Help buying Dremel Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nogood

Jr Member
I am going to go and purchase a dremel tool to carve out and make details to my future fiberglass/bondo helmets and armor........ So very simple question that I need a very professional 405th infantryman or infantrymen to answer!!

Which Dremel is the best for detailing armor-- Price really doesn't matter just not over 50 bucks unless its so amazing that you think I should really get it that bad...

This is also going to be one of my many Christmas presents from my parents... So name me a good one to give to them please!!

THANKS 405th!!

P.S. I have no bits or anything... so A kit might be best-- or just name me some bits I will need... Thanks AGAIN!!! Simply, Nogood..

$50 is not going to buy you much for a Dremel, At least not a "best bang for your buck" one.

Depending on what you plan to do with it, I would choose a Dremel that has the most versatility over all, meaning you can use many different accessories and attachments on it if you use it for more than just your armor sculpting.

I bought a Dremel 4000 series in a kit. It cost me $80 at lowes, came with a drill guide, sanding gaurd, detailers grip, and a medium attachment kit.

I HIGHLY, HIGHLY suggest that you DO NOT buy a cordless one, or you will be charging the battery all the time. This is one of those times a corded dremel is better.

Let me also put this into perspective for you: Better to buy a little bit more than you think you need, just in case, than to buy something cheap, and then realize you need more than what it can do.

Just like a gun or a condom: Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Advice well taken! Thanks to both of you guys! I can spend more.. I get about 300 dollars for christmas, but I really only use dremel for armor building...BUT I did just get married and sadly have no power tools.. so it might be well worth the money to get a higher one :) I will keep it in mind!

If anyone else has any great dremels out there please tell me because I want a replica... Haha Thanks again Revenant and Sky_Walker!

Weird. I actually was gonna post this as well. I'm strapped for cash and was looking for a cheap dremel. I found a $40 one here:

$40 Dremel

I'm not sure of quality, but it's relatively cheaper than what I saw in stores

That one would work, but I would be scared of the other guys informing us about ( wireless dremels do have to be charged alot...) I think a cord one would be best if there was one... but I don't know anything about them, I do know that the speed matters, Such as how many volts it takes. MORE POWER >=D

Hopefully we will get more advice!! Come on 405th! =D

I am going to go and purchase a dremel tool to carve out and make details to my future fiberglass/bondo helmets and armor........ So very simple question that I need a very professional 405th infantryman or infantrymen to answer!!

You first have to ask yourself how many of those "future costumes" you want to make and whether you have any other hobbies where a rotary tool might come in handy (which is unlikely, otherwise you would already have one, right? :)). If you hardly have any use for it, spending a lot of money on a super-sophisticated model doesn't make sense.

Don't let Dremel's advertising fool you: You are almost NEVER going to use this thing "around the house". You can, theoretically, but let's be realistic: Dremels are too small for most of the advertised uses, they really only excel at small-scale crafting type hobbies. A Dremel will never replace a drilling machine or a palm sander.

The smallest model I'd recommend is the 300 series, although that is already more expensive than 50$. It has variable speeds though, instead of just on and off - that's going to be handy when you work with plastics, which tend to melt (and possibly ruin your accessory) if you set the speed too high.

Just for clarification: Accessories are the "bits" you insert into the front, like a cutter, attachments are things you can screw onto the front, like a straight cutting guide.

P.S. I have no bits or anything... so A kit might be best-- or just name me some bits I will need...
Kits often contain a lot of useless stuff (usually tons of felt wheels, cutting discs and grinding stones - i.e. cheap stuff, to get the item count up) and lack accessories that you really do need (selection of carving accessories, which can be more expensive). I'd recommend that you get the tool with as few accessories as possible, get one accessory of each category separately, try them out and once you have a feel for it get more. Don't buy stuff you might need, only buy stuff that you definitely do need.

You'll most likely need this:

• Dremel (300 or better, preferably a wired model)
  • Flex shaft attachment (nice to have, but expensive)
  • 4486 - Dremel chuck (makes accessory switching a LOT easier and quicker)
  • Sanding:
    • 407, 408, 432, 445 - large sanding drum mandrel and sanding bands in 60, 120 and 240 grit (last longer than small bands, but are more bulky)
    • 430, 431, 438, 446 - small sanding drum mandrel and sanding bands in 60, 120 and 240 grit
    • EZ402, 512E - EZ Lock mandrel and EZ Lock 320 grit finishing buff (useful for making glossy plastics slightly matte, otherwise mostly useless for propmaking)
  • Cutting:
    • 561 - multipurpose cutting bit
    • Cutting discs, for example 540 with 402 mandrel
  • Carving, detailing (mostly for details you can't achieve with sanding bands, pick your desired shapes and sizes out of the whole catalogue):
    • High speed cutters like 193, 191
    • Engraving cutters like 106

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info ventrue! Do you think this one would do me good? Remember I know almost nothing about these things but I have seen videos about how much they come in handy!

I don't plan on doing stuff around the house with them, but my wife said she could use one... so I'd figure I'd get one around 80 dollars now.

Final question! Do you think this is one I should tell my loving mother I want---> Click here---> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dremel-300-...366?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item255e72ea66

It is 100 dollars but Its the one you said...but I have no clue if the bits or screws are anything I need... So just tell me what you think I guess.. THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE!!

