Evilpenguin's grav hammer build (updated 20th may 2011, pic heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be following this one too. Need to learn as much as I can before I start making one.

:)

I'll be following this one too. Need to learn as much as I can before I start making one.

:)

you're following my plans??? my main tools are normaly a hammer and duct tape :p lol half of it is looted from other builds and plans, lots from 3d models, and a healthy dollop of spur of the moment freehand and messing around with very dangerous power tools. as i said, my family are putting bets on injury severity whenever i say i'm doing more on this :p but feel free, i can send over my designs etc if you want them lol

you're following my plans??? my main tools are normaly a hammer and duct tape :p lol half of it is looted from other builds and plans, lots from 3d models, and a healthy dollop of spur of the moment freehand and messing around with very dangerous power tools. as i said, my family are putting bets on injury severity whenever i say i'm doing more on this :p but feel free, i can send over my designs etc if you want them lol

Yup... Im following it... I have found that I learn something new with each persons build. Usually because each person tackles a build differently. It's those differences that help me to decide how I want to tackle my build.

Basically the same concept that you are using to build yours. "looted from other builds and plans" heheh.

At this point in time, I'm just researching and preparing materials. Then it will be "HAMMER TIME"

Cheers!

right i know i have not been on here for ages, been doing 84315146544 different things this last month or so, plus the weather was too good to lurk at home when i wasn't busy.

this week i have lieele planned so the new idea is to do loads of the hammer if i can. yesterday i was busy with a palm sander giving the completed pieces a nice bevelled edge and making sure the edges looked better (when i glued the layers together there were occasional cockups which meant the edges did not meet perfectly, but heavy sanding fixed that)

Today i have started to cut more pieces and make the head of the hammer from 2 big cool looking side pieces into a solid 3d thing.

20110509_003.jpg

yes. my grav hammer will also make toast. jealous?

20110509_004.jpg

ignore the little bit of wood on the bottom of the side piece, i was only using that to help spread the glue evenly

20110509_005.jpg

woo no more need to brace! it holds! it lives! IT LIVES! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

.... sorry i made the mistake of lots of red bull while building today

20110509_006.jpg

originally this was to show the scale but now all i can think of is "omnomnom. toast"

tomorrow the plan is to finish the top and bottom pieces and do a lot more work on the blade piece from the back, and if i have time the piece to fill the void in the hammer so i can attatch it to the pole.

on a related note the pole looks like it will be pvc plumbing pipe of varying thicknesses. Then i just need to get the card to start pepakura'ing up a helmet and either pep or foam build for the armour.... september will be a fun deadline

GUESS WHAT TODAY IS? lol jk.

@LongShot-X

it's kind of a big deal when you post in a person's thread, especially when you follow it. you are one of the most successful builders on this website, if not the very most, so yeah, it feels cool when you post in other's threads:D

This is looking like an awesome build! Your craftsmanship is excellent too; very clean lines. Keep up the great work, looking forward to seeing it finished! :)

This is looking like an awesome build! Your craftsmanship is excellent too; very clean lines. Keep up the great work, looking forward to seeing it finished! :)

clean lines...? i have spent half of today with epoxy putty covering where i cut too deep with a jigsaw on my corners lol although i am pleased my woodworking skills are improving, never really made anything out of wood before. also my usual tools are duct tape and a hammer (there is a running betting pool between friends and family as to which limb i lose first now i have graduated to all the dangerous power tools i have to hand borrowed from various people) so this is technically the most delicate stuff i have done in this scale.

anyway. today i have been doing more stuff, as i said lots of epoxy putty milliput stiff today. when i started to put the hammers sides together i have only access to a palm sander so can't angle it as close as i would like, so it was braced with a slight gap. these gaps have been filled with putty (and will be sanded... at some point this week i reckon).

also the part at the base of the hammer head where the shaft joins has had some more work, will be a solid as hell section to make sure i hanve plenty to drill into for the main handle (and yes forgot pics of this bit)

the main work i got done was on the blade, laminating two sheets of 9mm mdf together for a nice meaty cleaver section. when dry, out came the long suffering palm sander and the edges started to be bevelled

20110510_001.jpg

stabby corner bit

20110510_002.jpg

yes it is nearly a meter long. and 18mm thick. without detailing pieces

20110510_003.jpg

with one of the detailing pieces on top, it will have more detail work cut into this top piece to break up the huge side

these are all rough sandings, and they also need a little more glue to seal along the edges between the two sheets as it seems i did not add enough the first time

to be honest i wish i could have got more done today but i have most of these pieces in variying stages of being glued, most of them under a random selection of toolboxes, slabs and bricks to keep the pressure along them for an even join.

