Halloween Prop

Status
Not open for further replies.

sid485

So, my initial idea was to make some prop electronic looking bits inspired by the Pip-Boy 3000 from Fallout for my Halloween costume, The Mad Scientist. After playing around with a few ideas I decided to salvage some old electronics for buttons, screens, etc. and cut up some snack boxes and see what I could put together.

016.jpg

So I started with a basic box shape that would contour to my arm.

012.jpg

More or less what I hoped it would look like - buttons, dial, screen... but still not functional.

20091042.jpg

I then had the idea to make something similar that would be basically a shell for my 30g Zune. I salvaged some nice buttons from a busted universal remote.

002.jpg

Then I made a trace of the Zune face, following the screen and locating the buttons for reference.

20091022.jpg

Transfered the above reference to a bit of card stock, traced around where I wanted the buttons, cut that out. Traced around the Zune perimiter and sides, then cut that out.

20091039.jpg

Put together and painted with light gray acrylic paint, then buttonised.

20091041.jpg

20091040.jpg

As you can see, it's a snug fit. The unit is fully functional with the new buttons, and there's even a hole for the sound jack.

Now all that's missing is the backing, and figuring out some kind of rigging system to attach it to my arm and perhaps some logo stenciling and a nice gloss coat. I was also considering making a more complex pep design to jazz it up a bit.

Input, comments, criticism, funny anecdotes, or general ramblings would be highly appreciated.

Fire said:
what is it?

A pip-boy is pretty much a portable little computer that wraps around the persons arm. Its from Bethesda's Fallout 3. I dont think they ever released that game in australia because of all the drug references.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I've been goofing around with a few ideas to jazz things up a bit, here's what I came up with:

003.jpg

Just a raised edge for a little flair. Sides were too far in and thusly covered the buttons and the bottom was too close.

006.jpg

Tweaked things a bit, but clearly went too far width-wise. Still need to adjust the length.

zune_test3.jpg

Used Paintshop Pro to make a nifty image so I can make adjustments easier. This is MkIII, so we'll see how it goes.

zune_mk4.jpg

So this is the final printable I'm working with, made to fit my Zune device.

20091020_9.jpg

Put together, then applied some quick setting resin from a syringe-type deal I bought. As you can see it was too thick and set too quickly to work with, so I ended up with some texture.

20091020_5.jpg

A second run for my hopefully final version, waiting for daylight to be resined with some proper stuff.

Finished! So, after a bit of trial and error I've worked out most of the bugs and finished my unit.

005.jpg

006-1.jpg

007.jpg

013.jpg

Had to use clear tape to secure the back to the front, my initial idea was simple squares of velcro. I didn't take the space of it into account, so I winged it.

All in all this has been a learning experience, and I'll hopefully be better prepared to tackle a pep of T-46B helmet from Fallout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back