First Builds: Nerf Assault Rifle and Foam Pistol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright I got the Prototype of the rifle all done yesterday! It looks a bit sloppy, but I mainly used this one to test out how to attach parts, where to cut, testing paint and how to refine parts to make it all work for the polished build. This one has a small blue LED in the HUD to light up the "counter" (graphic courtesy of Skylow). My polished build will have better looking parts, as well as a much more intricate electronics system, with working ammo counter and sound effects.

IMG_0516.jpg

IMG_0521.jpg

IMG_0520.jpg

IMG_0519.jpg

IMG_0518.jpg

IMG_0517.jpg

blah.jpg

Holy that looks amazing! I too have bought the same nerf gun and i plan on makng an assault rifle but i really don't know where to begin or how to go about making it.. Oh well i guess ill just have to wing it and see what happens! lol

Does anybody have some painting tips? I think what I did with the prototype looks ok, but I was thinking of something a bit more realistic for the final build.

While I wait for some parts to finish my polished assault rifle, i thought I'd pick up some foam and put a pistol together! So far just carving out the basic form.

Photoon2012-07-28at2012.jpg

Photoon2012-07-28at20122.jpg

Added some details, still need to figure out the grip. Once I paint this one, I'll probably try another that looks more polished.

Photoon2012-07-31at16192.jpg

Photoon2012-07-31at1619.jpg

Photoon2012-07-31at1618.jpg

Does anybody have some painting tips? I think what I did with the prototype looks ok, but I was thinking of something a bit more realistic for the final build.

One thing you can do is paint in layers like this:

Primer
Rust color
silver
final color of your choice

Then scuff it up here and there with sand paper and it will give the effect of paint scratched to bare metal and small rust spots too!

This trick is used a lot with various types of modelling and gives it that added touch of realism. You can also drybrush some black. silver or brown when your finished to give it a worn and used look.

Great looking work :)

I didn't want to make a whole new thread for this, so I'll just put it here. Does anybody know how I can contact Malechei? He's one of my friends I was in contact with for a while via twitter and another forum, but he seems to have gone dark or something. I've tried PM on here and other places but havent heard a response.

are you kidding me? :OOO i need to invent a machine to take ur skills and get it into my hands.. DAMN NICE WORK ... sorry for beeing so jelous ! :O

Respect dude!

Well I have the polished version finished, electronics and all. Still gotta get some pics up. I also finished the pistol, but gave it away at PAX before I took pics. Next project might be a foam DMR or a magnum out of wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back