Halo: The Series Season 2 Discussion Thread

Cadet

Executive Officer
Division Staff
Community Staff
Member DIN
S111
The official Season Two teaser premiered at CCXP 2023, along with the announcement that new episodes will premiere on February 8th on Paramount Plus.

Trailer can be viewed here:

Halo Waypoint's "Silver Debrief" on the reveal of Season 2 can be found here:

Some interesting tdbits from the Waypoint Article:
-Season 2 will take place six months after the end of Season 1.
-Joseph Morgan is confirmed to be playing Colonel Ackerson.
-Season Two also has a new showrunner and head writer, David Wiener.

Noticed this in about 3 frames... Not Cortana so.... "The Weapon"?
Then again... There was a de-aged Capt.Keyes so clearly there's at least one flashback scene. Maybe some insights into the past... early days of the Spartan program and earlier versions of the Cortana system?

Snag_18ced088.png

It appears to be the same outfit or uniform that Cortana had in Season 1 of the Show, with a different Haircut and a more pronounced blue tinge. Maybe a little more youthful in appearance.
Considering Cortana's model had changes in her hair, facial structure, and coloration from game to game, I bet it's just going to be the same Cortana from Season 1 just a different render.

I am interested to see how the fall of Reach plays out. Considering Bungie themselves kept retconning and tweaking the timeline and involved parties until they had at least 3 different versions of how it happened, I wonder which style of the Battle they'll go with.

I'm still not sure how I feel about getting a season 2 of this. Watched the whole 1st season knowing how much people hated it, and that it was its own story seperated from the canon. Honestly didnt care for it much. Am I still gonna watch season 2 even through I thought the first was trash? Yes, yes I am

Considering Bungie themselves kept retconning and tweaking the timeline and involved parties until they had at least 3 different versions of how it happened, I wonder which style of the Battle they'll go with.
Context: I came to Halo from the series and have only scratched the surface of playing the games. So that makes me part of that demographic they hoped to acquire: _From_ show, _To_ game.

I totally get how the game people have issues with changes made because of the change in platform. But then don't we all get upset when books are changed to become shows or movies? I loved The Expanse novels but for the show they changed (and merged) characters... story arcs alter... and so on. Being and old guy now that grew up on Star Trek from the start I share a lot of those same feelings watching that franchise get changed with alternate timelines and shows like Discovery that just tore down canon in favor of adjenda. So I get it. But I also get the management decsions due to the nature of the change in platform. In the game every player is the M.C. - White, color, English, Asian - you're *being* him. In a show you're *watching* him. There's got to be some changes for that. And coming on the heals of The Mandalorian if they did a proper _never takes the helmet off_ you just look like copy cats to a huge section of audience you're trying to win over.

At the same time, bad story writing is just bad story writing. Even as a newcomer to the franchise the whole Kwan Ha stuff was just wasted time and budget. You can get away with that if its 3 show-hours total out of a 22 episode season. But the same 3 hours in a 8 hour season is a big percentage of your air time for absolutely nothing. If you edit the show into a Madrigal-free edition it gets better, not worse and the only bits of value you loose are Soran-066 that you could incorporate in other ways.

And there's plenty of shows out there that had weak first seasons. Star Trek TNG is a good example of a really weak first season with several strong seasons after and spawned multiple good spin off shows that continues to extend the franchise to this day

But I think Cadet points out something important: Even in the accepted Halo game/book canon there's still inconsistencies and everyone accepts and moves past even if its begrudgingly. Just one guy's opinion, but I've gotten used to accepting and mentally retconning the bad out of most any show any more. Seems they all have something or another we'd all leave out or change. There's compromise every time you have a dozen groups from production to IP holder to distributor all wanting to influence the final product for their own agenda. Maybe its to sell more toys, maybe to gain more subscribers, maybe to influence people back to the game, maybe to keep a given director or show-runner happy... That's just the world of getting these shows made. People on set and in production made compromises to get the show off the ground - so I don't mind some compromising in my rigidity of what I'll find acceptable in the first couple seasons while they find their footing; in the hopes a couple wobbly years can lead to 10 more robust seasons.

Personally im excited for it. Im not one to care about the writing or cgi, i just like everything halo. Its s a completely different universe which i think gives a lot of room to make things happen that we would have never seen in the main timeline, or change some of the events to play them out different.

