"Help!" for: Fiberglassing, Resin, & Bondo

Status
Not open for further replies.
You should do some reading before asking general question like this. If you go a few pages back you will find your answers. Infact the answer is just right above #1032. It is called aqua resin.

Before shooting off any other questions, read further to understand what most people don't use aqua resin. You will still need fiberglass to help strengthen the armor. You may need bondo as well, but Ventrue, #1034, provided an alternative (if you have read the response).

Please do some reading before asking any further question on this subject.

i know what the awnser to was if you read my post i said i had found a substitute to the resin but what i was looking for is a substitute to the fiberglass because i have allergies against it but thanks anyway

i know what the awnser to was if you read my post i said i had found a substitute to the resin but what i was looking for is a substitute to the fiberglass because i have allergies against it but thanks anyway

Right. Like Ventrue said know the difference between fiberglass and fiberglass-resin. Go back two pages on this thread and read what SpartanGirl uses as replacement, cotton shirt.

yes i know the difference but i was wondering because i have allergies againts fiberglass

The "my doctor said" type of allergy or the "my skin got red" type of allergy? Itching or reddening after skin contact are not unusual and I don't think they are allergies, just as it's not an allergy if you scratch yourself with sandpaper until your skin is red and swollen.
If you mean something else, especially something that has to do with breathing, talk to a doctor. It's probably related to particles in general then and not just fibreglass particles and that may rule out a lot of other materials and activities as well. You should also get a doctor's advice about which respirators are safe to use for you if you have any respiratory conditions.

You can use cotton as a replacement. Results are not as good as with glass, but it works. Cutting up large quantities of that is dusty as well though and might lead to some sort of asthma attack, too, which brings us back to tip #1: When in doubt, see a doctor.

Also, go easy on the people who're trying to help you here. Understanding the full spectrum of what your posts might mean is not exactly easy considering how stingy you are with punctuation marks and capitalisation.

if it makes your skin red, that's normal. I have allergies to dust, but I chose to use fiberglass cloth in the end with great results. I made my Mark VI out of printer paper of all things and after throwing it a couple times after resin, fiberglass cloth and bondo nothing happens~ and honestly, just as I was told, so long as you aren't throwing it all over the place none should really get on you and bother you. wear a dust mask when cutting and respirator when applying. it may get on you if you work with it while wearing short sleeves, i'm not sure, i've been working with it with vinyl gloves and an old sweater.

hi guys.im having problems getting fibreglass.can i get in any hardware store?unfortunetly der is no home depot in south africa so dats a prob

I bought 3M all purpose filler and I asked the guy at lowes if they had any aqua-resin, he said that the all purpose filler would harden paper and apply my fiberglass cloth just like aqua resin

7af28d78.jpg

should i get anything else?

I bought 3M all purpose filler and I asked the guy at lowes if they had any aqua-resin, he said that the all purpose filler would harden paper and apply my fiberglass cloth just like aqua resin

should i get anything else?

I believe you were misinformed. From the quick description I found at 3M, this works like Bondo instead of resin. Resin should be in liquid form. The resin that I use has a tint like a dark tea. I know 3M fiberglass-resin has a lighter tint. Resin is supposed to flow through the fiberglass and soak it.

Google Aqua-Resin and you can tell that you cannot buy this product at any general store. This is an exclusive product that is sold in only certain stores.

If you don't mind working with resin, I suggest that you go http://www.uscomposites.com/polyesters.html

I got all my resin here. I gallon should be enough to complete a whole set of armor. For general purpose, use "General Purpose Polyester Resin".

I asked the guy at lowes if they had any aqua-resin, he said that the all purpose filler would harden paper and apply my fiberglass cloth just like aqua resin

What he forgot to mention is that polyester resin based products are toxic, whereas Aqua-Resin is not. You have to decide for yourself if that is something you need or want.

I believe you were misinformed. From the quick description I found at 3M, this works like Bondo instead of resin. Resin should be in liquid form. The resin that I use has a tint like a dark tea. I know 3M fiberglass-resin has a lighter tint. Resin is supposed to flow through the fiberglass and soak it.

Google Aqua-Resin and you can tell that you cannot buy this product at any general store. This is an exclusive product that is sold in only certain stores.

