"Help!" for: Fiberglassing, Resin, & Bondo

Status
Not open for further replies.
alright well I did and it seems to have come out good, the glossy look I'm guessing means it worked, but the problem is it looks like I have some small dry spots here and there. Should I had another coat to the whole thing again, or just dab some aqua resin here and there, or just leave it the way it is?

i personally would put on another layer because i like to make sure that it is sure that all of the resin was soaked up by the paper and i

I wouldn't. If the structural integrity is solid enough, then any more layers would just be a waste of resin, especially if one is using expensive AquaResin.

Also, I keep seeing people talking about resin "soaking into" the cardboard, but in my experience, this didn't happen. When dry, the resin tends to form a hard shell instead of completely soaking through cardboard.

Then again, Colonel Caboose, are you referring to the outer resining stage, or are you fiberglassing, and have dry spots of fiberglass cloth? Either way, an entire extra layer of resin for a few dry spots is overkill in my opinion.

For the record, I did 1 layer of resin on the outside of my suit, and 1 layer of fiberglass on the inside, and the entire thing is plenty strong and durable.

well yes what spitfire said is true but im sorry for the confusion spitfire haha lol i am used to building a suit so that it is string enough for the beating a fast paced paintball war can deliver but using one layer is usually for when you are just using it for show instead of protection like i do

I wouldn't. If the structural integrity is solid enough, then any more layers would just be a waste of resin, especially if one is using expensive AquaResin.

Also, I keep seeing people talking about resin "soaking into" the cardboard, but in my experience, this didn't happen. When dry, the resin tends to form a hard shell instead of completely soaking through cardboard.

Then again, Colonel Caboose, are you referring to the outer resining stage, or are you fiberglassing, and have dry spots of fiberglass cloth? Either way, an entire extra layer of resin for a few dry spots is overkill in my opinion.

For the record, I did 1 layer of resin on the outside of my suit, and 1 layer of fiberglass on the inside, and the entire thing is plenty strong and durable.

I'm on the outer resining stage. There isn't that many dry spots, like only like seven on my entire belt piece and there small.

well yes what spitfire said is true but im sorry for the confusion spitfire haha lol i am used to building a suit so that it is string enough for the beating a fast paced paintball war can deliver but using one layer is usually for when you are just using it for show instead of protection like i do

For protection sounds nice, and while I do love paintballing myself, for the short time being I just need it for show. Though I am curious what does it take to make it paintball strong? Do you add multiple layers or you use other materials besides aqua resin and fiberglass?

it takes about3 coats of outer resin at least 2 layers of fiberglass and one layer of rondo (a resin and bondo mix) one layer of regular bondo and perhaps a layer or 2 of laquer

hi all
i'm a new member of this amazing community
ok lets start
i have my papercraft armor
now i must hardening it
how can i do that?
i want only some simply step for the best way

Last edited by a moderator:
hi all
i'm a new member of this amazing community
ok lets start
i have my papercraft armor
now i must hardening it
how can i do that?

1 you need fiber glass resin, this can be purchased a home depot lows walmart or auto motive stores
2 YOu need a respirator that can handle organic fumes not a dust mask
3 throw a way brushes
4 latex or vinyl gloves
5 faber glass mat or cloth
6 watch a tutorial on you tube

ok hacker-machine the easiest way to harden your paper craft is to use a thing called resin. this is a gel liquid like material used to harden fiberglass when you repair up a car from rust damage as well . few other things to use are fiber glass for use on the inside of the armor and bondo for the outside if you have any more questions send me a message

Hey guys, this is a bit of a noob question...... Is Catalyst an other word for hardener? and will resin melt a bottle of soda (big)? cause i got the resin straight from the factory and they put it in the bottle of soda.... if it does... what container should I use??

thnx in advance

SkullBoy13 as far as I know catalyst could be another word for hardener... About the bottle, I did mi latest mixes(resin) in a bottle, i cut the bottom and had no problem...I've seen other guys who put aluminum foil inside a plastic container. resin won't stick to the foil and you can use the continer again
hope it helps

oh! i forgot...I was fiberglassing my Ironman helmet and now the parts wont fit...they did when it was only paper. do i have to pep it all over again? or is there something I can do to bend the fiberglass so i don't waste the material?

SkullBoy13 as far as I know catalyst could be another word for hardener... About the bottle, I did mi latest mixes(resin) in a bottle, i cut the bottom and had no problem...I've seen other guys who put aluminum foil inside a plastic container. resin won't stick to the foil and you can use the continer again
hope it helps

Hmmm... I think you were talking about the container for MIXING... but i was asking for STORAGE.. you know.. store 'em in the bottle for a long time.. thanks! :) I'm not complainin' or anything, just clearing stuff out.. :D

of course you can use the bottle for storage nit only would it save space but the fact that you can see through the plastic can help you judge how much resin you have left and when it is time to buy some more

Anyone can help me with the question I asked? please...
y really don't want to waste all that fiberglass >.<
Looks like I don't have a choice u.u

now i must hardening it
how can i do that?

Do some research on the forums. You'll find stuff like this: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/34408-All-In-One-New-Member-Introduction-Guide

Hey guys, this is a bit of a noob question...... Is Catalyst an other word for hardener? and will resin melt a bottle of soda (big)? cause i got the resin straight from the factory and they put it in the bottle of soda.... if it does... what container should I use??

A catalyst is something that gets a chemical reaction going. It's kind of a sub-category of "hardener" when you're talking about resin - all resins have some sort of hardener, but not all of these hardeners are catalysts.

Will it melt the bottle... Well, it's stil intact, isn't it? So apparently not.

Okay, I am a low-budget armor building n00b(-ish). I have done all my reasurch, and I've read all that I need to know on how to build the Mark VI Halo Anniversary Armor. So for the most part, I do know what I'm doing.....except for one thing that is. I'm quite unsure how much fiberglass and resin I'll exactly need. I don't have a whole lot of money, so I don't want to buy a crap tone of supplies when I only really needed about $20 worth (doubt that it will be that cheap...). So here's my specs.

The Mark VI Armor I'm building is for my fiance who stands at about 5 foot 8. I am creating all of the pieces in this set,
(-Ab plate
-Back pack
-codpiece (aka belt)
-both biceps
-both foarms
-both thighs
-both boots
-helmet)

Also (not included in the Mark VI blue print),
(-hand gaurds)

So any guesses on roughly how much fiber glass and resin I'll need? (Rough price would be nice to know too)

ok that build should run you about at the most 40 bucks, armor making is pretty expansive but what i would do is finish all of your pep work in the winter and do your fiber glassing and resining and stuff for the summer when there is more sunlight to help dry the resin and stuff and it gives you time to gather the much needed cash to fund your project

That's kind of what I was thinking about doing. It's suppose to be his birthday present and stuff, so I know that I can't do it in a week (without working on it for at least 20 hours out the day), but I wanna get the form and shape together and all the gluing done and then show that to him on his birthday, so then he can help me if he wants to, and then give him the final on our anniversary (anniversary is in summer).

Crzycutie, I used 2 quarts of resin, and 4 packets of fiberglass cloth for my suit. At $11 each for the resin, and about $6 each for the fiberglass, in terms of just those materials, it cost me less than $50. However, don't forget you're going to need brushes, mixing containers, and the required safety gear like gloves and a respirator. And this is just for the hardening step.

You'll need Bondo of you want to smooth the parts (not %100 necessary if you don't want to), and then also paints, etc, plus misc. gear such as straps, buckles, padding, to be able to wear it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back