Things I would personally like to see since we get the fall of reach are things like the Arbiter making an appearance as a bad guy leading the attack, Silver timelines version of Noble team or at least Jorge, even if just a quick scene or reference. And this wouldn't happen but it would be really neat to get a red vs blue cameo or easter egg in there somewhere

I'm actually pretty excited for the new season. I liked the first season quite a bit, even though I had to keep reminding myself that it isn't canon to the main story. I thought all of the actors did a pretty good job in their roles and don't have any complaints aside from the lack of focus the show seemed to have. But at the end of the day, it's basically just content set in the Halo universe which I am always hyped for. Maybe this season we'll get less Master Cheeks and more Master Chief :lol:

I dont know. As a lore fan I tried to accept the silver timeline. The first season looked really nice in my opinion. No questions there. But the desicions they made for the story (and a broken BluRay) made me quit watching it. Why did they remove some of the most iconic characters and removed the traits of existing ones. Its not the Halo I fell in love to :( But im Excited to see the cinematic material of the 2nd season.

I really enjoyed the first season and am excited for season 2.
I agree with Sgt saint though about how some shows have a rough first season and end up being very good. I also agree that I could do without kwan ha but Soren is awesome. I thought they were going to set kwan ha up as a reluctant recruit to the spartan program. Like she was so anti-UNSC but after the covenant destroyed her home she could have had a change of heart and gone into spartan training looking for revenge. She could have been inspired by the heroics of the Spartans instead of aggressively confrontational. They could have done that and still done her same story and it would have made the audience root for her and actually not want John to kill her.. anyway that's first season stuff and this thread is supposed to be about season 2.

I hope to see some ODSTs get involved and I'm excited to see more covenant war action! I think the show is well done and I'm looking forward to more. I like to look at stuff like this as if I was listening to someone tell me a bedtime story. Like each installment or story told in the universe is slightly different and has some inconsistencies because that's how fables work - different story tellers might embellish different things. With this approach you can forgive a lot of the canon issues and inconsistencies because it's not meant to be a literal depiction of what happened, but rather an exciting myth version of what happened. Like, 300 is an excellent movie but wildly inaccurate depiction of how that battle went down. Same idea- enjoy the story and stop worrying about if it's perfectly "historically" accurate.

I like to look at stuff like this as if I was listening to someone tell me a bedtime story. Like each installment or story told in the universe is slightly different and has some inconsistencies because that's how fables work - different story tellers might embellish different things. With this approach you can forgive a lot of the canon issues and inconsistencies because it's not meant to be a literal depiction of what happened, but rather an exciting myth version of what happened.
Thats a really nice way to look at it!

Got to say that i wasn't a fan at first. Maybe i went along with the hate-train to easily and have it cloud my own judgement. I saw the Tested videos where Adam took a look at the suits and helmets for the show, they looked great. And after reading through some of these responses (Looking at Sgtaint mostly) I might give it a try with an open mind. See how it pans out.

Also wanted to add that the second season trailer looked pretty awesome all in all

I will admit, I was not the biggest fan of Season 1. My primary issue was not them showing Chief’s face, or the rest of his body. Logically, In Universe, John would not have his helmet on literally all of the time, even in the novels the SPARTANs often have their helmets off quite frequently especially in the barracks amongst themselves, and Major Silva has John take off his helmet to give him his attempted dressing down about the superiority of the ODSTs and the alleged failures of the SPARTAN program during The Flood. So that didn’t bug me. Nor did a more conversational and fleshed out John. Again, in the Novels he can be much more verbose than the games and expresses much more personality.

No, what bugged me the most was the show leaned into so many Tropes that the original novels and games avoided.

I read The Fall of Reach back in 2001 before even playing CE, and just enjoyed it is as a great piece of Military Science Fiction. To me, it was a breath of fresh air, especially considering that I was coming from the Star Wars fandom, where despite the now rose colored glasses, revisionist history of the Old EU, it was a Universe that was full of retreads of the same story beats and it never strayed from the basic Sci Fi clichés and Tropes.

