Foam Halo costumes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, once I sand the edges a bit it should look better though. And if not I can just redo the lower chest area.

Did a bit more work on it tonight, (I just can't stop).
I decided before I went any further with the build I would round off the chest plate area, it did make it look a lot better.
I also started work on some of the finer detail.
dscf3274u.jpg

dscf3275wr.jpg

dscf3276zu.jpg

dscf3277y.jpg

dscf3278e.jpg

dscf3279v.jpg

dscf3280t.jpg

dscf3281n.jpg

dscf3282k.jpg

dscf3283d.jpg

dscf3284p.jpg

dscf3285p.jpg

Jimminy crickets.... your joined edges look perfect. You must have fingers of steel. Do you go through alot of blades, or were the ones I got just cheap? I will be watching for more....

Thank you very much, yeah luckily I have a high pain tolerance so pinching the edges together while still hot doesn't effect me. As for the blades I sharpen mine after several cuts using snadpaper, I find it resharpens them nicely.

Well, I have been busy doing some other foam work (first commission build) but whenever I can I have been doing more on my Master Chief costume. I decided to totally redo the helmet though. I did not like how many seams there where and figured I could make some of the pieces with less cuts and folds. I also thought off a new way to make some of the curved parts so that I wouldn't have to cut 'V' shapes out of the foam and then glue back together to get the curve shape, And I added a bit more detail to the helmet.
I also sealed it with latex house paint which not only seals the foam but gives it a good base to paint on.
Please let me know what you think.
716i.jpg

n81l.jpg

zmae.jpg

9lio.jpg

rlki.jpg

5dcd.jpg

xtb8.jpg

vr2m.jpg

r0k9.jpg

sn3j.jpg

48kf.jpg

34mn.jpg

k3ag.jpg

q1yc.jpg

Looking good! Whatever you did with the curves- came out great. And I really like the look of that visor, what kind is it? Idk it seems a little different than the ones I'm used to seeing on here.

That's awesome! The only thing is its just a little too grass-green for master chief's color. If you're going for accuracy, it should be a bit more tan-ish green, or olive. Just my 2 cents. It really does look amazing, man, keep it up!

Thanks guys, the visor I a motorcycle visor I got from Ebay, as for the colour I really appreciate the tip I will work on the colour a bit more, cheers.

All your work is great! I am very skeptical about doing a foam build for its quality and durability (but then again I've never done one)- but clearly you've shown how superb the end results can be! What do you think about its durability in relation to other media? Is it mostly geared toward cosplay? Are the glue seams susceptible to breakage under use? How do you think it would stand up to outdoor play, like running around during laser tag or paintball or airsoft. I do like how it can be flexible, which I imagine could be a real bonus.

I just love what you did! I'm very inspired to try something like it!! Thanks- Keep up the GREAT work!

Thank you.
Let me try and answer some of your questions.
Durability wise I think it will hold up very well, and the great thing is it is very easy to repair, After all the foam I use is Anti fatigue mats and are meant to be walked on all day.
The glue seams will hold very well, in fact when I first decided to use this format I did some testing and once the glue between two pieces has dried if you try to pull them apart you have to rip the foam as the glued areas will not come apart.
For running around playing paintball I don't know, I do not see any reason why it will not hold up, in fact I think the benefits (Light weight, flexible, easy to repair, cheap in cost) could out way the problems. However one thing that could be a concern is the foam doesn't breath, and there for you could get very hot inside. I have never been paintballing so I do not know the type of paint you use for it, I do not know if it could be washed off the foam.
I hope this helps.
Oh and another point to show its durability is a foam Ironman helmet I made has been to schools for 2 years and has been handled by over 100 children, Dropped a lot and not one seam has split or weakened.

Also another point (sorry just thought of it), I built my son a Master Chief costume for Halloween last year, he or his younger brother have worn it at least once every week since then, running around the house running outside you name it. And I have not had to fix anything on it.
Like I said I hope this helps. And thanks again to everyone for the kind words. I will be updating my thread with some pics in a few days, I have been working on the biceps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back