"Help!" for: Fiberglassing, Resin, & Bondo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see what you mean, Katsu. I've only used rondo as a final layer of strength for my costume, so I wasn't sure of how strong it would be. My other idea was putting fiberglass on the inside before closing it up, as it is a pretty simple design. But, for the expanding foam, what method would you apply it? I saw somewhere of someone applying the foam in a strip-like manner for some reason, which didn't make sense to me. What method would you recommend for applying the foam?

Expanding foam... you cut a small hole, and make sure that's the only hole in the hammer head (this is after you rondo the inside, or use some other method to back it. I like rondo because expanding foam doesn't take sharp pressure like a fingertip very well) Expanding foam comes in an aerosol can with a straw, stick the straw in the hammer and spray a bit in, you don't want to put too much though because it comes out as like a paste, and then expands several times larger. Keep the hole open so the extra can escape!

The one I use is activated by water in the air, and an enclosed space like the hammer will have plenty of surfaces that aren't going to get air, so you may want to put a little water inside.

Be careful, don't pour extra down the drain because it will plug up the drain!

Okay, I get it! The idea is to fill the empty space with the foam and not use it for reinforcement. That makes a lot of sense. I may or may not use that for the hammer I will make, but will definitely try it out on a more intricate, sword prop that I will be making after that.

I thank you for your wise words of assistance.

Expanding foam works to an extent for reinforcement, think of it like styrofoam. It is great at supporting broad surfaces (like rondo backed hammer walls) but narrow pressure like a finger will push through it.

is there another kind of resin then commonly used? its cold here and i got a family in here and i dont want to harm so i want to use a different type of resin

Aqua resin is what i will be using. It is non-toxic because it is water based. Its a little bit more expensive, but worth it for safety.

Is bondo a necessary step in making the armor?

I would say yes to your question jamestfox. I it can smooth out imperfections from the curing process. When mixed with resin to make the legendary Rondo, it can get into the little cracks and drasticly reduce the chance of air bubbles forming when the resin sets. It provides a flatter surface for the fibreglass to stick to. But the bondo for the outside of your armour allows you to shape the surfaces to get the desired angles and details.

what actually happens if the commonly use resin cures in lets say -15 degrees? its getting cold here

and also what happens if your'e exposed to the commonly used resin?? do u die?

Make what you want to build. There are plenty of ideas here to make. I guess it would be whatever you are into. be kind of like us telling you what car and color to buy. Explore and look around, only you can decide what to build. Any number of Halo armor, Ironman, Starwars, the list goes on.

what actually happens if the commonly use resin cures in lets say -15 degrees? its getting cold here

and also what happens if your'e exposed to the commonly used resin?? do u die?

Common fiberglass resin: Will cure at room temp much faster than in colder temps. Essentially it will take longer and longer to cure the lower the temp. is, until it simply won't do so. At minus 15 degrees ( C or F ) I doubt any amount of hardener will allow it to cure

Acute health effects of resin are generally irritation of the skin, eyes, and the upper respiratory tract. Acute exposure also results in gastrointestinal effects. Chronic exposure affects the central nervous system showing symptoms such as depression, headache, fatigue, weakness, and may cause minor effects on kidney function.
Epoxy resins are known to cause contact dermatitis and burns in some people.
I would suggest you read this before working with it http://www.westsystem.com/ss/health-effects-from-overexposure-to-epoxy/

When using Fiberglass resin of ANY kind ALWAYS use a P2 or higher rated respirator, protective eye-wear and gloves - latex or otherwise
Hope this answers some of your questions.

How to you strengthen weapons? I can't seem to figure out how because Armor is open ended and you can get inside of it, but weapons are closed off. I was just wondering if there is a special way to resin it. Also, are you supposed to resin the inside, or so you just leave the inside un resined?

This is answered a few places on the forums many resin the outside and leave a small hole and mix up some rondo (bondo and resin) and pour that inside and move it around until the inside is completely covered (you should be able to see the surfaces it is on due to the color) and that will typically also seal the hole you made to pour the mixture in

How to you strengthen weapons? I can't seem to figure out how because Armor is open ended and you can get inside of it, but weapons are closed off. I was just wondering if there is a special way to resin it. Also, are you supposed to resin the inside, or so you just leave the inside un resined?

A good way is rondo slush casting, however the down sides to this are a heavy overall weight and brittleness, there are ways of further strengthening them, as well as two parting, using MDF as a build medium and lots of other things. IM me and I'll talk in detail to suit your situation a bit more...

I've seen a few attempt to resin the outside of the weapon and then inserting some expanding spray foam- Though this is quite messy and may cause the model to warp. Of course that depends on the model I suppose. I wouldn't do it with a UNSC weapon (too angular) but it might work well with some Covenant weapons.

Asked this question about a week ago, but would anyone know if it is possible to apply heat (say, through a hair dryer or so) to a rondo'd piece that has been warped to bend it back into position? I have a chest piece where it's caving in a little bit in one spot, and I was wondering if I could just heat it up and push it out, so I wouldn't have to use up as much bondo building it back up.

Asked this question about a week ago, but would anyone know if it is possible to apply heat (say, through a hair dryer or so) to a rondo'd piece that has been warped to bend it back into position? I have a chest piece where it's caving in a little bit in one spot, and I was wondering if I could just heat it up and push it out, so I wouldn't have to use up as much bondo building it back up.

It's worth a shot, I know it works for thin layers of resin, thicker layers of rondo might cause you issues though. Maybe someone else can shed more light on it but I think there shouldn't be much harm in trying it. Just don't overdo the heat or press too hard and I think you'll be fine. Good luck though!

Drew

Rondo in theory could be heat formed if it's not too thick. The problem is if you don't heat enough of an area, you can crack it.

Honestly, when I fudge rondo, I just cut out the bad spot and re-rondo it, a lot easier and you don't risk breaking anything.

fiberglass heat forms a lot nicer than rondo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back