So, to have this Universe with these Soldiers who were just consummate professionals, who were dedicated to their cause through loyalty to each, their commanders, their beliefs, it was great. In like virtually every other Sci Fi world, whenever you had a story of super professional soldiers, they almost always had to be brainwashed, or had fake memories implanted, or their minds wiped, had been lied to, manipulated, or misled, and they almost always rebelled, defected, turned on their military, lashed out from anger for their “Stolen lives” or whatever cliché, and those that did not defect, rebel, or turn on their leaders were the "Bad guys."

Sure, you could say in a sense the SPARTANs were “brainwashed" because they entered Training at the age of six, and so, the military was all they knew by the time reached maturity, but, there are martial cultures in our own History, the historical Spartans as the most obvious example, who begin their training at the same age or only a little older. But, regardless, this was different than most other Sci Fi I had read. It felt more real. Like, yeah, of course if you take a kid from his parents at age 6 and raise him to be a soldier, he’s going to be good at it, and dedicated and loyal. Sure, there were some, like Soren, who rebelled and wanted out, but that was the extreme minority, not the majority, like how it goes in pretty much every other franchise. It was even acknowledged that the SPARTANs knew they were taken from their families. No attempt was made to hide that from them or alter their minds or memories to make them “more loyal” it was just the camaraderie and training took the place of their family and they stayed for that and because they grew to believe in each other and their duty.

So I was disappointed that the show felt like it had to go down that well trod path of erased memories, emotional suppression pellets, and rebellion and hatred of Dr. Halsey, but that is what people expect from a story like this. There's a reason it is the trope and the cliché.

Of course, even 343i could not help themselves from retconning the initial version of the SPARTANs feelings towards their training and Halsey and her relationship with them. Original Halsey cared about the SPARTANs, too much, much more than she initially wanted to or expected to as a scientist. Back in the original story when the SPARTANs all wore identical armor with no external markings, only Halsey could tell them apart without a HUD enabled FoF tag, and always called them by their first name, never their number. Halsey tried to kidnap Kelly to save her from the war, because Halsey had become afraid that there was no victory against the Covenant and she did not want her remaining SPARTANs dying in what was beginning to feel like a lost cause. Now 343I depicts Halsey as more interested in Scientific advancements and obsessed with Forerunner artifacts, caring more about her advancements than even the SPARTANs, and the majority of the remaining SPARTAN II and IIIs as bitter and resentful toward Halsey (which side note, Karen Traviss having Lucy hate Halsey so much it breaks her traumatic muteness to scream and rage at Halsey on the Shield World is just, nonsensical, as Hasley had nothing to do with the IIIs and Lucy. The IIIs were all Akerson and Halsey did not even really know about them, depending on what stage of the Retcon we are in.) It’s also funny to me that 343 now also makes everyone in the UNSC and ONI disgusted and angry at Halsey for her methods with the IIs, primarily for the abduction and replacement with Flash Clones and the experimental medical procedures that crippled or killed anywhere from half to 2/3s again dependent on which phase of the retcon, when ONI was directly involved, supportive, and complicit with every step of the program. It’s not like Halsey abducted 150 kids and grew 150 flash clones all on her own without any sort of support staff or UNSC scientific facilities.

Long way to say, that everything I disliked about the show, story wise, has now pretty much already been done by 343 or is in the process of being done by 343, I guess except for John having canonical intercourse.

I also have to wonder about why do we accept some Franchises and Universes being constantly rebooted, reimagined, retold, sometimes with two or more versions going at the same time, like GI Joe, Transformers, Gundam, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Terminator, but is it such an issue when some other Franchises get remakes, reboots, or new versions. Considering even before Bungie left and 343 took over, the Halo Universe was in a constant state of retcon and story corrections, things like the time line for the Fall of Reach up to big things like the intended endings of Halo 2 and 3 explicitly saying Humans were descendants of Forerunners, not a sperate species, and even the nature, actions, and ideology of the Forerunners changing constantly, I honestly do not have an issue with a new version of Halo. Even Bungie couldn’t keep their story straight.

So, are there story beats or characterizations I would change? Sure, but even in some of my favorite movies and shows, media I really enjoy, I could still nit pick and have a different opinion on how it should have been done, or how some dialogue here or there could have made the story better, but that is just in my opinion.

I’m interested to see where the story goes, how they handle the fall of Reach, if we see other SPARTAN IIs, if Akerson’s appearance means we’ll get IIIs and if they will be MIRAGE/SPI or maybe even Silver’s Version of Noble Team, and if we end with a cliff hanger of the Pillar of Autumn’s jump that lands them at Threshold and Alpha Halo.

