"Help!" for: Armor Mounting / Costume Assembling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some use a black overalls, top and trousers, motorcycle protective armour. It really your choice but budget, time/effort & skills will affect whatyou choose to do.
i don't want it to look like jeans and a hoodie, but want it to be so one does not die(figurative or literal) marching about in something, say a parade. any ideas?

Simplest first
black trousers and black top
overalls
motorcycle (or other) body armour
spandex suit - added detail
custom made game accurate sewn from scratch

it is of course dependant on how much money you have to spend, how much time you want to put into it and how close to the game you want to get.

Im about $60 and 20 hours into my lycra/foam undersuit, needs a test fit and then Im onto strapping etc

Simplest first
black trousers and black top
overalls
motorcycle (or other) body armour
spandex suit - added detail
custom made game accurate sewn from scratch

it is of course dependant on how much money you have to spend, how much time you want to put into it and how close to the game you want to get.

Im about $60 and 20 hours into my lycra/foam undersuit, needs a test fit and then Im onto strapping etc

I like the "custom made game accurate sewn from scratch" one :) -win!

Hey guys! I'm looking around for strapping materials and I was curious what you guys usually buy for putting together a full suit. Right now I'm just considering side release buckles and nylon strapping itself, but being able to adjust most of the strapping is important for this suit- what strapping element allows this? Or do the buckles themselves permit adjustment of the straps? I haven't worked with these materials before so I thought I'd ask before buying anything.

I haven't made a costume before, but if you're gonna use straps for your armor, I would just use some black stretchy (whatever material... IDK...) straps with buckles, but make sure you can adjust them. Hope I helped, but I'm new, so I don't count on it!!! XD

My question is I have several pieces I haven't been able to fit into and plan to cut them open, specifically the chest, belt, and helmet. Does anyone have an idea on how to reattach them?

I'm just gonna bounce this idea off you guys. Do you think that an under armor suit could have cold pacs on the outside of it? I ask this because I read somewhere that the suits can get really hot. Also, do you think I could hide small ones inside the detailing for the stomach area? If this did work, I'd probably just stick it in a freezer for an hour or two.

With underarmor, it is not the exposed areas that will have the heat dissipation problem. Get Underarmor heatgear and that will be good enough. I would instead suggest that you make pockets in the armor for the ice packs. The upper arms, chest/back, and thighs are going to be the places you will want the cold. As long as you keep those major muscle groups cooler, then you should be good to go.

I just put an ice pack in a cloth bag under my chest piece. Race car drivers do it, claiming that keeping the heart cool allows it to pump cooled blood to the extremities. Sounds like a reasonable assumption to me, and for my last 2 "troops" it's worked great.

I just put an ice pack in a cloth bag under my chest piece. Race car drivers do it, claiming that keeping the heart cool allows it to pump cooled blood to the extremities. Sounds like a reasonable assumption to me, and for my last 2 "troops" it's worked great.
The ice pack is a great idea I've never even thought of it!

I am building a T-45d suit from Fallout 3 and it is a very bulky suit, so far I have completed the legs but whenever I put them on they slide right down to my feet because they are so bulky and I am kind of skinny. What would be the best method to make these things:
1. Stay up on my leg.
and
2. Not wobble all around.

I am building a T-45d suit from Fallout 3 and it is a very bulky suit, so far I have completed the legs but whenever I put them on they slide right down to my feet because they are so bulky and I am kind of skinny. What would be the best method to make these things:
1. Stay up on my leg.
and
2. Not wobble all around.

Did you scale them to fit you? If you did, did you put in padding?

Yes they are scaled perfectly but I don't have any padding in them at the moment.

While I'm unfamiliar with the Fallout 3 armor, I can tell you how it's generally done for a Mjolnir Mark VI suit, and how I did it for mine.

First, you make sure the legs are padded so that they have a slightly snug fit. This also keeps them centered around your leg. For the Spartan armor, the codpiece is attached to a utility belt, which is then connected to some type of suspenders so that the weight is being held up by your shoulders, not the waist. Then it's simply a matter of attaching nylon straps and plastic side-release buckles to connect the leg pieces to the belt piece. Place them wherever you feel is the best location.

Feel free to check out my Mark VI build in my sig. Towards the end of the thread, I show in detail how I accomplished this. Hopefully it will help you successfully attach your armor. Good luck!

While I'm unfamiliar with the Fallout 3 armor, I can tell you how it's generally done for a Mjolnir Mark VI suit, and how I did it for mine.

First, you make sure the legs are padded so that they have a slightly snug fit. This also keeps them centered around your leg. For the Spartan armor, the codpiece is attached to a utility belt, which is then connected to some type of suspenders so that the weight is being held up by your shoulders, not the waist. Then it's simply a matter of attaching nylon straps and plastic side-release buckles to connect the leg pieces to the belt piece. Place them wherever you feel is the best location.

Feel free to check out my Mark VI build in my sig. Towards the end of the thread, I show in detail how I accomplished this. Hopefully it will help you successfully attach your armor. Good luck!

Oh I see now, I was confused because I saw a few shots around here where people secured buckles in the armor when they rondoed the inside, so I got antsy when I realized I'd be rondoing soon and wondered if I should invest in strapping. I also heard of belt/pant strapping and the foam padding as well and I thought they may have been all separate ways to strap stuff rather than supposed to be used together.

Anyways thanks for the help, it really helped me to understand how to strap this all together.

Oh I see now, I was confused because I saw a few shots around here where people secured buckles in the armor when they rondoed the inside, so I got antsy when I realized I'd be rondoing soon and wondered if I should invest in strapping. I also heard of belt/pant strapping and the foam padding as well and I thought they may have been all separate ways to strap stuff rather than supposed to be used together.

Anyways thanks for the help, it really helped me to understand how to strap this all together.

If you really planned far enough ahead, you could secure buckles or strapping while still in the hardening phase. This would ensure that the strapping is really part of the armor piece, and not just glued to it. However, I'm pretty sure the majority of us just do the padding/strapping at the very end once all the pieces are finished.

Feel free to ask more questions if anything is still unclear. :)

As for the legs. I know I scaled these right but it it still a bit of a tight fit through pieces like my shins due to the fact that I have to put my feet through them, would padding inside them make it harder to put on your shins/thigh pieces?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back