How Cold Is Too Cold?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaloGoddess

I need an answer here! :eek

I have been making great progress on my DARE armor and have nearly everything pepped! :) However, it seems that fall has decided to come a bit early here in Michigan and the weather has been pretty cool and some days have just been cold! The sun is out, but the air is still pretty cool. I'm already wanting to wear sweatshirts when I go outside. But that is just me since I get cold pretty easy and I know some people can still wear t-shirts so that doesn't say much.

My point is, I don't know if it's getting too cold for me to do any resin. I don't have a garage or anything so I am having to do all my work in my driveway. I'm also afraid of it being too chilly that my stuff may not properly dry/cure and that my pieces will be sticky. ALthough I've had pieces sticky before, but in just small spots and once I brought everything inside, it was dry after about a day or so.

So I need to know if the weather is still working for me or against me. I would hate to not be able to have my armor finished in time for the release and once it starts getting too cold, I won't be able to resume anything until next summer. :(

try using aqua resin instead of the other stuff. It has a much higher temperature tolerance. Also, you live in michigan? where at? i thought i was the only armorer who lived in the great lakes state.

Das Brutus said:
worse case, get a halogen work light... no worries with that

i agree, or a small space heater, just need something to generate some heat in your work/cure area, more hardener might also work

Last edited by a moderator:
i agree with yoda on this one.

frankly you can get little heater units to help, but if you're payin for your electricity yourself then it'll take a chunk outta that bill. so you COULD do that if you have the extra money to blow on getting your stuff cured.

or you could just spend a couple extra bucks to buy a few extra tubes of hardener next time you head out to walmart or wherever you get your resin an just mix alot more in. but be fast even in the cold that stuff'll cure very quickly.

it'll just be a longer, an messier process since you have to time it an measure the amount right. if you mix too much before you can get it all on the piece you'll have wasted an amount that would've worked. that an if you put too much in, it lets off a horrid gas/stink that is bad for the eyes, so be sure to wear eye protection during this time (this is assuming you're already wearing a respirator), most other times it doesn't let off anything noticeable so it doesn't matter. but if you put enough resin in it will start to smoke a little, an try to eat through ANYTHING you have it in. hahaha be sure the container you're mixing with is metal or something, plastic it'll gobble right up, ESPECIALLY if you add more hardener.

an for the amount you'd need, i'd say LESS than half of the tube, maaaaybe like... just about a quarter of the tube per... half a cup or so... just guesstimating. it's a trail an error sorta thing with getting the right amount depending on how cold it is.

From personal experience outside during winter. I have to say, small risk of somesorts. i did the normal ways of resining. Regular portions of hardener and resin. Took long to dry though. Just have a heater of somesort. Or construct a WarmBox of somesort, with a heat source.

Like everyone is saying above.

-More Hardener

-Big heat source

-Area where the heat can be trapped.

That is your choice. But i say you should find a temp. place to work until it gets warmer. But thats your choice.

It always seems to cold in the UK, so I use more hardener than normal, a halogen light and a heater. Just keep an eye on it, and dont keep it too close. Those fumes can ignite! Trust me :p

if your using extra hardner, just be carefull, at high heats the resin can become very dangerous, also when its was cold over here, my pieces came out fine, just to be sure i went over every piece with an old hair dryer.

ACDCrockr209 said:
Why don't you use a hairdryer.

It gives out alot of heat.

Hope this helps HG.

-Pony

OR use a heat gun

same thing, but for those of us without a crap ton of hair

Awesome! Thanks guys! At least I know that I still work with the cold. I would really hate to have to put this project aside. I've come so far already! :p

OR use a heat gun

same thing, but for those of us without a crap ton of hair

Hey, the crap ton of hair on my head is awsome. It's longer than anybody else's at school(its even longer than most chicks at schhol!!).

I've gotten so many compliments on it, it makes me want to cut it.

========================================

Hope you don't get delayed HG.

-Pony

ACDCrockr209 said:
Hey, the crap ton of hair on my head is awsome. It's longer than anybody else's at school.

I've gotten so many compliments on it, it makes me want to cut it.

========================================

Hope you don't get delayed HG.

-Pony

i'm not saying it's bad

we just don't have it :p

when its too humid here. i just out a hairdryer in a large bow with the flaps a little open so i can keep an eye on it wile i work on anther peace. this should also work with the cold.

Savvy

I'm in Illinois, and it's getting a bit cool here too. I just resined a good chunk of my ODST (curing right now). I used just a bit more hardener than usual, so, we'll see soon enough how well it works.

ACDCrockr209 said:
I know, lol.

Hey HG, question. How exactly are you going to have your hair inside the recon helmet?

-Pony

indeed, since we are on the subject of hair here, how will you do it????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back