For The Beginners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psycurve

Jr Member
Hi,

So most people come to this Site / Forum and start looking on wondefull done Things here, and they thought: woohaa, yeah i also want this Armor or that Helmet, or anything like this.

Then they register and start reading (hopfully) the Stickys, like: how to use Pepakura, what is Bondo, how to resin or fiberglass.

Some of us could handle the stuff explained in the Stickys some not, this is a little help for the lost ones.

So first of all, have all your material u needed for starting with your own Armor. -> U will find Stickys for that.

Than please don`t run straight for a perfect Helmet or Armor Plate!!

Its better to start smaller:

For Example

1. Print out some easy Pepakura stuff, it don`t has to be Halo stuff, a little Figure would do it!

2. Cut out and glue this together, so u get a feeling for how Pepakura works, whats best for folds, what glue does it etc. etc.

3. Cut the little Figure in two Halfs.

4. So now we come to the resin stage, how to use it is explained in a Sticky.Than go out and resin the two Halfs of the Figure, do it two Times. Even here u can

get a good feeling for that stuff, without bursting any HD Pepakura File or anything like that.

5. Fiberglass your Figure like its explained in the Tutorials, again if anything wents wrong, no problem its just a liitle Figure, no Stuff u spend ours for :)

6. So now we come to Bondo again ther is a Sticky for that.Here u can work with that stuff and get the right feeling for carving, spoting etc. etc.

7. It`s sanding time, or the use of a Dremel.

8. if u like u could colour your little Figure or not ;)

So thats for all of u,if u do it like i have done it, it could save u many times of frustration, because spending ours for a Pepakura File is not the Problem, but destroy it, without having a feeling for the Materials is really bad, and nobody haves fun to do 3-4 Times te same Pepakura Model.

So i hope that helps u a little

If anybody has done somthing like that here before, sorry , move it away or throw it out :)

Psycurve

Ps. I hope that is clear enough for your understanding

Psycurve, awesome tips for beginners with fiberglass and pep. Personally, the first pep model I did was the very simple Flame Grenade design off the pep index. It's simple to put together, not too many folds, and doesn't take long from start to finish. For any beginners who haven't stumbled upon the index yet it's here. The plasma grenade is only a 3 page pep build, and the flame grenade is as well. The flame is a bit more detailed. I really suggest starting with the plasma, then going to flame. It gives you a perfect understanding of pep and fiberglass, doesn't ruin hours of your time, and you end up with two awesome props at the end of it all.

Hog Man said:
Psycurve, awesome tips for beginners with fiberglass and pep. Personally, the first pep model I did was the very simple Flame Grenade design off the pep index. It's simple to put together, not too many folds, and doesn't take long from start to finish. For any beginners who haven't stumbled upon the index yet it's here. The plasma grenade is only a 3 page pep build, and the flame grenade is as well. The flame is a bit more detailed. I really suggest starting with the plasma, then going to flame. It gives you a perfect understanding of pep and fiberglass, doesn't ruin hours of your time, and you end up with two awesome props at the end of it all.

thanks mate.

Psy

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing I feel that prevents a lot of people from finishing anything here is that they start off too big and complicated. If you are new to building any kind of costume in particular with pepakura the last thing you should be doing is to jump right in by making a HD MK6 helm. Yes the process is not too complicated but it is rather involved and I am sure at times all of the small things you have to do can seem rather daunting.

So yeah I have to say that I agree with what you said in the first post start small to get a feel for things. Not just for the materials but what techniques result in what. Not everyone can do the same things to the same ability. And it is much better to make a mistake on a little pep car that you did in five minutes then it is to mess up the helm you spent five days on.

P32 said:
One thing I feel that prevents a lot of people from finishing anything here is that they start off too big and complicated. If you are new to building any kind of costume in particular with pepakura the last thing you should be doing is to jump right in by making a HD MK6 helm. Yes the process is not too complicated but it is rather involved and I am sure at times all of the small things you have to do can seem rather daunting.

So yeah I have to say that I agree with what you said in the first post start small to get a feel for things. Not just for the materials but what techniques result in what. Not everyone can do the same things to the same ability. And it is much better to make a mistake on a little pep car that you did in five minutes then it is to mess up the helm you spent five days on.

exactly what i mean, shouldn`t every beginner read this, for a better understanding?? just an idea

Psy

Last edited by a moderator:
Exacttly my point. I'm with both P32 and Psy on this one. I'm very familiar with fiberglass work and Pep, and still for my own sanity I started small. I was familiar with pep as I'd built very small things, such as the predator mask with it, and I've done fiberglass ever since getting my first car. (Those mailboxes are a doozy) It's a matter of mixing the two. When I first got into costuming I took quite a bit of time to put anything together, but the slow practice was priceless... Like most things are in the eyes of matercard. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back