HellHound – ODST Canine Handler Armor

Nerf Assault Rifle Repaint
Like many other members I was able to get a great deal on the Nerf Assault Rifle on Amazon. At the time I got it back in July it was a "Deal of the Day" for around $30. It's Manufacture's Suggested Retail Price (if you ever wondered what MSRP stood for) is around $80, but it usually hovers around $50 on Amazon, and frankly, it is well worth the $50. Plenty of other folks have done reviews, but I will just reiterate that it is scaled great for an ODST or Marine costume, the details are there, it feels good in hand, and makes an excellent prop that you aren't afraid of dropping. If you can keep an eye on it and get a deal, it's great, but even if you get it for around $50 it's still worth that price, in my mind.

I sanded off the Nerf logos with a belt sander, followed by a palm sander, and finally by hand with sanding sponges.

The whole thing was given a coat of Krylon Brushed Aluminium as a base and for weathering purposes. Then I masked off where I intended to have some scratches showing through with liquid latex, and set about hand painting the whole thing. I hand painted it for two reasons. One, the best gun metal and metallic dark gray to achieve the sort of two tone paint job on the majority of UNSC weapons was an acrylic paint I stumbled on, and two, I didn't want to mask off all those small areas for rattle can painting and found hand painting it to be the easiest way to maintain control without masking off.
The detail lights/buttons were also painted with acrylics including a Neon green for the green areas. I made a quick and dirty barrel plug with a wooden dowl of the correct diameter wrapped in orange electrical tape. Finally in place of the default yellow stripe, I added a brown stripe of the same paint as my armor's mahogany secondary color so they match.

20231222_095553.jpg

20231222_095536.jpg

These are paints used for the majority of the rifle.
20231222_095810.jpg

As can be seen in the above images, the primary modification I made to this was to shorten the magazine. In the unmodified version it extends very far out to accommodate 10 nerf darts, making it the only real out of proportion part of the rifle.

There are several folks here and on places like Thingiverse that have made files to print a replacement magazine that sits more flush like the game rifle. I don't own a 3D printer, so, I went the improvisational way. I measured how far out the magazine extended from the rest of the rifle and then cut a section of the magazine out of that length, then rejoined the two halves back together with some scrap sytrene glued inside the magazine. Not very pretty on its own, but the cut is hidden once inserted.

20231222_095716.jpg

20231222_095726.jpg

Last piece is the Infinite style weapon charm.

I took inspiration from the battle rifle build done by RadMax117 and got some of the quick release key chains from Amazon:

And cut down the narrower end piece.
20231222_095744.jpg

Then I drilled a hole in the approximate same location as the mounting point seen in game and glued the post in.
20231222_095832.jpg

I'm so glad your build got shared for how you did the strapping on the backpack,otherwise I don't know how long it would have taken to come across this build. I love your tribute to your pup and the whole concept in general. As others have mentioned I hope you find time to be able to make some armour for your new pup. I'll be saving this thread for lots of inspiration!

Very nice job cadet! Thanks for posting a picture of the paint you used. I bought one of those nerf guns on Black Friday and Im debating painting it. I suppose the most important question is does it still fire with the modified cartridge? I’m not, is there anything else about painting it that prevents it from working? I’m just trying to decide between painting the nerf one or printing an entirely new one :D

I suppose the most important question is does it still fire with the modified cartridge?

Not sure. The spring seems like it might still be usable, but I also gutted the internals to make it non-firing to save on weight and to make it 100% Convention safe/compliant.

I'm only seeing this build now somehow, I love the whole concept dude!
I'll have to take notes for strapping up my armour when the time comes.

Deployment:
This suit was Deployed at Tier 2.
DeploymentCert.jpg

As a peak behind the curtain for anyone who has read this far, when a Deployment App comes in, it generates a new thread in the Division Staff area. While Nic has the final say in all Deployment matters as the DMO, Angela and I will often chime in and offer our opinion and perspective on an application, and we reach a consensus, although, again, Nic has final say.

In this case, I recused myself, but I was happy to see that Nic gave my costume the exact Tier I would have given it had it been submitted by anyone else.

So, why a Tier 2?
The answer is primarily due to the Non-Canon personalization and scaling/fitment issues on my sides.

My armor features a logo on the Chest plate and shoulder, Dog Skull and Cross bones and Paw Print respectively, that are not able to replicated with In Game personalization in any game.

