicone will pick up ANYTHING, just watch air bubbles, or you'll have some delicate bondo work to do. I would personally spray the numbers on. That, or you could use decals, Model railroad shops stock TONS of dry-transfer lettering that you could use. It'll save you some time.

Last edited by a moderator:
cool all taken onboard, i don't want to paint it on. i want it to look like it has been machined.

i did mean cereal number because spartans only eat cornflakes and i was going to use the number off the box!!!!

You want it to have a machined look. That exactly what I meant by serial number. It can easily be done and it would be reproduce in your final mold. It can be done but it can be tricky as such little details is the kind of place air bubbles like to rest. And that somewhat destroys the effect. That number I would place out of sight. Such as the underside lip at the back of the helmet. After all, if it's a serial or part number, it's not something you need to refer to in the middle of combat.

I find that kind of detail is like the detail used in the Lord of Ring for some of the armor where only the actor would see that detail but that helped him get into character. It shows how dedicated you are to the craft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back