How Cold Is Too Cold?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, its already getting cold in some places. My temps still unbearably hot most of the time. And ive got a crap load of hair too, ill probably just roll it up in a ponytail or sumthin like that. When i was doing hayabusa i was planning on having it flow out of the vent thing in the back, but now since im doing odst that wont really work.

Well, last night, the parts I resined cured ok. I brought them in after they had hardened a bit and put them in front of a space heater to finish the curing, and they turned out fine.

mightymints said:
It always seems to cold in the UK, so I use more hardener than normal, a halogen light and a heater. Just keep an eye on it, and dont keep it too close. Those fumes can ignite! Trust me :p

You live in the UK mightymints? :eek You going to the mcm expo in your odst? :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I also wondered about this... I started my helmet last year in the middle of winter. I didn't run into and problems with resin curing, it just took a lot longer to harden completely (like a week). I wouldn't use a hairdryer, it may make it brittle, though I have never tried it so I don't really know. I would buy some extra hardener and use a bit more for each batch. The cool thing about cold weather is that you get more time to work with the resin and bondo. yay!

Ill be fiber glassing some peps soon and I will use more hardener to see if it helps, Ill let you know how it goes!

I need a good suggestion for this too! I live in canada! and it's moving in to winter soon. my garage isnt heated, so what's the best thing i can do? i really really dont want to wait for summer!

well heres a good tip i figured out for myself now the colder it is the more catalyst you will have to use BUT be extremely carefull because if you put to much it CAN and most likely WILL catch fire, water will not put it out either , so i suggest maybe purchasing a foam fire extinguisher just in case of that emergency , there other ways to there "cure boxes" which you can make out of either foam or cardboard because they are great insulators of heat , or get light bulbs which generate heat and make them focus on the object , or a heat gun , now ALL of these options CAN be quite dangerours if not done PROPERLY because well anything can happen.

so just be carefull the way you go with this but make sure that you HAVE ALL SAFETY EQUIPMENT before you go doing those options because it will not be good to see a 405th member with 3rd degree burns .

but basically you can resin pretty much most of the time but i would say dont resin bellow hmm 18 degress celcius or (64.4 degrees fahrenheit) , but then again i dont really know how far cold you can go and still be able to resin, but just remember it WILL TAKE LONGER to harden but to be safe check it the next day because then it will be fully cured by then (if you have mixed it right)

hope this helps and doesnt throw you off because of the possible fire danger ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back