"Help!" for: Papercraft or Pepakura

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whats the best way to apply glue to pieces... I'm using a stir stick with a small dollop of glue to smear on the paper, but I'm wondering if there's a better way...

Whats the best way to apply glue to pieces... I'm using a stir stick with a small dollop of glue to smear on the paper, but I'm wondering if there's a better way...

I used elmers glue and it left it pretty clean. no clumps like the hot glue. but then again I'm just a noob ;-)

Ignoring the spam above me... The most common methods for gluing are:

Super Glue - Pros: Fast, strong, prevents paper fraying. Cons: Fingers!!!!!!! Cost, can't undo errors
White Glue - Pros: Medium speed, medium strength, cheap. Cons: Can get messy if you're not careful, hard to undo errors
Hot glue - Pros: Can undo errors, works well with foam. Cons: Fingers!!!!!! Cost, web messes, using too much.

It's hard not to sound biased, but each one has its "best for" situation, and I think white glue is best overall for pepakura.

I use a thin metal pallet knife to apply quick drying wood glue. I won't give you the brand name because it's only available in Japan.

I put a blob on the tab and then spread it like butter, nice and thin.

2 Questions!
I just scaled my Ironman helmet. I used the ratio method.
I'm 6' and a smidge tall, which came out to be 183cm. The pic I'm using is 25.4ch in length with a 4.9cm helm.
My ratio number was 7.2 (sounds about right for a 6'1" guy) and so multiplying that through I came up to having a 35.28cm helmet.
Does that sound right to any of you? Sounds pretty big for me but I'm new as can be here...

Also... when I input my scale change into Pep, the 2D pattern on the right changes to accommodate the change. The problem is the 'pieces' seem to come off the set pages. Will this impede printing? Is there any way to manually move the pieces? (I could save card too if I could do that as a lot of Peps have unnecessary waste!!)

1. Yes, 35.28cm sounds pretty big. The Iron Man helmet should fit closer to the size of your head. In contrast, my Mk VI Halo helmet is 30cm tall (I am also 6'1"), and MC's helmet is quite a bit larger than IM's. You may have to base the size of the helmet off the size of your head rather than using the ratio method.

2. When you scale any model, the parts in the 2D window will move. You can simply drag them back onto the paper space (rotating and repositioning as necessary). If you find that a particular piece is too large to fit on a single sheet, you can use the "Join/Disjoin Face" command to split the part into multiple parts that will fit on to a piece of paper. (This second question should be pretty basic knowledge you will gain just by using the program and watching tutorials)

L3X BLU3R1V3R has all the female base parts you'll need (minus the boots and handplate) in his own database, here...

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/33480-L3X-s-File-Database

Foam templates are more often than not just modified pep files (as are the case in L3X's thread).

There are also quite a few female parts in the 405th 4shared database. Anything not available in L3X's thread is over there, albeit in pep form for paper. Some modification will need to be made to prep them for foam.

Alright I found a ruler here a the office that works in cm. I was trying to convert from inches and doing a terrible job.
Measuring in cm I get a 24.48cm height. Does that sound more reasonable?

Without a picture of the ruler next to your head for comparison, I really don't know how big of a head you have. My own head is 28cm tall (11" or 27.94cm from the bottom of my chin straight up to the top of my head); but everyone is different, so it may be right.

Without a picture of the ruler next to your head for comparison, I really don't know how big of a head you have.

Amidoinitrite?
WP_000564_zps6eb2b9e3.jpg

My head seems to be osomewhere between 21-23 cm tall, from chin to top, but I'm alone a the office right now so there's nobody around to help me measure!
I guess the extra 1-2cm in the measurement would account for foam lining, glass, bondo and all the other crap that will go into fleshing out the inside so it fits snug. Or should I take the scale down just a touch?
For reference sake, the ruler is touching my cheek there, so it's flush against my face.

Yes, you are correct, I'm also seeing about 22cm (I guess I've got a tall head). If you build your helmet at around 25cm or 26cm it should be close.

Awesome, thanks!! my scale is 24.5 so I think that should suffice for a tight fit. If it's a little too tight I'll adjust later as I doubt my first pep will be my final pep (as it usually goes).

Awesome, thanks!! my scale is 24.5 so I think that should suffice for a tight fit. If it's a little too tight I'll adjust later as I doubt my first pep will be my final pep (as it usually goes).

Double check the width after you scale your Iron man helmet.

IM helmets tend to be tall and thin, so if you scale for height you might find that the width is far too narrow.

Double check the width after you scale your Iron man helmet.

IM helmets tend to be tall and thin, so if you scale for height you might find that the width is far too narrow.
The width is set to 17cm, and my head seems to be right about 13-14cm so I think I'm safe there. Thanks for the heads up though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back