"Help!" for: Fiberglassing, Resin, & Bondo

Status
Not open for further replies.

i think the image is not working here....

Theroden,
Not sure what cream you are talking about. If you are talking about a body filler that is already infused with glass fiber, then yes. If its a filler without glass in it, you can use it, but it will be more likely to chip or crack. If you are talking about an uncatalyzed cream (for scratch filling on auto bodies) that's used straight from the tube with no mixing, then no. That stuff is very brittle, shrinks, and has poor adhesion over large areas.

In any case, you will want to rough up the surface after it's cured before you lay the fiberglass over it to ensure a good and permanent bond. Use a Dremel or course sandpaper. Good luck.

Redshirt

Thanks RedShirt, yes is the body filler with fiberglass(sorry for not make clear, my mother language is not english :).

Then you will be fine as long as the details you are filling are backed with fiberglass cloth or mat and resin. I'll have pics up in a few days of me using the same product on my Spartan Laser parts where I need corners or details to be chip resistant because my prop will see rough service.

Your English is much better than a lot of the native crowd that can't be troubled to spell or grammar check!

Good luck. PM if you have other questions.

Redshirt

hi all , I have a question.
I put the fiberglass inside and just the resin outside , now i should start to use sandpaper , my question is :

the mask have a lot of edge cause poligons to make a curve , to have a perfect curved mask should I sand down the edges and then put the bodyfilling? or I should put now the bondo and create the curve and then sand it down smooth?

sorry for my english

This is a prime opportunity to plug Cereal Kill3r's videos on how to do this.

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php...-Chief-**-A-Step-By-Step-Tutorial-(My-Way)-**

In particular, watch Video 4. It will explain how to smooth out those polygon edges and then fill in the gaps.

The short answer, though, if you don't wish to watch a well made video on how to do this, is to sand down the edges and corners roughly, and then use a card to smooth the bondo into the valley between the edges. However, I do recommend watching the video, it will show you how to do it.

Resin??!

Hey i have a question! :O i am from norway and i am looking for Resin, & Bondo. i dont know what its called in norwegian this is the items i have found and i was wondering if annyone here could help

so this is bondo i think
http://www.biltema.no/no/Bilpleie/Sparkel/Sparkel-36052/
google translate says this: "filler
2-component polyester putty for repair of large bumps and holes. Curing of approx. 10 minutes. 1 kg, with a hardener."

And this i think is resin
http://www.biltema.no/no/Bat/Kjemikalier/Polyester-og-Epoksy/Polyester-36076/

google translate says this:Reinforced with glass fiber or fiberglass mat. For the repair of large holes in the vehicle body, caravan, plastic boats, swimming pools etc. Extremely good adhesion. Adheres to metal, wood, concrete m.m. Highly resistant to vibration. Mix with 2% hardener. Hardens after approx. 30 min at room temperature. ATTENTION! Comes with hardener.

BUT i am not sure at all! i know they sell fiberglass cloth there. but im not sure about this.
Please is you read this and know annyone from this forum that is norwegian or if you are. can you please ask! it would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!!!

Well, those look like they might be okay. The body filler is tough because it is labeled as a spackle, which always sounds bad to me...

If you want to be sure, go to a car store and ask them about "automotive body filler" (the real name for "bondo") or however that translates, and "marine quality fiberglass resin" for resin.

However, the resin you list does say it is for boats with fiberglass mat, which is exactly what you want. The first one is the only one I'm not sure about.

Hi there, I'm new on here. Just joined up today. I got directed here by a friend of mine who has an account and thought I'd get some good help with a current project. I'm working on a costume for Eleanor Lamb from Bioshock 2, in her Big Sister suit;

bioshock_art_eleanor_in-game.jpg

I'm not overly concerned with the helmet piece yet, as I do have the wig and make up needs for her. But any help or advice anyone can give on the rest of the suit would be VERY helpful, thank you :)

Hi there, I'm new on here. Just joined up today. I got directed here by a friend of mine who has an account and thought I'd get some good help with a current project. I'm working on a costume for Eleanor Lamb from Bioshock 2, in her Big Sister suit;

You are linking photos to site that is probably not supported. Please use Photobucket or Imageshack for all your photos.

