H165 Forward Observer Module "Laser Designator"

CrimsonViper97

Member DIN
S097
After Planet Comic Con in Kansas City this year I was feeling very inspired by all the awesome work people had on display at our booth. Throughout the car ride back to Illinois, one item kept popping into my head: the Reach laser designator. At the time I was in the planning phases of the Infinite marine that I am now building, and it just seemed like the perfect piece of kit; it's compact and could hang off of a belt or on a pack, and the interactivity of it would cater nicely to my interest in electronics.

PXL_20230318_142629195.jpg

Above: 405th Midwest booth, Kansas City Planet Comic Con

So there's the scope of the project: Laser designator which has all of the effects you see in game, plus a couple more for added neatness factor. I purchased STL files from Skookum Props, operated by our favorite discord moderator TurboCharizard (*cough* *cough* Skookum Props) and got to printing.

I got about halfway through printing some parts when I started to have printer troubles... and that's where things sat for a good 6 months.

PXL_20230331_131944585.jpg

Until now!

I had a great time at Cleveland Gaming Classic and have returned with another burst of creative energy! I have two robot friends now (twice the print, double the prop) and some electronics I stole from an old RC spy car, so you know this is going to be a good time!

PXL_20230927_003128637.jpg
PXL_20230927_005230346.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20230324_024156491.jpg
    PXL_20230324_024156491.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 61
Great project! I can't remember if the controller rumbles while using the designator. I've found that scavenging rumble motors from dead controllers and adding them to my electronic props adds great 'feel' to a visual effects-only prop.
Redshirt

I actually have a bag I ordered a while back on Amazon, but I have yet to use them. I also don't recall whether the controller vibrates or not. I believe some research is in order.

It's a great prop! A little big at 1:1, but I still like it. I'm suprised I never dropped a finished photo in my build thread! Con rush on the paint job was probably the explination.

I added spinny knobs and a laserpoint/flashlight. I wanted to make the screen light up, but I never got that far.

VanFan hanumaru 2 square.jpg

PerniciousDuke I'm planning to use a knob with a built in switch for power/audio volume. It is quite large, but I'm planning to use it with a marine so the size might make sense?

Edit: also, yours looks great Duke!

This thread is more than 7 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back