if i can (well... if something doesn't get in the way and the weather holds) i will do as much as i can this week and next, i reckon a good burst between now and then i could finish the main hammer... then it is just a case of mould it, cast it and paint it

**sidenote 11th may**

i am a large, tall, hairy rock person. i have learned 2 things so far today. 1) glue guns get very hot. painfully hot. especially when you drop it, try to grab it bare handed in the air and manage to only grab the metal nozzle end... and 2) long hair + glue guns = bad idea and embarassment.

Right. today i have managed to escape the bad weather that has been looming to do some more work.

first of all, main body done! the framework at least. now just got to wait for the putty around all the edges and joins to set so i can do yet more sanding. the inside of each joint i used a sealant gun with some no-more-nails stuff to make sure it isn't going to fall apart on me at some point.

20110511_001.jpg

finally the main body of the hammer head built

next came the section to mount the hammer to the handle. the void in the bottom of the back section will be a seperate piece for now. i have decided to make it a solid piece, not hollow like the rest of the hammer so i can drill it out and securely mount the pole without flexing or it popping loose

20110511_003.jpg

rough placement of the side of the handle mounting section

20110511_005.jpg

yup about here should do it

20110511_006.jpg

both sections on the hammer, not glued, just to get the guage of where i will put them

Also some more work has been done with the blade, it spent the night clamped to death as the wood had partially warped and not glued along the entire length, luckily now it is sealed, so more work has been done on that

20110511_007.jpg

blade detail piece glued in too

20110511_009.jpg

blade starting to look good

unfortunately just after i took this i managed to knock it off the bench and it crashed to the floor, the point at the bottom hitting first and cracking. luckily not catastrophic but still needs to be cut and resanded to cover it up again

Finally i have proof of my cludging ability. several people have commented on how clean and crisp the hammer looks, how the joints look etc. well these two next photos shall prove them wrong! :p most of the joints have had putty along which is setting as we speak, ready to be sanded to hide my god awful edging ability. having the side panels at an angle rather than perpendicular would have meant that the actual edges of the wood all needed to be shaved so when they meet the flat sections again they would have a perfect join. well... i lack that level of skill. and the palm sander had started to cry at the abuse, so it was a case of lots of glue, lots of bracing and lots of filler. but when it has a light sand (i am actually pretty good with filler so it is already pretty smooth) and a coat of primer you will never know :p

20110511_011.jpg

edges all smoothed and squared

20110511_010.jpg

the "WTF IS THAT PILE OF WHITE???" photo. this is made of many many sheets. this is to seal the edges together and cos i was getting way too annoyed with sanding all the mdf to perfectness. i know it is a cheat but it will save time and still be solid and smooth :p

right, finally i have a day where the weather was semi decent and i could get to the person't house i have hijacked as a workshop!

today i wanted to catch up, i have not done any of the hammer since last week and to be honest was getting restless. my other half was getting ready to kill me as i have thrown myself into the pepakura in a massive way while stuck at home (3 seperate arm pieces, first was out of proportion, second was wrong scale, third time hopefulyl lucky... also two shoulders and the helmet. the flat is covered with bits of paper and my fingers with glue gun burns).

first things first, i wanted to make a start on the haft, it being the only real piece i hadn't touched yet. i have made this a little freehand if i am honest, judging positions and lengths of the different sections to what feels right for me. the inner core tube is 40mm pvc plumbing pipe with the thicker sections in 55mm. to space them properly i cut some batons off a spare piece of mdf and hot glued them to the inner tube, then forced the outer one over, a good tight fit, held in place without glue on the outer layer. win! i ended up using a sealant gun loaded with a heavy duty putty/glue/snot stuff anyway to fill the gaps and seal it tight just in case anyway

20110520_002.jpg

the batons spacing the gap

20110520_003.jpg

just over 6 feet of plumbing pipe, bring it on mario...

next, the mounts to connect the blade to the haft. this is being made as two main pieces, an outer master piece to be detailed and cast so i can use it on each side, and the other is a heavy futy bit to connect the actual blade to the handle. the blade holder 18mm mdf (same as the main blade thickness) with 3mm facing bits so it partially encloses the back edge for a good solid fit. when this is cast i will be either pinning or using the sort of wooden pegs you get with flat pack furniture to help strengthen the bonds or sticking it together. i am working on the details for the outer cover piece, i am thinking of using plasticard (sheet styrene to a few people) for the actual detail layer as i can carve and cut into it with a sharp modelling knife way better than i can in mdf with my trusty jigsaw...

