"Help!" for: Fiberglassing, Resin, & Bondo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would actually suggest two coats of resin on the outside before you harden the helmet. This will ensure that it will not warp during the hardening process. Applying resin on the inside before you rondo is not really necessary, since rondo fills in all the tiny crevices anyway, resining before hand is an extra step (and expense) you don't need. Also, you can apply the rondo to the entire inside of your helmet in one go, but you may want to add in a few smaller batches afterward to get to spots that are thinner than others. Another thing some people do (myself included) is add a layer of fiberglass over the rondo, further strengthening the helmet, but that's up to you. Rondo on its own can be brittle if too thin, and heavy if too thick, so, a thin layer of rondo followed by a layer of fiberglass cloth is the best of both worlds.
So is it okay if I do the entire (or almost all) of the second exterior coat of resin in one shot?

So is it okay if I do the entire (or almost all) of the second exterior coat of resin in one shot?

You are correct, sir. Since the paper already has been made stiff from the first coat of resin, it will easily stand up to a second coat over the entire piece.

I was under the impression that after two coats of resin on the outside, fibreglass mat was applied to the inside before any rondo goes near the thing. What advantage is there to putting rondo on the inside? Also, car-body filler (rondo equivalent) is pretty thick - why are the tutorials talking about, "sloshing" it around on the inside? Are there any videos out there showing this being done? I can't find any.

I was under the impression that after two coats of resin on the outside, fibreglass mat was applied to the inside before any rondo goes near the thing. What advantage is there to putting rondo on the inside? Also, car-body filler (rondo equivalent) is pretty thick - why are the tutorials talking about, "sloshing" it around on the inside? Are there any videos out there showing this being done? I can't find any.

The advantage of applying rondo to the inside before fiberglass is that the rondo will fill in all the little crevices, where fiberglass may leave un-reinforced bubbles.

The thickness of rondo (which is a mixture of car-body filler and resin, not an equivalent of car body filler) depends on how much resin you add. You can do a 50/50 mixture and get a very thin/runny consistency, or you can do a different ratio to get something thicker or thinner. A thin mixture is used to be able to slosh it around inside the helmet.

There are videos of members using rondo to harden helmets and other armor parts. Here are two from BenStreeper and Cereal Killl3r respectively...

Ben Streeper's How to Make a Helmet From Pep to Finish

Cereal Killl3r's Mk VI Torso From Resin to Finish

Both offer videos that are VERY informative.

The advantage of applying rondo to the inside before fiberglass is that the rondo will fill in all the little crevices, where fiberglass may leave un-reinforced bubbles.

The thickness of rondo (which is a mixture of car-body filler and resin, not an equivalent of car body filler) depends on how much resin you add. You can do a 50/50 mixture and get a very thin/runny consistency, or you can do a different ratio to get something thicker or thinner. A thin mixture is used to be able to slosh it around inside the helmet.

There are videos of members using rondo to harden helmets and other armor parts. Here are two from BenStreeper and Cereal Killl3r respectively...

Awesome sauce! Thanks mate! Great videos which I would NEVER have found without help.

Cheers!

You are correct, sir. Since the paper already has been made stiff from the first coat of resin, it will easily stand up to a second coat over the entire piece.

Cool, but I just thought about something. Do I just pour some resin into the brim of the visor and slosh it around?

Cool, but I just thought about something. Do I just pour some resin into the brim of the visor and slosh it around?

You can do that. I poured some thin rondo into the brim of my MK VI helmet, then followed up by stuffing some resin-soaked fiberglass cloth down. The rondo ensured that the corners would be filled, and provided a smoother, more easily accessible area for the fiberglass cloth. Keep in mind, though, that adding too much rondo, or even too much sloshed resin to the brim of the helmet can make it front-heavy, which may create issues later on when you are trying to pad the helmet.

I watched a heap of these today and last night. As you said, VERY informative. I got started on the Rondo mix straight away. Here's where I'm ate so far. http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/37620-Sandbagger-s-Iron-Man-build/page3

What is body filler sorry if thats a stupid question just kinda lost on this. And also u said buf squares, where u reffering to the sanding squares?

What is body filler sorry if thats a stupid question just kinda lost on this. And also u said buf squares, where u reffering to the sanding squares?

Body filler is what most people refer to as Bondo...

3RAR1_AS01?$productdetail$.jpg

Bondo is actually the brand name and its product line includes the body filler, resin, fiberglass cloth, spot putty, filler spreaders and a number of other products.

As far as the "buf squares" I'm not sure what you're referring to. Which post number was that mentioned in?

Oh, and welcome to the forums!

Hey all,
Im not 100% sure about something, (and this is probably going to sound pretty dumb to the more experienced members) Can I use foam brushes with the resin? Or will it just eat right through it?
Thanks
Josh

Hey 405th! I am ready to start the rondo stage of my MK VI helmet build. I didn't resin the inside as I was told it wasn't really necessary. Anyways, I went up to Walmart the other day to buy some bondo body filler. I didn't think I'd need that much, so I was reaching for the smaller can when an employee told me that I'd need the 20$ gallon. Now, I don't wanna spend 12$ extra and have a bunch of filler left over, so my question is, how much will I really need? If I do need the gallon, I'll do it, it just seems like a ton.

Hey all,
Im not 100% sure about something, (and this is probably going to sound pretty dumb to the more experienced members) Can I use foam brushes with the resin? Or will it just eat right through it?
Thanks
Josh
I would suggest using a normal brush like everyone else. If it aint broke, don't fix it.

Hey 405th! I am ready to start the rondo stage of my MK VI helmet build. I didn't resin the inside as I was told it wasn't really necessary. Anyways, I went up to Walmart the other day to buy some bondo body filler. I didn't think I'd need that much, so I was reaching for the smaller can when an employee told me that I'd need the 20$ gallon. Now, I don't wanna spend 12$ extra and have a bunch of filler left over, so my question is, how much will I really need? If I do need the gallon, I'll do it, it just seems like a ton.
For $12 I would get the extra Bondo. You may stuff up your helmet and need to start again, you may want to build more armour, who knows? I wouldn't quibble over a miserly $12. Better to have too much than not enough.

I would suggest using a normal brush like everyone else. If it aint broke, don't fix it.

For $12 I would get the extra Bondo. You may stuff up your helmet and need to start again, you may want to build more armour, who knows? I wouldn't quibble over a miserly $12. Better to have too much than not enough.

Thanks for the help! :)

Hey all,
Thanks
Josh
You can, but you need to be super careful. The resin will destroy the foam, so as you're working, you might have pieces of the brush break off and embed themselves in the work. Overall I don't think it's worth the hassle.

Hello all I'm also reaching near the bondo stage of my helmet. I have been looking on the forms and seeing other people's work but I'm still confused as to how to use bondo

Thanks guys or gals

Put a golf ball size of the gray putty on a board and mix it thoroughly with a pea size ball the cream hardener(red stuff in the tube) until it is a even redish pink color. Then you take the mixed putty and spread a thin coating over your helmet with a old credit card or a putty knife. After you got your first thin coat on let it sit for about an hour to harden. After dry you can add more layers of the bondo till you get the desired coverage you like. Also wouldn't be a bad idea to check out some YouTube videos to get a better idea.

So would u apply a first layer of bondo over the whole helmet? Or just specific spots u want to improve ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back