If you don't mind working with resin, I suggest that you go http://www.uscomposites.com/polyesters.html

I got all my resin here. I gallon should be enough to complete a whole set of armor. For general purpose, use "General Purpose Polyester Resin".

Good thing i needed bondo anyhow! im going to check walmart now for aqua resin.

But that all purpose body filler came with hardener. So should i make rondo?
All i really know about rondo is that alot of people use it. What is it good for as supposed to just applying bondo then fiberglass cloth with resin?

What he forgot to mention is that polyester resin based products are toxic, whereas Aqua-Resin is not. You have to decide for yourself if that is something you need or want.

Are you saying it will work like resin though? just toxic (i have gloves eye protection and respirator or watever its called)

OH crap sorry for the double post!

Good thing i needed bondo anyhow! im going to check walmart now for aqua resin.

But that all purpose body filler came with hardener. So should i make rondo?
All i really know about rondo is that alot of people use it. What is it good for as supposed to just applying bondo then fiberglass cloth with resin?

You can save the effort looking in Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart does not carry it. See here for your nearest seller. Aqua-resin is a lot more expensive.

You can keep the filler/bondo to smooth out exterior surface. I think rondo only works on polyester based resin. I don't think it works with Aqua (water based) resin. If you want to use aqua resin, just stick with fiberglass and resin. It is best that you put two layers of fiberglass/aqua-resin.

Go back several pages and you see some discussion on pro/con on rondo. Rondo is easier to work with but it is not as strong. You can use it on certain places, but don't put on pieces that get used the most. Rondo is brittle once it is cured. A hard hit on it and it will likely to break.

You can save the effort looking in Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart does not carry it. See here for your nearest seller. Aqua-resin is a lot more expensive.

You can keep the filler/bondo to smooth out exterior surface. I think rondo only works on polyester based resin. I don't think it works with Aqua (water based) resin. If you want to use aqua resin, just stick with fiberglass and resin. It is best that you put two layers of fiberglass/aqua-resin.

Go back several pages and you see some discussion on pro/con on rondo. Rondo is easier to work with but it is not as strong. You can use it on certain places, but don't put on pieces that get used the most. Rondo is brittle once it is cured. A hard hit on it and it will likely to break.

:/ I live in the Kentucky, Ohio, West Virginia Tri-State area... :( there isnt any close at all... anything else better like normal fiberglass resin?

:/ I live in the Kentucky, Ohio, West Virginia Tri-State area... :( there isnt any close at all... anything else better like normal fiberglass resin?

If you are who you are, 16 years old, then that's tough. Beside fiberglass-resin, I don't think there is any better alternative. Since resin is toxic, I suggest that you get your parents approval, and purchase the resin online. Wal-Mart carries small size fiberglass-resin, but you probably need 5 of them.

If you are who you are, 16 years old, then that's tough. Beside fiberglass-resin, I don't think there is any better alternative. Since resin is toxic, I suggest that you get your parents approval, and purchase the resin online. Wal-Mart carries small size fiberglass-resin, but you probably need 5 of them.

Yea ive been runnin around with my parents the whole time lol
fdf1f91e.jpg

Which should I buy since i dont get anything over the internet...

Im just going to make 1 Mark VI shin as of now so Im not getting all my supplies for the whole suit im just doing that section so if i think its too hard im not out 100 dollars..

Yea ive been runnin around with my parents the whole time lol
fdf1f91e.jpg

Which should I buy since i dont get anything over the internet...

Im just going to make 1 Mark VI shin as of now so Im not getting all my supplies for the whole suit im just doing that section so if i think its too hard im not out 100 dollars..

You should purchase the can on the left. You realize that this hobby is expensive, right? You can easily spend $300 and above.

Again, I cannot stress that you take all safety precaution when handling resin. There are some threads discussing what you need in the noob forum.

You should purchase the can on the left. You realize that this hobby is expensive, right? You can easily spend $300 and above.

Again, I cannot stress that you take all safety precaution when handling resin. There are some threads discussing what you need in the noob forum.

Yea I understand its expensive lol. Good thing I have a job operating go-karts lol!

Once again CoolC, you have been a big help.. I now consider you my mentor lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back