Etilka 2.0 (M427H) Chaingun

PapaBear271

Member DIN
S271
Although I love my giant model of Etilka that I used at the 2023 HCS Cosplay Contest, it is not the easiest thing to transport being over 5' long (~1.6m). Unfit did a good job converting a game model of it into a printable 3d model, but it is just one solid piece. I've been working on another version that breaks down into 3 pieces: The forward barrel assembly, the rear receiver assembly, and the magazine. The magazine will hold my mini smoke machine (in blue in the pictures) that will simulate a hot barrel and muzzle smoke.

So here's a preview:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-12 Barrel.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-12 Barrel.png
    746.8 KB · Views: 43
  • Screenshot 2024-02-12 full.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-12 full.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 49
  • Screenshot 2024-02-12 Mag.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-12 Mag.png
    670.1 KB · Views: 43
  • Screenshot 2024-02-12 Rcvr WIP.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-12 Rcvr WIP.png
    921.1 KB · Views: 41
Looks really cool. I too have been working on how to make the turret break down into three parts. My initial thought was PVC and magnets, but it seems the PVC just isn't strong enough to support the weight. Recently I picked up some 5/8" cold rolled steel solid square bar. I'm planning to cut it into 2" chunks glued into one side that sticks out and the other part will click into a square hole that will have magnets. I'll let you know how it goes.

Looks really cool. I too have been working on how to make the turret break down into three parts. My initial thought was PVC and magnets, but it seems the PVC just isn't strong enough to support the weight. Recently I picked up some 5/8" cold rolled steel solid square bar. I'm planning to cut it into 2" chunks glued into one side that sticks out and the other part will click into a square hole that will have magnets. I'll let you know how it goes.
So I plan to make this modular with alternate build capabilities for an actual base mounted turret gun with the shield plate.

So I should have started off by pulling a screen grab of the game asset I have in blender and making a canvas of it in Fusion. I've gone back to the very first step and I'm remodeling it to match the game asset. I've deviated a few times to facilitate actually printing the gun in the real world, but it's getting pretty close.

Attachments

• Etilka 2.1.png
    Etilka 2.1.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 33
  • Etilka 2.1a.png
    Etilka 2.1a.png
    428.7 KB · Views: 30
Hey PapaBear! Is there any chance you would share your amazing ammo box you created for your turret in either a STL or OBJ file? I am working on building out the old Halo 3 Turret gun, and the game assets for that turret box are beyond boring. I am just working on scaling but I got the motor and belt feed already completed. I am reskinning a modded X-Shot Insanity Motorized Rage Fire gun with a 3D printed Halo 3 turret shell.
1712597882405.png

Hey PapaBear! Is there any chance you would share your amazing ammo box you created for your turret in either a STL or OBJ file? I am working on building out the old Halo 3 Turret gun, and the game assets for that turret box are beyond boring. I am just working on scaling but I got the motor and belt feed already completed. I am reskinning a modded X-Shot Insanity Motorized Rage Fire gun with a 3D printed Halo 3 turret shell.
I still have some more work to do on the magazine. I actually broke the magazine completely off of my current version of etilka at Emerald City CC and had to weld it back together with superglue. Someone also broke the back handle off it as they bumped into me there at ECCC that had to be welded back into place. I just had it at wondercon and the extreme weight (15lbs/6.8kg) and the fragility of my model is making me reconsider how I am going to build version 2.0. I don't enjoy walking a con floor with it as it is so big, heavy, and delicate. I'm looking at using the model I've created to make it out of reinforced foam to cut down on the weight and make it more durable.
That said, I haven't worked on my 3d model lately just due to work/life balance. I need to get back to finishing the modeling of it because I want to be done with version 2.0 before HCS in Seattle this October. I'm still planning on finishing the 3d model and printing out a detailed "hero" version for close up pictures and a booth prop. I'll be offering up the model once I'm done with it.
I'll let you know when I get the mag redesigned. I'm planning on reinforcing the mag connection with PVC pipe, but I have to work out the details on how I'm going to do it. It's on my to-do list. lol

I love this. Great modeling so far, too. I wonder if it would be possible to deviate from 3D printing and utilize some carbon fiber? If the main concern is weight (and especially weight long reaches, like at the tip of a barrel, which definitely makes the weight feel exaggerated lol) carbon fiber layups (or chopped fiber kits) might be a great solution.

3D printing a mold for a carbon fiber layup is a pretty common technique. It is a bit more expensive than just straight up 3D printing your parts, but the weight savings mighttttt be worth it, depending on what your weight goals are.

Honestly, if you could make 1/3 of the gun out of carbon fiber, you could probably save 3 or 4 pounds (and gain a lot of strength). Again, the important weight removal is all at the tip of the gun.

Just throwing out ideas! No pressure haha. Love what you're doing here!

I recently used copper piping in a large prop for the structural support. I'd highly recommend as its lighter than PVC and you can drill holes through it to insert pin screws to hold everything together.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back