Halo Reach M6B CNC build

Status
Not open for further replies.

spartanx360

hi,

i'm going to tell about my CNC build of the magnum from halo reach.

first thing that I did was open an hi-res pepakura of the M6B.
I exported it to an .obj where I could open it in CUT3D
CUT3d-1.png

I sliced the magnum in 2 halfs, because my machine can only do 1 side at a time.
From there I created a path for the cnc machine to cut out the M6B.
CUT3d2.png

Some progress from the cnc machine
IMG_0118.jpg

IMG_0111.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

IMG_0122.jpg

IMG_0124.jpg

IMG_0128.jpg

it's a hard foam specially made for cnc freesmachines. its hard but also soft, so you can sand it with your finger, and the drill smoothly goes trough it, even on the lowest stand

update

nearly finished

after I sanded the foam a little bit. I began to warm up the thermoplastic machine
IMG_0131.jpg

it has a 30 Min warm up, then I took a sheet of 2 mm thick plastic.
IMG_0134.jpg

IMG_0135.jpg

when the plastic began to be more flexible, I pushed the foam up and sucked out all the vacuum between it. now we have 2 perfect halfs.
IMG_0136.jpg

IMG_0138.jpg

IMG_0139.jpg

IMG_0140.jpg

after cutting all the excess plastic it was time to sand it.
IMG_0142.jpg

then I glued the 2 halfs toghether and painted it with a spray bondo, for protection and its easyer to paint over it.
IMG_0145.jpg

after painting I made it shiny and waterproof with a "carbon vernis" (don't know the english word :p)

the finished M6B will follow later

Wow that turned out really nice Spartanx! I downloaded a trial version of Vectric Cut3D about two years ago for my home made CNC machine which I still need to finish. I like the fact that you can CNC with 1" inch layers at a time for a model that is over 5" high like a helmet per se. I can't wait to try this it out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back