"Help!" for: Fiberglassing, Resin, & Bondo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bondo is a sandable automotive body filler. It's a 2 part material similar to resin. You have the base putty, and cream hardener. You mix it in the ratio according to the instructions on the can. It's applied to Pep parts in areas where you want to smooth out or fix the shape of. You apply it in light coats, sand smooth when dried, and you repeat this process until the part has the desired finish.

Remember, Google and YouTube are you friend! :)

Bondo Wiki for more info

There are plenty of instructional videos and tutorials on YouTube, all you have to do is search for them. Hope this helps!

Oh, and you can find it at just about any automotive store, as well as Wal-Mart, Lowes, and Home Depot.

Bondo is a sandable automotive body filler. It's a 2 part material similar to resin. You have the base putty, and cream hardener. You mix it in the ratio according to the instructions on the can. It's applied to Pep parts in areas where you want to smooth out or fix the shape of. You apply it in light coats, sand smooth when dried, and you repeat this process until the part has the desired finish.

Remember, Google and YouTube are you friend! :)

Bondo Wiki for more info

There are plenty of instructional videos and tutorials on YouTube, all you have to do is search for them. Hope this helps!

Oh, and you can find it at just about any automotive store, as well as Wal-Mart, Lowes, and Home Depot.

Thanks man, this'll help a lot. I'm making an H2 ODST suit and it's not the smoothest :p

Hi. I'm working on a mask and I've got the pep put together and resined. I'm not doing fiberglass, just the resin.

The problem is my mask still smells almost a week after I've resined it. It's not strong (it doesn't fill the room like resin does), but when I put it near my face I can smell a distinct chemical odor and I know I'm not going to be able to wear it with it smelling like that. I've been leaving the mask outside to hopefully air out, but the smell doesn't seem to have gone away at all.

I can't find any part on the mask that feels tacky like the resin hasn't cured. I'm sure I put enough catalyst in (even a drop or two extra). I didn't add anything else to the mask that could be causing the smell.

What can I do to get rid of the smell to make this thing wearable?

My kids' helmet still smell after a year. I don't believe they are harzardous in anyway, but it just the smell is quite bothersome. To lessen the smell, you could put a fan in the helmet (not sure what mask you are referring to) and blow it directly on the face. To help "burn" the smell, try leave it under bright hot sun. The heat from the sun will kill some of the smell. If all else fails, spray tons of deodorant/household spray and let it dry under the sun.

After Im done fiberglassing a piece, I let it air outside for days, if not weeks. During that time I am already building or working on some other aspect of my costume. If i notice any smell still after all that time, I toss in some baby powder and spread it around all over the piece where I fiberglassed and it gets rid of the smell. I only ever had to do it once though and it was a piece I had rondo instead of fiberglassed.

Thanks for the tips. It's nice out today so I've had the mask in the sun for a couple hours already. I'll leave it out for the rest of the day, weather permitting, and hopefully tomorrow. I'm just getting a little antsy because I've sort of got a deadline on this (well, I'm moving in a week and wanted to make a little more progress on the mask before then). I'll try the baby powder if all else fails.

hello i just wanted to know if anyone know some cheap non-toxic resin other than aqua-resin(not cheap because i have to get it shipped to Sweden and that will cost a lot of money) or acrystal prime wich is wery expensive.

hello i just wanted to know if anyone know some cheap non-toxic resin other than aqua-resin(not cheap because i have to get it shipped to Sweden and that will cost a lot of money) or acrystal prime wich is wery expensive.

If you're looking for non-toxic you can go with liquid plastic from smooth-on or another alternative would be mod podge. You'll have to build up several layers of mod podge to get the firmness.

General question:
Do i put anything on the inside of the helmet besides resin/fiberglass?

Padding, electronics, fans, lights etc...

If you resin and fiberglassed the inside, you dont have to put anything else in for structural integrity though. The only things you would be adding would be for comfort and additions (ie: lights etc)

ehh.. are you saying that aqua-resin or the other stuff mentioned is good or is it something new called IMO? if so then please write a link to a website selling it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back