Additionally the armor has secondary colors applied to the Elbows and a stripe on the thigh, which is not able to be done in ODST's Firefight customization, and the placement of the secondary color on the backpack does not match the location of the secondary color placement in Firefight's customization options.

My helmet also features the secondary color not in the location of Firefight's Customization.

My backpack features a Dog Tag and TeddyBear charm, again not available in Firefight.

Finally, as one final issue of buying this armor second hand, the previous owner drastically cut down the side piece that goes under the arms between the chest and back. In game this piece covers the entire area, but in my armor as it currently stands this piece does not fill the entire area.

Hopefully this assessment will allow you to better understand some of the criteria we use when looking at builds and reaching a decision on Tier grading.

Absolutely amazing work!! Congrats on deployment! I love those photos :D

Nerf Assault Rifle Repaint
Like many other members I was able to get a great deal on the Nerf Assault Rifle on Amazon. At the time I got it back in July it was a "Deal of the Day" for around $30. It's Manufacture's Suggested Retail Price (if you ever wondered what MSRP stood for) is around $80, but it usually hovers around $50 on Amazon, and frankly, it is well worth the $50. Plenty of other folks have done reviews, but I will just reiterate that it is scaled great for an ODST or Marine costume, the details are there, it feels good in hand, and makes an excellent prop that you aren't afraid of dropping. If you can keep an eye on it and get a deal, it's great, but even if you get it for around $50 it's still worth that price, in my mind.

I sanded off the Nerf logos with a belt sander, followed by a palm sander, and finally by hand with sanding sponges.

The whole thing was given a coat of Krylon Brushed Aluminium as a base and for weathering purposes. Then I masked off where I intended to have some scratches showing through with liquid latex, and set about hand painting the whole thing. I hand painted it for two reasons. One, the best gun metal and metallic dark gray to achieve the sort of two tone paint job on the majority of UNSC weapons was an acrylic paint I stumbled on, and two, I didn't want to mask off all those small areas for rattle can painting and found hand painting it to be the easiest way to maintain control without masking off.
The detail lights/buttons were also painted with acrylics including a Neon green for the green areas. I made a quick and dirty barrel plug with a wooden dowl of the correct diameter wrapped in orange electrical tape. Finally in place of the default yellow stripe, I added a brown stripe of the same paint as my armor's mahogany secondary color so they match.

View attachment 339996
View attachment 339995

These are paints used for the majority of the rifle.
View attachment 340000

As can be seen in the above images, the primary modification I made to this was to shorten the magazine. In the unmodified version it extends very far out to accommodate 10 nerf darts, making it the only real out of proportion part of the rifle.

There are several folks here and on places like Thingiverse that have made files to print a replacement magazine that sits more flush like the game rifle. I don't own a 3D printer, so, I went the improvisational way. I measured how far out the magazine extended from the rest of the rifle and then cut a section of the magazine out of that length, then rejoined the two halves back together with some scrap sytrene glued inside the magazine. Not very pretty on its own, but the cut is hidden once inserted.

View attachment 339997
View attachment 339998

Last piece is the Infinite style weapon charm.

I took inspiration from the battle rifle build done by RadMax117 and got some of the quick release key chains from Amazon:

And cut down the narrower end piece.
View attachment 339999

Then I drilled a hole in the approximate same location as the mounting point seen in game and glued the post in.
View attachment 340001
*runs to buy a nerf gun*
This is awesome! I just completed my first weapon re-paint and was looking for inspo for the next. I love this. That charm, your whole concept! Now I wanna be a K9 handler too! :)

Awesome job, and I love the fact that you incorporated your pupper into the build. Quick question about Tiers, would using a weapon from a different game than the armor knock something down from Tier 3 to 2? I'm aiming for a Tier 3 in my Reach build but would like to build a Battle Rifle for the weapons, even though it's not in the original Reach game.

Awesome job, and I love the fact that you incorporated your pupper into the build. Quick question about Tiers, would using a weapon from a different game than the armor knock something down from Tier 3 to 2? I'm aiming for a Tier 3 in my Reach build but would like to build a Battle Rifle for the weapons, even though it's not in the original Reach game.
Weapons are not taken into consideration unless they are in someway permanently mounted to your armor, as the Deployment Application only asks for full body images of your armor, front, sides, and back in a neutral pose so the whole costume can be seen, like those in this post:

Weapons are not taken into consideration unless they are in someway permanently mounted to your armor, as the Deployment Application only asks for full body images of your armor, front, sides, and back in a neutral pose so the whole costume can be seen, like those in this post:
Alright, thank you for your help!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back