Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Status
Not open for further replies.
thatdecade said:
Second the vote for a LED driver. Basically a more complex shift register, but you can control it with a two wires (chip enable and serial wires). The only problem is you may have to deal with a sm package.

Yeah, I've actually sourced a few of these: Phillips 4794. I'll probably just end up holding onto the shift regs for another project.

What do you mean by "sm package"? I'm not familiar with that abbreviation...

Last edited by a moderator:
Surface mount is a IC package type, like DIP, but you don't need any holes in the pcb. Stick to your plan, SMCs are not very good to work with, and transistors will do the job.

Every update on this project is a real pleasure to watch ^^

TF_Productions said:
Surface mount is a IC package type, like DIP, but you don't need any holes in the pcb. Stick to your plan, SMCs are not very good to work with, and transistors will do the job.

Every update on this project is a real pleasure to watch ^^

Ah, thanks for the clarification. When I ordered the ICs, I actually managed to track down DIP, through-hole mount chips. Both the LED driver and the Shift Regs I ordered were this method mostly because of how I'll be soldering the boards, and I know how (im)precise my soldering can be sometimes...

Hoping to get some more work done on this helmet this weekend, employing Rube's method of using foam tape & bondo to get a nice, crisp edge. Ear plates should be in n Monday, and then I can start the oh-so-lovely process of wetsanding.

My client also tossed me a new challenge: using a line-in channel on the Arduino to make a new lighting effect powered by music. My plan right now is to run a small audio amp as an analog input and convert the incoming signal into a kind of faux-VU meter. Theres plans for both a 3mm headphone jack input (ipod or such) and a microphone input (ambient music.) I need to get back to making new schematics.

Small update:

A friend with a CNC router is cutting some bits for me. The "ear" pieces have these weird recessed circuitboard looking things in them. I could try my hand at dremel-carving these, but I thought this was a better route. They're not 100% perfect, but it gives me a good base to start with. One set has 1/8" lines and the other is 3/16" This gives me some flexibility when I see the final pieces as to which I decide to go with.

We tried cutting masonite first, but that had a lot of chipout, same thing with MDF. I guess the bits are just too coarse or spin too slowly. In any event, eventually we decided on foam. These pieces will be resin-cast and then the resin will be cleaned up for the final helmet mold.

3439532638_afa7d56705_o.jpg

More coming soon, stay tuned...

This is absolutely fantastic! I'm taking a basic electronics class (with the secret intention of making one of these helmets eventually) and seeing the specifics and detailed prints of your wiring on top of the beautiful looking master you've got going has made my head implode.
What I think I like the most is how you're creating the helm custom in that you're using the newer design, but incorporating the older LED visor with the color bars. I can't wait to see more.

Nirvana said:
what exactly is the GUY Helmet from and...
--
MY GOD, ITS INFECTED.

This is going to be the end result with regard to the shape. This is the post-2004 helmet design:
daft-punk-helmet.jpg

Which is slightly narrower on the bottom and has a bit cleaner lines than the pre-2004 one:
casques_daft_punk1.jpg

Finished, mine will have the lines and shape of the current model, with some of the illumination capabilities of the older version (mine won't have the center LED array for a multitude of reasons...) As best as I can can tell with the research I've done, the pre-2004 helmets had several variants with regard to different illumination variants and power supplies. I don't know why the current models have not been given the illumination treatment of the old ones, but oh well. Mine will light up and be pretty.

As for the lump of infectious radiation that once adorned my workdesk... well, you gotta start somewhere.

I honestly can't wait to see what this'll look like. I'm a huge fan of daft punk myself. You should make a thomas helmet next.

Daft Punk & EVA helm. Coincedence?
3442221507_7fe77be1fb.jpg
3442221707_c19635edaf.jpg

Not really relavent, but I thought it was funny. Probably already been brought up. The Daft Punk helm is coming along nicely, can't wait to see the finished product!

carpathiavh99 said:
Daft Punk & EVA helm. Coincedence?
3442221507_7fe77be1fb.jpg
3442221707_c19635edaf.jpg

Not really relavent, but I thought it was funny. Probably already been brought up. The Daft Punk helm is coming along nicely, can't wait to see the finished product!
I was thinking the same, when I first seen a daft punk helm someone made before I thought it was an eva.