300 Series Variable Speed Rotary Tool
• Circle Cutter Attachment
• 191 High Speed Cutter
• 401 Mandrel
• 402 Mandrel
• 403 Bristle Brush
• 407 Coarse 1/2" Sanding Drum
• 414 Small Felt Wheels (2)
• 420 Heavy Duty Emery Cut-Off Wheel (2)
• 421 Polishing Compound
• 422 Cone Polishing Tip
• 426 1-1/4" Fiberglass-Reinforced Cut-Off Wheel
• 428 Carbon Steel Brush
• 429 Large Felt Wheel
• 430 Coarse 1/4" Sanding Drum
• 432 1/2" 120 Grit Sanding Band
• 438 1/4" 120 Grit Sanding Band
• 442 Carbon Steel Brush
• 540 1-1/4" Cut-Off Wheel
• 561 MultiPurpose Cutting Bit
• 932 Aluminum Oxide Grinding Stone
• 952 Aluminum Oxide Grinding Stone
• 8193 5/8" Aluminum Oxide Grinding Stone
• 85422 Silicon Carbide Grinding Stone

The kit comes with all this--Reason I posted this is to make it easier then going back and forth to Ebay... Thanks!

My dad has a UNUSED Dremel 200 Series-- Should I be happy with this one and not ask one for christmas?

It has 407, 408, 432 (x2), 445 sanding... 402 and 401 divers that make holes.... 420 (x2) for cutting...84922 and 8193 for carving/engraving........414, 425, 421 for cleaning/polishing...

HELP LOL- is this one good enough? or should i go with a 300 series?

300 Series Variable Speed Rotary Tool
• Circle Cutter Attachment
• 191 High Speed Cutter
• 401 Mandrel
• 402 Mandrel
• 403 Bristle Brush
• 407 Coarse 1/2" Sanding Drum
• 414 Small Felt Wheels (2)
• 420 Heavy Duty Emery Cut-Off Wheel (2)
• 421 Polishing Compound
• 422 Cone Polishing Tip
• 426 1-1/4" Fiberglass-Reinforced Cut-Off Wheel
• 428 Carbon Steel Brush
• 429 Large Felt Wheel
• 430 Coarse 1/4" Sanding Drum
• 432 1/2" 120 Grit Sanding Band
• 438 1/4" 120 Grit Sanding Band
• 442 Carbon Steel Brush
• 540 1-1/4" Cut-Off Wheel
• 561 MultiPurpose Cutting Bit
• 932 Aluminum Oxide Grinding Stone
• 952 Aluminum Oxide Grinding Stone
• 8193 5/8" Aluminum Oxide Grinding Stone
• 85422 Silicon Carbide Grinding Stone

The kit comes with all this--Reason I posted this is to make it easier then going back and forth to Ebay... Thanks!

I took the liberty of adding colours to the quote. Everything in red you definitely don't need for prop making. As you see, there's not a lot left - a couple of cutting wheels, too few sanding bands (get the six-packs, they wear out quickly) and a single cutter.

My dad has a UNUSED Dremel 200 Series-- Should I be happy with this one and not ask one for christmas?

It has 407, 408, 432 (x2), 445 sanding... 402 and 401 divers that make holes.... 420 (x2) for cutting...84922 and 8193 for carving/engraving........414, 425, 421 for cleaning/polishing...

HELP LOL- is this one good enough? or should i go with a 300 series?

Try it out. If your dad hasn't ever used it, he probably won't mind ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
Got to say even though this isn't my thread I appreciate the info as well I have the large dremel kit in the one pic but its good to know what i should stock up on when i get to the stage and need it.

This thread is very helpful after I see what I'm really asking... Everyone wants to know what the pros use! Haha, well I have decided that all the information here is Upper Class Awesome!!

MY RESULT: The 4000 series is the BEST by looking at reviews... ( BUT COST AROUND 100 BONES )

So I am going to get a 300 series from Wal-Mart that only cost 50 Bucks and it comes with many bits / ends that are needed! Thanks to everyone who helped! Also I'd like to think Vshore for telling me about them all.

P.S. After I get the 300 series from Wal-Mart for $50- I will buy the flex-shaft!! Flex-shaft seems to be a must have for the pros!!

Thanks for all the information 405th! And amazing costume ventrue :)

This thread is very helpful after I see what I'm really asking... Everyone wants to know what the pros use! Haha, well I have decided that all the information here is Upper Class Awesome!!

MY RESULT: The 4000 series is the BEST by looking at reviews... ( BUT COST AROUND 100 BONES )

So I am going to get a 300 series from Wal-Mart that only cost 50 Bucks and it comes with many bits / ends that are needed! Thanks to everyone who helped! Also I'd like to think Vshore for telling me about them all.

P.S. After I get the 300 series from Wal-Mart for $50- I will buy the flex-shaft!! Flex-shaft seems to be a must have for the pros!!

Thanks for all the information 405th! And amazing costume ventrue :)

I'd like to thank you as well. I researched this issue and came up with nothing. I've been watching this thread for a couple days to get info. :D

Well Gladkumar, if it helps- People who get the 4000's series say " You will marry it ", " You will never get another ", I haven't heard anything bad at all about it. The 4000's series bits can be put into the 400 series... some people said that was very helpful...

But- since I'm short on cash and would like to buy a new one instead of a used one- I'm going with 300 series. Ventrue knows what he is talking about =P

My Wal-Mart has the 300 series for 50 dollars. ( it doesn't come with a flex-shaft ) they cost about $10

If anyone else has a great dremel feel free to post!!!! Everyone needs a good dremel!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back