How To Make A Helmet From Pep To Finish

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the color in the pictures I would say that you are using Bondo Premium Gold body filler. It has a different color than standard bondo so no worries there.

Starvinartist,

Thanks man! That's good to know, i was a little worried that I may have done sumething wrong with it. I figured it was ok (since it actually hardened) but never hurts to ask just to be safe.

Starvinartist,

Thanks man! That's good to know, i was a little worried that I may have done sumething wrong with it. I figured it was ok (since it actually hardened) but never hurts to ask just to be safe.

No problems man. I had a similar question earlier when I started using bondoglass. It turns out a ruddy green color that made me wonder. But ultimately if it hardens your safe.

So you have to put bondo, or fiber glass jelly to smooth out the pep lines on the rounded parts? Or do you just sand them down? Thanks so much for all the help by the way.

Alright, so i worked on my helmet all day, and i keep having places, mostly around cut in sections, that keep chipping. I keep re-bondoing these spots, but they keep just chipping off. I am also having some trouble getting crisp lines, sorry if this has already been covered.

BenStreeper do you recomend using fiberglass cloth as well as the bondo once the part is shaped for extra strength or is it not worth the time?

BenStreeper do you recomend using fiberglass cloth as well as the bondo once the part is shaped for extra strength or is it not worth the time?
Yes, more strength is always worth the time

Alright, so i worked on my helmet all day, and i keep having places, mostly around cut in sections, that keep chipping. I keep re-bondoing these spots, but they keep just chipping off. I am also having some trouble getting crisp lines, sorry if this has already been covered.
use a slower setting on your dremel and use different bits. It tales some time to know just which bits will do what, but pics would help me better answer this question.

If you would like to put in a visor what would be the best tool to cut out the bondo'd visor? :3

Agreed with the above, Dremel is what I use to cut my visors out as well as cut down the motorcycle visors to place in

It was mainly on my sander, changed to a finer grit and it seems to have solved that problem. One thing I have been currious about is what to use for the ribbed parts in the jaw of a mark 6 helmet.

It was mainly on my sander, changed to a finer grit and it seems to have solved that problem. One thing I have been currious about is what to use for the ribbed parts in the jaw of a mark 6 helmet.

I cut them out and replaced them with the ribbed tubes used to cover wiring available at home depot

Dun dun dun...... So I tried to mix a batch of bondo the other day so that I would have a good work time with it, and 4 days later it still feels like sticky tack. I went through 3 or 4 sanding pads and it's still not all the way gone. Learn from my eff up, you can mix too cold of a batch of bondo. Also have a question about my chest piece. Is it too small when I can't fit my head through the neck hole? Or is that something that needs to be trimmed to make it work?

Alright, so I'm starting to freak out a bit. I've been working on my helmet for a while now, and it seemed a little big but I figured that with the rest of the armor it would balance out, now I'm not too sure. Is it supposed to look a bit big?

@ BEN. Joined this forum specifically to thank you for the great informational videos... you have no clue of how big a relief it is to have a friendly and informative introduction into this area (before finding these videos i had not even heard of resin.) ... your information is very clear and concise and the time your taking to explain in detail all you can is greatly appreciated. even though I'm finding this thread late just had to give you props for the great work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back