So far so good...

daft-punk-helmet.jpg

3442962903_d5d2d7d50d.jpg

Quick test fit with an old leather jacket (in my bathroom) Good lord this thing is heavy, but the shape is spot-on! The edges of the visor are are detailed now, and soon its back to detail sanding.

more updates soon...

Amazing work on Guy's helmet his was always my favorite out of the two. Really can't wait to see this done. Slight off topic question, but for you master sword where did you get the fiberglass sheet from? I was looking for something of that exact shape to repair the prop sword I had made for a Prince Marth costume.

Phoenix_92 said:
I was thinking the same, when I first seen a daft punk helm someone made before I thought it was an eva.
S-hame here.

EDIT:

And now how exactly are you going to make the visor? Hmm?

Maybe it's just your angle versus Guy's, but it looks like the front should be a bit shorter and the back stick out a bit more-er.
Of course, that could be fixed at how you place it on your head.
Prolly should disregard that, then.

This is looking beautiful.
:D
What's up next?

Slight off topic question, but for you master sword where did you get the fiberglass sheet from?

McMaster-Carr. They're an industrial supply shop here in Ga and they sell just about everything. www.mcmaster.com

Nirvana said:
And now how exactly are you going to make the visor? Hmm?

Once I resin cast the helmet, I'll cut the visor portion out of the resin piece. I'll take that part and vacuum-form it in PETG to make the visors.

Drakku said:
Maybe it's just your angle versus Guy's, but it looks like the front should be a bit shorter and the back stick out a bit more-er.
Of course, that could be fixed at how you place it on your head.

There are probably some bits that are off, since this is a hand-sculpt. For the purpose of this shot I just put a washcloth inside the helmet and then plunked it on my head. I'm sure that could use a little fine-tuning.

Next up are the ear pieces. I need to make sure I have the depth/size on those right before I do any more sanding. If I need to add material to the sides, there's no point in doing a bunch of detail work and then finding out those don't fit right; I need to get my CNC router pieces in before I start on that portion of the build though, so I'm on hold for the time being.

Not -quite- a double post, since its been some time.

I got the router pieces in... they're not really what I was hoping for. They'd require too much cleanup and wouldn't have the "machined" look I was going for. Instead, I've contacted someone about having some wood laser-etched. That should be in at the end of this week and hopefully I can start to wrap up the ears.

3470918427_f8305aea80_b.jpg

This is my hobo circle router. It actually worked pretty well, despite the need for me to pay very close attention to whether or not the bit was wandering around. Lack of progress (or, rather, lack of pictures...) does suck. I need to document better.

Hopefully I'll have some more to post tomorrow after I spend some more time with the sanding blocks. I've been working on shaping the "chin" area, which is actually slightly squared off on the front and the sides. Getting this to transition smoothly into the radius around the ears (and keep it all symmetrical!) has been a stone bitch.

Stay tuned.

Amazing work so far! This is one hell of a build thread.

Why is this in the noob forum? This should be in the elite.

Also make it harder, better, faster, stronger - lol.

But like I said.. Fantastic build so far! Cant wait to see more!

smilie120 said:
Amazing work so far! This is one hell of a build thread.

Why is this in the noob forum? This should be in the elite.

Also make it harder, better, faster, stronger - lol.

But like I said.. Fantastic build so far! Cant wait to see more!

Harder: check. This thing, despite what looks like a simple shape, has been very tricky to scratch-build.
Better: Hopefully! I've seen some pretty good Guy helmets out there, and I'm hoping mine will end up among those few.
Faster: Uh, nope. I work slow, and I always have. Ah well.
Stronger: Should be! I've been cutting my teeth on some simpler molds before I do the helmet, and messing around with TAP Plastic's Quick-Cast. So far I've only done a few smaller commissions (daggers, clubs, some jewelry) with it but it seems fairly strong.

I know a lot of guys here use the Smooth-On products, but I've not gotten a chance to use any of those. Anyone have a recommendation on whether Smoothcast 300 would make for a stronger final cast than the Quick-Cast I've used up until now?

As for it being in the Noob forum, well.. I'm still a noob as far as the 405th is concerned, so here I stay!

[edit]: literally as I'm entering this, I notice I'm now on "members" status and no longer a noob. Thanks Mods/Admins!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back