Hey look, another ODST. (WIP) (Pic heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks everyone! I didn't take any pictures myself, but I'm getting someone to send me some pictures from the con, so they'll be up in a few days.

Updates!

Now, you may be asking, "Jimmy, didn't you say you were done with this project?"
To which I reply, "Yes. But I am never happy with my work, so no, I'm not done."

It's true, I'm never truly happy with my work, and at some point, I will just draw the line and stop working, but that hasn't happened yet.

So, there was one thing I did not like about my armor, and that was the visor. It looked good, the shape was perfect, and the color was right, but you could see my face inside my helmet. I knew you could, but I wasn't sure how clear it was, but I have one picture from the con that really shows it off.
389242_358382444204854_100000993035335_1013852_641102550_n.jpg

My face is completely visible, which ruins the appeal of the helmet, so I decided to redo it,

I followed Redshirt's tutorial for painting your own visor. It works really well, and many thanks to Redshirt for posting it.

First I painted the aluminum buff:
293709_3041425434129_1217868455_47706955_1575096184_n.jpg

Then the blue layer.
522149_3041425914141_1217868455_47706957_1387148198_n.jpg

I took the last picture with the flash on just so it could be compared to the original above. Over all, it really helps to hide my face, and I can see really well out of it. Plus, the last visor on it has a few permanent marks on it, so it was really hard to see out of.

I was really tempted to leave it the silver, because the contrast looks really amazing, but the blue is a little more game accurate, so I had to choose it. Also, it really worked in my favor because I didn't have to airbrush the blue on. I still had some left over transparent blue spray, which goes on a little smoother so no clear coat was required.

Notes:
Again, I thank Redshirt for the tut.
I want to do a photo shoot in the next week or two, so I will get some good action shots up. I also want to do a video update at the same time.
I still don't know if I'm doing the backpack, so don't get your hopes up!

Its really easy. Just spray paint the piece of armor the color you want the spots to be, then cut painter's tape in random, organic shapes and place them on the armor. Then spray over the armor with the secondary color, and let dry. Then remove the tape and enjoy! If you are really ambitious, you could make even more spots and add a third color.

Okay guys, a small update!

I have been promising a photo shoot for a few weeks now, but I've been busy with my finals. However, tomorrow is Pittsburgh Comicon, and I will be there, so I'm gonna get a bunch of picture.

To go with my armor, I decided I wanted a prop, so I when ahead and painted my AR.
541098_3160756097321_1217868455_47756718_779461063_n.jpg

Now, I am not happy with this. It warped when I hardened it months ago, thats why I havent worked on it. I would require a lot of work to look right, so I'm only using it as a temporary prop. Since i did this on such short notice, I didn't get around to finishing the magazine. I may put the numbers on the display and have it read "00".

On a side note. I placed a bid on a plasma rifle on ebay yesterday, and... *dramatic pause*... I lost! Oh well, such is life.

Expect finished armor pics by tomorrow night, or Sunday.

That ODST looks damn good. I love the way you redid the visor. My only criticism would be to maybe add some padding under the shoulders. That way it maybe bulks it up a slight bit. Other than that it looks superb!

Thanks man. I was actually thinking about adding padding or something. I'm just so tall and skinny, so my lack of muscle shows in my arms.

Jimmy your build is phenomenal! I stumbled upon it while scouring the forums (prior to being a member) to see if anybody had done a Kirrou and Hugh mix. Low and behold your thread! I found it a couple months ago and finally created an account. i currently still have to pep the thighs and forearms and core chest because of college. Id like to thank you for keeping me inspired with your build it has helped a lot to see such a masterpiece come together! Hopefully youll have another Hell Jumper with you in the next couple months! Thanks a lot -BiffyBob

Glad to hear I helped inspire you! Honestly, hearing people like my work that much keeps me inspired to make more stuff. So thank you!

My best advice to you is to take your time. I just finished my first year of college, so I know how difficult it can be to find time to work. That's one of the bigger reasons it took me so long to do the gauntlets (that, and they were the most difficult). If you don't feel like working, then don't, because that's often when you get careless and make mistakes. Finally, don't rush piece just to see it finished. I spent like a month on my helmet trying to get it just right.

Good luck, and glad to see another ODST!

While I'm here, I guess I'll give an update!

I know I promised pictures form Pittsburgh Comicon... but I forgot my camera because I was in a rush to leave my house. Sorry guys. My girlfriend is suppose to be over this weekend or next to help me make a mannequin (finally) so I'll see if she wants to do a photo shoot (finally).

As for the backpack: I still want one, but it's fairly low on my build list right now. I have it printed (again), but since its not a piece of the main armor, I'm in no rush to get it done because I really want to start another project. I'm still working on a good glove pattern also.

As for the Captain shield: Since I'm finished with college for the summer, I finally have time to work on it. It really should take too much longer, so expect updates in that thread in like a week.

Finally my next big project. It's going to be a scratch build. It's in its planning stages right now, which means I'm gathering references, then I need to to measurement and such. But I can assure you I will be awesome. All I will say for now, is when it is done, I will have a neat gun.

My knees are attached directly to the shins. There is a strap that runs from the back of the shin to the inside of the thigh, and there is a clip in the middle to remove it. That strap has come undone a few times at cons, but the shin is normally fine as long as it can rest on your boot.

My knees are attached directly to the shins. There is a strap that runs from the back of the shin to the inside of the thigh, and there is a clip in the middle to remove it. That strap has come undone a few times at cons, but the shin is normally fine as long as it can rest on your boot.

Alrighty thanks a lot Jimmy!

Guess what! I lied, I'm still making pieces for my armor!

I decided I wanted Hugh's bicep plates for my armor, since my arms are skinny and weak. So here they are:
551832_3472202323282_1912507079_n.jpg

These took all of about two days from start to finish.

Honestly, I'm almost done with this suit. The only big thing left is the backpack. I'm giving it one final attempt, and if it fails then my helljumper isn't getting a backpack. Aside from that, its little detail work, and that doesn't take much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back