"Help!" for: Papercraft or Pepakura

Status
Not open for further replies.
you need the pepakura designer. you dont have to pay for it unless you wanna save it but thats the only way to scale it

Hello Everyone,

I have recently attempted my first pepakura (a lo-res master chief) it came out okay, my main problem was getting clean strait cuts, i used a brand-new blade, but the cuts never came out perfect. My other problem is getting clean folds on the tabs (especially the ones that go on the curves) On many other porgression videos and threads people have the folds and cuts perfect, Any tips tricks? I just want to be satisfied before i fiberglass and bondo the helmet.

Thanks.

I have recently attempted my first pepakura (a lo-res master chief) it came out okay, my main problem was getting clean strait cuts, i used a brand-new blade, but the cuts never came out perfect. My other problem is getting clean folds on the tabs (especially the ones that go on the curves) On many other porgression videos and threads people have the folds and cuts perfect, Any tips tricks? I just want to be satisfied before i fiberglass and bondo the helmet.

The easy part first: Folding. There's a tutorial about that called "good folds for pepakura" or something like that. The basic idea is to score or indent the paper along the fold lines before folding. Use a ruler for all folds longer than 5 mm and be careful not to accidentally cut flaps off.

Getting clean cuts is a bit more tricky. A fresh blade is important, especially with heavier cardboard. A cutting mat also helps, because these things have a plastic core with a rubber layer on top. When cutting on a cardboard surface, resistance usually increases along the cut, as the blade sinks deeper and deeper into the cardboard. The mats prevent this by letting the blade sink in right at the beginning, but not deeper than about a millimetre.
Also make sure to have good lighting, or the line, the blade and the blade's shadow will confuse your eyes.
And remember that you can turn the page at any time, there are only a few directions in which you will have maximum control over the knife, use these and don't hold it at any weird angles. In general, "pulling" the knife through the paper by moving your whole arm instead of your wrist will produce the straightest cuts in my experience. Moving your fingers and wrist tends to give you curved cuts.

The easy part first: Folding. There's a tutorial about that called "good folds for pepakura" or something like that. The basic idea is to score or indent the paper along the fold lines before folding. Use a ruler for all folds longer than 5 mm and be careful not to accidentally cut flaps off.

Getting clean cuts is a bit more tricky. A fresh blade is important, especially with heavier cardboard. A cutting mat also helps, because these things have a plastic core with a rubber layer on top. When cutting on a cardboard surface, resistance usually increases along the cut, as the blade sinks deeper and deeper into the cardboard. The mats prevent this by letting the blade sink in right at the beginning, but not deeper than about a millimetre.
Also make sure to have good lighting, or the line, the blade and the blade's shadow will confuse your eyes.
And remember that you can turn the page at any time, there are only a few directions in which you will have maximum control over the knife, use these and don't hold it at any weird angles. In general, "pulling" the knife through the paper by moving your whole arm instead of your wrist will produce the straightest cuts in my experience. Moving your fingers and wrist tends to give you curved cuts.

Cool thanks, i think im going to practice on some extra cardstock i have. Thanks for the reply.

I use the 250gsm / 110lb cardstock and a sharp pair of scissors. I also double the size of the tabs, so I have twice as much area to work with for glueing (much easier). I don't bother to change the pep file, just cut a bit more around the tabs when I cut them out. I just use the end of the scissors for scoring, file 'em over so it's a bit more blunt and doesn't tear into the card. Use a ruler to just run the scoring down longer folds, simple, quick and easy.

i Cant open kirrou's odst pep files, might be my computer but does anyone know how i might be able to open it? its the chest piece

I just have the pepakura viewer. and I know to scale it I need the designer. i looked around a little bit but couldnt find any awnsers. do you have to pay for the designer at all?

So if i turned my computer off would i have to re open the designer? cause i wanna get all this stuff right before I start printing it.

From the Pepakura website: http://www.tamasoft.co.jp/pepakura-en/

"Pepakura Designer ... software is shareware so you can download and try it for free. The save and export functions are disabled before registering. Otherwise all functions work without limitation in the shareware version...

Registration is $38..."

As I'm reading the comments, one question I still have is scaling. Should I address that in pepakura or during the cutting/assembling?

Do you have Pep Designer installed in your computer?
XD well yeah! it says that there has been a problem that has forced it to close, usually that happens when i open a super high def model, and as good as this chest is my computer should still be able to open it.... try opening belakors district 9 gun that would be high def!(not that you can he didnt release it...)

As I'm reading the comments, one question I still have is scaling. Should I address that in pepakura or during the cutting/assembling?

Before printing is the only time you can scale your model, after that it's too late.

So if i turned my computer off would i have to re open the designer? cause i wanna get all this stuff right before I start printing it.

Try hibernation mode instead of shutting the computer down. Still, you shouldn't take too much time, Windows tends to install updates and reboot without asking while Pepakura Designer is open...

question about scaling. Whne I put what I think are the right numbers in for width and depth and height and scale it the pieces that are on the apaer are too large for one sheet of paper. Two sheets of paper are needed for the piece I am going to cut out. what do you do in this case???? I am very new to this and still learning. I hope i posted this inthe right spot.

question about scaling. Whne I put what I think are the right numbers in for width and depth and height and scale it the pieces that are on the apaer are too large for one sheet of paper. Two sheets of paper are needed for the piece I am going to cut out. what do you do in this case???? I am very new to this and still learning. I hope i posted this inthe right spot.

You don't change two dimensions, only one. The software will change the other two proportionally.

If a piece is too big for one page, you can split it into smaller pieces with the join/disjoin function. Or you can just print it on two pages and glue the piece-pieces together later, if all else fails.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back