Hughs Odst Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
and it adds more bulk to the armor.

Sounds sweet, bro.

Edit: I can't open the files in the pepakura program. It says that I need the pep viewer.

I wanted to rearange the unfolds abit so I can start printing out today.

-Pony

I'm not going to start a new thread just for this, but I was just wanting to gauge the interest level of the members regarding this project. It's armor I'm planning on building, someday. I created the model in school as a side project during my final compositing class. Took me about two weeks to build.

1_WEB.jpg

It's the protect gear armor from the live action noir film The Red Spectacles. The original design I believe is by Yutaka Izubuchi, who created a single suit for the film. There may have been more, honestly I didn't watch the whole thing. Its very strange.

2_WEB.jpg

Anyways, a lot of people mistake this design for the Killzone enemy due to the glowing eyes. I believe that the killzone design was inspired by this original concept, and later the anime Jin-Roh. The Red Spectacles came out in the 70's or something. I'm not sure, but I know it's old. I really liked the design and decided to make it for a 3d animated skit I was doing.

3_WEB.jpg

4_WEB.jpg

So what I want to know is if there are people that are actually interested in building this? Since this project is so old I'll be willing to do a rough scale and zip the armor pieces so unfolders can work with them. You will only get the pieces showing wireframe in the above pics. The undersuit is just a baggy black/gray flight suit. It seems very straightforward. I know that nightmare armor does armor from Jin-Roh, but in my opinion they didn't do the series justice and I'd like to see some very nice armor come from this. If enough people are down for it I'll try and have the files batched up and released on a separate thread next week or so.

I would definately be interested in building AT LEAST the helmet/facemask. Would go great in a helmet collection particularly with the eyes lit up!

Awesome Hugh! Ill get right in this after I get my nobel six helmet done^^ And it looks so cool when it is on seperate parts :D

Edit: But before I get on it, how big is it? I just want to know if it would fit my head XD

Jico said:
Edit: But before I get on it, how big is it? I just want to know if it would fit my head XD

Thanks! For my helmet the final bounding box dimensions of the model, at their widest points l/w/h:

Length (front to back): 13.07 inches

Width (Side to side): 9.82 inches

Height (Bottom of chin to Top): 11.99 inches

Last edited by a moderator:
Another great model Hugh. If enough people are interested and you decide to release it, I can definitely work at unfolding it for you, and anyone else for that matter.

@pony: he explains that part in the first post, I believe.

Thanks Matt, that would be great. I won't have time to unfold the files. I barely have enough time to work on my armor. Your help is always appreciated!

Awesome work man :D

but you may want to ask one of our awesome unfolders to smooth unfold the files for you, so they can be easier to pep.

Only one person, so you dont get your work plagerized or something :p

Alex spartan177 said:
Awesome work man :D

but you may want to ask one of our awesome unfolders to smooth unfold the files for you, so they can be easier to pep.

Only one person, so you dont get your work plagerized or something :p

I can smooth unfold stuff. I do a pretty good job too! :) I looked at the .pdf file and I saw a lot of areas that could use some improvement for the unfold. A smooth unfold on this helmet would look VERY nice and clean and would decrease the amount of folding you would have to do. :p

Hi mate, first off thanks i especially like what you did with your PDF help file the only question i have is how you went about cutting and joining up all the tabs. When they overlap each other in the pep viewer files provided.

Linehaler said:
Hi mate, first off thanks i especially like what you did with your PDF help file the only question i have is how you went about cutting and joining up all the tabs. When they overlap each other in the pep viewer files provided.

Thanks man. Good question, I built the pieces individually like it shows in the pdf. The parts are made to fit together kind of like a big 3d puzzle. Butterfly clips are your best friend! I used them to align the inner edges of the parts to hold them in place, then slowly removed one at a time and glued each part together. You wont need to use much glue, since you'll probably resin the parts together anyway.

I liked the fact that I could just sit down and finish one or two parts a night before dinner. And if I wasn't satisfied with the proportions or how the build went, I could just redo that part.

And thanks again for everyone's input! I'm glad you guys like it.

Whoa dude, easy on the details man...your going nutz on it!! Very awesome!!!! Just a question...how did you make models like in you first post so awesome looking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back