"Help!" for: Fiberglassing, Resin, & Bondo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, I have a little rondo problem of my own. I can mix it just fine, but when I try to pour it into the model onle about 2/3rds of it actually pour out of the cup. And it runs really slow so it only covers a small section of the model when it should fill the whole thing. This is very frusterating and a huge waste, what am I doing wrong?

It sounds like your mix might be too thick. Try putting in more resin the next time you make a batch. I like to mix up the resin and bondo before adding hardener to make sure the consistency is good.

To add to what satchmo says, a 50/50 mix of resin and bondo will go down REALLY smooth, so smoothly that you can't tilt the helmet too far or it'll start dripping out. You absolutely need to mix the resin and bondo first, and THEN add the hardener(s), mix them thoroughly, and then pour. It's far from an exact science, so you gotta find the mixture that works for you.

Thanks, I will try that next time. The guy who told me said to do 2/3rds bondo and 1/3rd resin, and mix the hardeners all in one go. I didnt think it would follow through, but I see now.

Some people mix them that way, it depends on your needs, and how you want it to pour. More bondo leads to a less dripping mixture, which is good if you want to not worry about it all pooling at the bottom. 50/50 is good if 60/30 is too slow.

Putty for what? There are many different putties that are used in this hobby, so please elaborate and we will be better able to help you.

Sorry, which type of putty is used to surfaces such as the upper part of the helmets?

PS does exist a dictionary of the pepapukura?

I think what you are referring to is not putty. We call it Bondo. I'm now sure what it is called in Italy. It is used as body filler for cars. Usually when cars get a dent, body filler is used to smooth out the surface.

Because bondo is an american name brand. You will want to search for its generic term, which usually consists of some of these words: automotive body filler polyester resin putty. But I didn't see anything when I did a cursory search..

You may have to buy from the UK, I don't know what the brand name for bondo would be in italy. Also, try giving an automotive supplies store a call, a place where you'd buy car paints and other such supplies maybe.

i did not buy the resin of fiberglass yet but how much drops of hardener do u put per ounce? and how many ounces of resin does it usually take to cover a helmet? (recon and commando, not including fiberglass)

i did not buy the resin of fiberglass yet but how much drops of hardener do u put per ounce? and how many ounces of resin does it usually take to cover a helmet? (recon and commando, not including fiberglass)

The side of the resin should have instructions including how much harderner you should add per ounce. It depends on how many coats you are going to do. One coat on one side, I would say maybe 3 - 4 ounces, so to do inside and out 6-8. You're not going to want to do it all at once though, do it in maybe 1 or 2 ounce intervals so you don't waste resin and don't warp the helmet.

do i just put resin on the front let it dry. then fiberglass the inside then paint? or do i have to put resin on the outside let it dry and then put another coat?

You pour resin in a cup, mix in some hardener, then paint it onto the helmet evenly and smoothly and lightly.

If you want extra strength, you can put a layer of resin inside, and a second layer of resin on the outside. It's not always necessary, but it helps support the paper until you can get fiberglass on, as sometimes, the fiberglass can push or pull on the paper with only one layer of resin. But that is a lot of resin, it's not necessary, just be careful with the fiberglass.

Then you fiberglass the inside, at least two layers, letting each one fully dry before doing the next.

ok thanks. sorry one more question. when fiberglass the first coat. can i overlap the cloth or no?

You can overlap the cloth. However, there is no reason to do multiple layers of fiberglass. In my experience, one layer is usually strong enough.

I'd disagree PERSONALLY. One can sometimes be pretty brittle, two gives more strength. But like any craft, it all depends on the person, there is no rule saying one way or another, so you can try one, see if it's strong enough for you. If it is then leave it be, if you want more strength then add another layer.

Hey, I just have a couple more questions.

1. I've bought gloves, and I'm getting respirators and such (Also. We do have resin in australia!) but, do I need special clothing?

2. Do I apply resin just like paint, and do I need fiberglass sheets for it or can I just use the resin?

3. Do I apply the resin the same way I do for the outside of the object?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back