20110520_001.jpg

outer detail cover of the blade holder, will have more details in plasticard before casting for a pair of identical pieces to cover each side

20110520_007.jpg

the connecting box bit enclosing the back edge of the blade

20110520_006.jpg

all in a nice lined up happy way :D

i have also started on the pieces designed to hold the bottom edge of the blade, sort of flattened v shaped pieces (but forgot to take a closeup, they are visible on the shot of all together). thye are cur on one side to butt up flush to the blade, the other edge curved to join at the hammer. with the proportions i have made it all these bits sit just on the top of the first wider section of pipe on the handle.

FINALLY i have found a sound chip system that will not bankrupt me here and for only £18, about a quarter of previous quotes. i will be wiring a button on the haft later.

next, yet more puttying between the detail plates and where the edges join on the apex bits, drilled a hole for the handle and made the cap piece to go on the top of the hammer itself, so with this, once sanded out, the master for the hammer head will be DONE! :D the blade itself i need to just putty a couple of areas and that will be done too, the blade box is done, the lower blade support is done, the handle is half done. i need to finish detail on the blade box facia, design a guard to go on the lower section, finish the haft and do the electronics. at the rate i am going i will be ready for molding next week :D

20110520_004.jpg

it actually fits and holds

20110520_005.jpg

yup. tall

20110520_008.jpg

bits lined up to get a sense of position

20110520_011.jpg

yes. i am huge. very wide and 6'6 tall... and the hammer is taller than me :D

aaaargh! been to long since i did stuff. i have been doing too much work on the pep armour for the moment, combined with not being able to get up to my "workshop" and other things like music festivals getting in the way. however, this arrived this morning:

20110620_001.jpg

aka 5kg of resin and a bottle of MEKP catalyst, 2kg of RTV silicone and 2 bottles of THAT catalyst, loads of stirry/mixing stuff, 10 square meters of CSM fiberglass and a can of grey spray primer.

first bit sprayed, will do more when i can turn it later on...

20110620_002.jpg

Nice Scratch Build of the Hammer!! What are you going to use for the details on the handle?

i have access to a router i was planning on putting in some of the detail, got to find somewhere with a lathe i can access to do some connectors to hide the joins between the different pipe thicknesses. still filing and filling bits i am not happy with on the hammer head and the blade though, starting to nit-pick before the silicone molds :p got to mold and fiberglass it though, the weight is around 7kg for head and blade.... the handle will snap. i reckon with fiberglass around 3-4kg ish so a bit better. plus i can make a few copies then ;)

i have been busy recently playing with the resin, and after a long hunt i have found that the isopon p38 body filler is the closest i could get to bondo in the uk. on the upside, damn this stuff is good. easy to mix, sandable in half an hour, and takes a good smooth finish. the details on the blade and hammer have been filled with this stuff, the whole stuff sanded with 240 and 480 grit sandpaper on the palm sander, then given a good gelcoat of the resin. i WOULD have taken some pics but forgot to take my camera with me.... *headdesk*

on a related note, someone asked if i could show them how to do resin work so they came round, i told them to bring goggles and a respirator rated for organic particulates. they turned up in a woodworking dustmask. people, you got to remember, resin is DANGEROUS. it CAN kill if you don't get the breathmask. i was in full gear, including a bandana to keep my hair off my face, gloves and for fiberglass i even wrap my arms with clingfilm to keep them free of itching fibres... the pic below shows a SAFE working setup...

20110703_001.jpg

Next i have been prepping for siliconing. the hammer head has had a couple of coats of pva to help with release and just to make sure it pops out of the mold ok (paranoia much?). the actual mold making i stole an idea from a guy many people know as Volpin from Volpin props, the guy who actually made me want to make this in the first place :) instead of a cardboard mohawk around something he is casting he has switched to using mdf as it provides a stronger edge. two pieces were bolted together, a hole cut for the hammer head, then one side smoothed off with plastecine (i would have used clay but around here the prices are extortionate for what i needed). then it was a case of make up the silicone batch, pour over, make sure it was all covered and leave to set, hopefully this week i will be able to put another coat or two on it if my new job gives me any time :p

20110710_003.jpg

layer one - attack of the pepto bismol

20110710_001.jpg

more pinky goodness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back