I really enjoyed the first season and am excited for season 2.
I agree with Sgt saint though about how some shows have a rough first season and end up being very good. I also agree that I could do without kwan ha but Soren is awesome. I thought they were going to set kwan ha up as a reluctant recruit to the spartan program. Like she was so anti-UNSC but after the covenant destroyed her home she could have had a change of heart and gone into spartan training looking for revenge. She could have been inspired by the heroics of the Spartans instead of aggressively confrontational. They could have done that and still done her same story and it would have made the audience root for her and actually not want John to kill her.. anyway that's first season stuff and this thread is supposed to be about season 2.

I hope to see some ODSTs get involved and I'm excited to see more covenant war action! I think the show is well done and I'm looking forward to more. I like to look at stuff like this as if I was listening to someone tell me a bedtime story. Like each installment or story told in the universe is slightly different and has some inconsistencies because that's how fables work - different story tellers might embellish different things. With this approach you can forgive a lot of the canon issues and inconsistencies because it's not meant to be a literal depiction of what happened, but rather an exciting myth version of what happened. Like, 300 is an excellent movie but wildly inaccurate depiction of how that battle went down. Same idea- enjoy the story and stop worrying about if it's perfectly "historically" accurate.
I liked what I saw of season 1, but haven't finished it yet because I'm just bad at keeping up with shows. I think I finished episode 5? I really liked how they used Soren in the show! Halo Evolutions is one of two Halo books I've read, so I think it's really cool to see a different take where that character gets more screen time.

Thanks to TurboCharizard , I mean Rock Lobbster , for providing the list of Season 2's Episode Titles on Discord:
1. Sanctuary
2. Sword
3. Visegrad
4. Reach
5. Aleria
6. Onyx
7. Thermopylae
8. Halo.

Possible connections and conjecture:
Sanctuary is a multiplayer map featuring Forerunner ruins.
Sword is most likely a reference to ONI's Sword Base on Reach.
Visegrad is the location of the Visegrad relay, site of the first mission of Reach where Noble Team investigates the communication disruption.
Aleria was an impoverished outer colony world that was referenced a handful of times but never really featured predominantly in any media.
Onyx was the training ground of the IIIs, and unknowingly a Forerunner Shield World.
Thermopylae obviously a reference to the last stand of the 300 Historical Spartans, and their allies, against the Persian Empire. Ghosts of Onyx referenced this battle multiple times by having the IIIs be organized into Companies of 300 and then sent on suicide battles where all 300 (or 298 in Beta Company) died. So, for Season 2 this could be reference to the suicide missions of the IIIs in GoO or just a more general reference to the "last stand" of the SPARTANs on Reach.
Halo seems to indicate that the season will end with Pillar of Autumn jumping from Reach and ending up at Threshold and Alpha Halo.

Last edited:
Thanks to TurboCharizard , I mean Rock Lobbster , for providing the list of Season 2's Episode Titles on Discord:
1. Sanctuary
2. Sword
3. Visegrad
4. Reach
5. Aleria
6. Onyx
7. Thermopylae
8. Halo.

Possible connections and conjecture:
Sanctuary is a multiplayer map featuring Forerunner ruins.
Sword is most likely a reference to ONI's Sword Base on Reach.
Visegrad is the location of the Visegrad relay, site of the first mission of Reach where Noble Team investigates the communication disruption.
Aleria was an impoverished outer colony world that was referenced a handful of times but never really featured predominantly in any media.
Onyx was the training ground of the IIIs, and unknowingly a Forerunner Shield World.
Thermopylae obviously a reference to the last stand of the 300 Historical Spartans, and their allies, against the Persian Empire. Ghosts of Onyx referenced this battle multiple times by having the IIIs be organized into Companies of 300 and then sent on suicide battles where all 300 (or 298 in Beta Company) died. So, for Season 2 this could be reference to the suicide missions of the IIIs in GoO or just a more general reference to the "last stand" of the SPARTANs on Reach.
Halo seems to indicate that the season will end with Pillar of Autumn jumping from Reach and ending up at Threshold and Alpha Halo.
With Sword and Visegrad it'd be cool to see if they blend elements from the game Reach and elements from the books into this new timeline. I'd be very excited to see Sword Base if it gets used!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back