"Help!" for: Armor Mounting / Costume Assembling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, have some more questions, mostly related to the other non pep related stuff for a Mrk v Noble Six.

First, I haven't been able to find a decent priced visor another link to some would be much (VERY) much appreciated. I have heard that you have to heat the visor and shape it with a heat gun. Though I have over a hundred posts I'm still very much a Noob, the only difference is that I know how to put pep pieces together. Which leads to my second Q...

What is a heat gun?/Where can I find one?/How much do they usually cost?

Where would be the best place to get the armor straps and harnesses to attach the armor pieces?

And lastly...

thanks for ready all of my questions any help can be useful.

Seth.

You should be able to find some good motorcycle visors on Ebay. Just search "HJC visors" or "iridium visors." These are usually really good choices. You could also look for "tinted motorcycle visors" to find some good choices. A good price should be around $20-$30.

Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with heat guns. What I know is that a heat gun is a handheld tool shaped much like a drill that shoots a stream of very hot air (Usually over 100 degrees farenheit). They can be bought for about $70.

As for straps, a great place to buy them would be strapworks.com. They have a wide variety of straps, caribeaners, and buckles ranging from many different sizes. You also get discounts for buying in bulk, which is nice. This is where I get my strapping supplies.

Hope this helps!

Alright, have some more questions, mostly related to the other non pep related stuff for a Mrk v Noble Six.

First, I haven't been able to find a decent priced visor another link to some would be much (VERY) much appreciated. I have heard that you have to heat the visor and shape it with a heat gun. Though I have over a hundred posts I'm still very much a Noob, the only difference is that I know how to put pep pieces together. Which leads to my second Q...

What is a heat gun?/Where can I find one?/How much do they usually cost?

Where would be the best place to get the armor straps and harnesses to attach the armor pieces?

And lastly...

thanks for ready all of my questions any help can be useful.

Seth.

Here is a link that took me about 30 seconds to find...

http://www.google.com/products/cata...&sa=X&ei=yB8gUL6VKI3zrAG1oYFg&ved=0CH0Q8wIwBw

There are tons more, just type in "gold motorcycle helmet replacement visor" into google and check out the shopping area. You may be able to find a better deal. SergantTinkers is right, $20 - $30 is a decent price range for visors.

DO NOT USE A HEAT GUN ON A MOTORCYCLE HELMET VISOR. There is a chance that the heat will affect the gold tint on the visor causing it to bubble or otherwise distort. I wouldn't risk it. The visors are pretty flexible and as long as you don't put too much pressure in one area, you'll be fine flexing it into place.

Heat guns do have their uses. Essentially a heat gun is an over powered hairdryer. It's shaped like a hairdryer and blasts out hot air. It comes in handy when you want to speed up the curing process of resin and bondo (as both use heat to cure).

Since I've pretty much scratch built my harness, I can't offer any advice there as to where to purchase one.

Thanks both of you guys, I'm probably the biggest noob at this many posts! I'm going to order one of the visors I found through the link, I really appreciate that you took the time to find something I should have been able to find myself. THANKS!!!

Thanks Cloviz, do you have anything as far as boots and gloves?

some people use Underarmor shirts and pants but i figured the lyrca suit is seemless and the zipper is covered by the torso

personally my spartan boots fit over my street shoes and it looks good and im looking at motocross gloves but im still finishing up on my suit before i get ahead of my self..

I would honestly avoid a wet-suit. Wet-suits are designed to retain body heat for divers. With your armor on, you will be hot enough, if you wear a wet-suit, you could easily overheat. Your underarmor should breath (relatively light fabrics like cotton).

I would honestly avoid a wet-suit. Wet-suits are designed to retain body heat for divers. With your armor on, you will be hot enough, if you wear a wet-suit, you could easily overheat. Your underarmor should breath (relatively light fabrics like cotton).

Lycra suits arnt wetsuits....morph suits are Lycra suits as well.

I have a hotsuit (those full body lycra suits) and they definitely keep body heat in. I got it to wear under my wetsuit (makes putting the wetsuit on and taking it off way easier). But I've used it by itself when snorkeling to keep warm in colder waters.

Lycra suits arnt wetsuits....morph suits are Lycra suits as well.

The first link you have is to something you wear under a wet-suit.

The following is taken directly from the link...

-lycra
-Dive suit provides UV protection and defense against sea lice, jellies and other biological irritants
-Worn as base layer, Sport Skin increases warmth and also makes it easier to slip into neoprene suits
-Naturally form-fitting to reduce drag in the water while providing full-body coverage
-Long front zip makes donning and doffing fast; foot stirrups prevent suit from riding up legs
-Includes limited one-year manufacturer's warranty

And to be perfectly honest, I have always found that morph suits make for ugly undersuits, they make the wearer look too scrawny.

Last edited by a moderator:
I need help finding some latches to hold my armor together.

These are the type that I'm looking for: (The black things that look like butterfly wings)
8-pack-1200-corner.jpg

8-pack-mv-1200.jpg

I'm not sure what those things are called. I've seen them before on beafy toolboxes, and on military weapon cases. They have a key looking handle that you rotate 180 degrees that slides the hook part closed. The website that I got those images from says the case has "locking hasps" but when I google search for locking hasps I just get the little padlock holders that lock things closed, not these cool butterfly clasp things.

Here's a closeup of one (the picture was just titled "latch" so that doesn't help me):
lm_latch_1.jpg

So, if anyone can help me with what those things are called, or better yet, a place to buy them (Home Depot doesn't carry them, I took a picture in and asked like 5 people, all of them said they didn't carry those).

Edit: Here's these guys selling them, $56 for 8 of them:
http://www.ecscase.com/shopnow/accessories/loadmastertm-rotomold-replacement-latches-kit

Again, they're just called latches, so I bet if I had their name I could find them much cheaper elsewhere. But $7 each isn't terrible, so I'll just order from them if I can't find them elsewhere.

I am having issues finding some feed back in the best kind of under armor. I've seen some suggestions for wet suits others for thermals, but I want some feed back, so I know what i need to look for, and what to avoid.

I am having issues finding some feed back in the best kind of under armor. I've seen some suggestions for wet suits others for thermals, but I want some feed back, so I know what i need to look for, and what to avoid.

Take a look at the second post of my Mk VI thread, there are a few links for military BDU's. They breathe very nicely, so I don't overheat. As stated earlier, stay away from wet-suits or any sort of clothing designed to retain heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back