Got The Armor But Need A Gun, And Fast?

Status
Not open for further replies.

razionhellgate

Look, we all know how much it sucks to see our beloved games and hobbies ripped off and cheapened before our eyes, but this time its not so bad: I present to you the Quick and dirty Halo 3 Assault Rifle

First off, go to Toys 'R Us, the only place you can buy it... and ask for the "action heros" area. It will look like this:

41cldKLq2TL_SS500_.jpg

Take a deep breath... make your purchase and start looking for these other things you need if you don't already have them.

1 Professional Quality Filter Mask to prevent cancer... kind of a good idea if you ask me

P1010081.jpg

1 Can of black automotive black vinyl dye. I used "plasti-kote flat black Vinyl Color". Now a quick lesson, spray paint covers your plastics, vinyl dye chemically changes the plastic making the color PERMANENT so be very careful.

P1010078.jpg

1 set of small phillips screwdrivers and a pair of pliers to help grip the screw drivers and give you more torque.

For the painting portion I used a Games Workshop Tank brush and the two colors "codex grey" and "boltgun metal" but any dark gray and metal paint (must have metal in it to get the look you want) will work for this.

P1010076.jpg

First disassemble the toy gun by removing the screws.

P1010078-1.jpg

Take the orange piece and throw it away... or keep it for a nifty looking piece of Warhammer 40K terrain if you want. ;)

P1010077-1.jpg

Then separate the trigger, trigger spring( be careful not to lose it!) the battery cover and the hand grip piece. Paint them all separately and take your time with the Vinyl Dye, IF YOU TOUCH IT BEFORE ITS DRY IT WILL WARP AND LEAVE YOUR FINGER PRINT IN THE PLASTIC. Bold helps highlight the important stuff... ahem... moving on

P1010076-1.jpg

Then paint the 2 gun shell halves and give it a couple coats. Then grab your brush and dip it in the metal paint, grab a cardboard box or paper towel and get most of the paint off the brush, then slowly apply the light paint over the top area of the gun. This is called "dry brushing" and there are many good tutorials online of how to do this well. Then dry brush the gray areas and assemble your gun, careful though, that spring is tricky!

P1010079.jpg

P1010080.jpg

I disconnected the speaker so i could use the flashlight at night by holding the trigger without making the "pew pew" laser sounds it makes.

I know the front barrel is missing but can easily be fixed by gluing some PVC in the front and painting that also, its raining hard outside and i'm out of PVC but i wanted to post this before tomorrow to help make that Halo Costume even better

Let me know what you think!

-Razion Hellgate

how big are those things anyways? are they anywhere near the actual AR size?
Looks good though! nice painting!
yay! a fellow GW painter! drybrushing is the bomb!

I do believe there is a few people selling these as finished rifles on Ebay... Would be a sad day to receive one at the full price of a normal resin high detail Rifle.

For a low cost alternative..they are nice.

Well the rifle is is pretty small, but I think this is sticky worthy. It would be a great alternative to a very labor intensive cardboard model. And this would have major last minute noob appeal. Could someone tell adam to take a look at this? But overall this is great Hellgate! Awesome first thread.

I would imagine with a little creativity... some wood and shop tools this thing could extend out a bit with little effort. Be a little closer.

This was a VERY very interesting project, and I am glad to see you do something inexpensive and so original! Very very cool project brother!

muffinman868 said:
very nice very nice.

any chance this could become a mauler?

product1_8180.jpg

its like 20 bucks at toys r us

dude, that's a mauler and a half!

Last edited by a moderator:
me and a freind have been eyeballin one of those as a mauler for a few months if we can mod one well let you know the only problem we had looking at it, was the front cause its big and stocky

Just my luck.. Toys R Us doesn't have any more.. Lol. Looks like its pep for me. Great find though. I'll bet those guys on ebay selling them for $100 + are pretty happy with themselves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back