Well, those look like they might be okay. The body filler is tough because it is labeled as a spackle, which always sounds bad to me...

If you want to be sure, go to a car store and ask them about "automotive body filler" (the real name for "bondo") or however that translates, and "marine quality fiberglass resin" for resin.

However, the resin you list does say it is for boats with fiberglass mat, which is exactly what you want. The first one is the only one I'm not sure about.

why is spackle bad? just wondering because this is my first build and thank you for awnsering!

why is spackle bad? just wondering because this is my first build and thank you for awnsering!

Here in the U.S., spackle is a water-based filler used for patching holes and seams in walls. It has no strength. The product you are looking at appears to be the correct auto body filler. Clearly, your 'spackle' and our 'spackle' are two different things. In any case, the best place locally (anywhere on the globe) is to find the shop where auto collision repair and restoration shops buy their paint supplies. Marine and boat stores are equally likely to have what you need if you are near a coastline. Good luck.

Redshirt

I have found online some resin spray, I am planning a pep with many dips and tucks that look like the brush would have a hard time getting into, would this spray work?

either way is fine. you can make one piece and resin it. while thats curing you can pep the next then resin it, repeating this till you have you entire armor done.

or

you can pep the whole thing, then resin peice after piece.

me, personally, do a mixture of both. i will pep a few pieces at a time then resin them. while that cures, i wil pep 2-4 more pieces, depending on how big and complicated they are

I have found online some resin spray, I am planning a pep with many dips and tucks that look like the brush would have a hard time getting into, would this spray work?

I wouldn't trust spray, it won't have as good of a catalyzer as two part resin, since it is meant to air cure, which means, like how spot putty isn't as durable as body filler, spray won't be as durable as brush on. So long as you get a brush that is not too stiff, you won't have a problem with lots of detailed areas like dips and tucks, the two part resin lays down liquid-ish enough.

The inner parts

Ok, so far I haven't seen this question asked. Though there is hundreds of pages in here, I haven't cracked that much.

My question is, what do you do with the inner part of the helmet ( or any other parts ) after it's been fiberglass. I've seen videos of people fiberglassing & how to fiberglass. But, it has never been mention of what you do to make the inner part smooth so the fiberglass won't cut you up?

Thank you to anyone for info!

Ok, so far I haven't seen this question asked. Though there is hundreds of pages in here, I haven't cracked that much.

My question is, what do you do with the inner part of the helmet ( or any other parts ) after it's been fiberglass. I've seen videos of people fiberglassing & how to fiberglass. But, it has never been mention of what you do to make the inner part smooth so the fiberglass won't cut you up?

Thank you to anyone for info!

Any really rough areas will have to be smoothed with some kind of small grinder like a Dremel tool or by hand with coarse sandpaper. A really thick paint or spray coating can smooth other areas. Truck bedliner paint or rubberized undercoating work well. Do NOT use an asphalt undercoating or an off brand. It takes forever to cure, and smells nasty forever. I use 3M's rubberized undercoating--about 9 bucks, but money well spent. It tries fast and is soft, tough, and durable. If you want to texture your whole suit, this would be an excellent choice as it can be painted. Good luck.

Redshirt

Another way to go is to slush cast some rondo inside the helmet. It is still toxic like resin, but smoothes out the texture. You can then spray paint it to seal the odors off.

i have a noob question

i have a rough idea on how to do fiberglassing, from countless tuts from youtube the only problem i have is finding materials in my area,
i did find something called epoxy resin here in my area from hardware stores, but i dont know where to find the fiber glass cloth , so i was thinking of
making a silk screen cloth as substitute instead. Will that work ? and if the materials i found good enough or can you guys suggest something even more effective

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back